This Homemade Mashed Potatoes recipe uses a 5-pound bag of white potatoes, milk, butter salt and pepper. With only 5-ingredients, they are so simple to make and a classic, savory, side dish to a holiday dinner or any meal.
Homemade Mashed Potatoes
This my classic recipe for making Homemade Mashed Potatoes. It’s so simple, using a whole bag of peeled & cubed white potatoes with the addition of butter, milk, salt and pepper.
So simple, yet so good.
They are the perfect side to a Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner or any dinner for that matter. The recipe makes enough to feed a crowd or if you are just making it for your family, you can have leftovers for lunch the next day.
If you don’t like white potatoes, you can easily substitute for the same amount in another variety.Check out this Homemade Mashed Potatoes recipe! Click To Tweet
Ingredients for Homemade Mashed Potatoes
-1 (5 lbs./2.27 kg) bag of white (or preferred variety) potatoes, peeled and cubed (about 1″ cubes)
-4 tablespoons butter, plus more for serving
-3/4 cup of whole milk (can substitute you preferred kind of milk), plus more if needed for desired consistency
-2 teaspoons of salt for boiling the potatoes (to be added to the water)
-salt and pepper to taste
-Optional: parsley or your favorite herb to garnish
Tools Needed for Homemade Mashed Potatoes
-a large pot or Dutch oven for boiling the potatoes
-a sharp knife
-Check out the kitchen tools that I use in my Amazon aStore!
- 1 (5 lbs./2.27 kg) bag of white (or preferred variety) potatoes, peeled and cubed (about 1″ cubes)
- 4 tablespoons butter, plus more for serving
- ¾ cup of whole milk (can substitute you preferred kind of milk), plus more if needed for desired consistency
- 2 teaspoons of salt for boiling the potatoes (to be added to the water)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: parsley or your favorite herb to garnish
- Put peeled and cubes potatoes in cold salted water and bring to a boil. They should be done in 8-10 minutes, be sure to test a piece with a fork to see if it's tender and ready. When they are done, remove from heat and drain well. You can mash by hand but to save time you can use a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, put in butter, salt, pepper and ¾ cup milk. Mix until combined, add a little more milk if you wish for a smoother consistency.
- This recipe makes a generous amount of mashed potatoes so you can use half the amount and reserve the rest for your next dinner. Top with more butter, salt and pepper at serving if you chose and garnish with your favorite green herb. Enjoy!
This recipe takes inspiration from How to Make the Perfect Mashed Potatoes from The Little Kitchen. Julie’s recipe is very similar to how my mom always made mashed potatoes. She has some great step-by-step photos in her post too, check it out!
- If you like this Homemade Mashed Potatoes recipe, Check out my recipes from Amanda’s Cookin’ | You might also like my #FoodieMamas recipes | Savory category | Easy Shepard’s Pot Roast Pie
- Check out the kitchen tools that I use in my Amazon aStore!
- Be sure to sign up for my e-mail newsletter for more updates and FREE recipes!
What’s your favorite way to make potatoes? Let me know in the comments below!
Pin this to your “Sides” board! ⇓