Air Fryer “Sun-Dried” Tomatoes are so easy to make in your Air Fryer! These tart, sweet, slightly acidic, and flavorful dried tomatoes are delicious to snack on, in salads, sauces, pizzas, pasta – you name it! Add instant flavor with these delicious tomatoes that are also very good for you!
Estimated reading time: 7 minutes
Table of contents
Air Fryer Sun-Dried Tomatoes
Hi Friends, I am happy to share this Air Fryer “Sun-Dried” Tomatoes recipe because I LOVE the tart, acidic and flavorful taste of sun-dried tomatoes, and wouldn’t you know the Air Fryer, one of my favorite kitchen appliances, is the perfect place to make them.
These Air Fryer “Sun-Dried” Tomatoes are not actually “sun-dried”, they are dried in the air fryer; “Sun-dried” is how we refer to this ingredient/product in the United States, so that is what we are calling them for this recipe 🙂
I think these would make a great edible gift, wrapped up in a mason jar 🙂
Ingredients for Air Fryer “Sun-Dried” Tomatoes
- 1 pound ripe tomatoes, sliced (1/4-1/8 slices/wedges)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil, regular
- 1/2-1 teaspoon desired seasoning mix, optional
- Kosher salt, amount to taste
- Fresh ground pepper, amount to taste
Helpful Kitchen Tools for Air Fryer “Sun-Dried” Tomatoes
I linked (Amazon Affiliate) to all the kitchen tools in the recipe card at the end of the post:
- Air Fryer
- large mixing bowl
- baking spatula
- measuring spoons and cups
- silicone tongs
- serving bowl
- airtight container for storage
What are Sun-Dried Tomatoes?
As quoted from Wikipedia, Sun-Dried Tomatoes defined as:
Sun-dried tomatoes are ripe tomatoes that lose most of their water content after spending a majority of their drying time in the sun. These tomatoes are usually pre-treated with sulfur dioxide or salt before being placed in the sun in order to improve quality. Typically, tomatoes spend 4–10 days in the sun in order for the sun-drying process to be complete. Cherry tomatoes will lose 88% of their initial (fresh) weight, while larger tomatoes can lose up to 93% during the process. As a result, it takes anywhere from 8 to 14 kilograms of fresh tomatoes to make a single kilogram of sun-dried tomatoes.
Health Benefits of Sun-Dried Tomatoes
After the procedure, the tomato fruits will keep their nutritional value. The tomatoes are high in lycopene, antioxidants, and vitamin C. The final products may contain up to 2–6% of salt and could provide a significant contribution to the day’s intake. Sun-dried tomatoes can be used in a wide variety of recipes and come in a variety of shapes, colors, and tomatoes. Traditionally, they were made from dried red plum tomatoes, but they can be purchased in yellow varieties. Sun-dried tomatoes are also available in the form of pastes or purées.
Sun-dried tomatoes may also be preserved in olive oil, along with other ingredients such as rosemary, basil, dried paprika, and garlic.
What is the History of Sun-Dried Tomatoes?
By drying out fresh tomatoes and removing the water content, they can be enjoyed year-round because this delays decomposition.
It is a way of preserving tomato fruit to extend the season that they can be enjoyed.
The exact origin of sun-dried tomatoes is not exactly known.
It is believed that sun-dried tomatoes originated from Italy.
In the United States, sun-dried tomatoes were very popular from the 1980s to the 1990s.
- How to Make Half and Half
- Pan-Fried Fairytale Eggplant
- Wacky Cake
- Red Raspberry Leaf Tea
- Egg In a Hole Bagel
If you try this Air Fryer “Sun-Dried” Tomatoes recipe and like it, please rate the recipe in the recipe card below, and let us know in the comments at the end of the post.
Thank you for reading and following along!
- In a medium-large mixing bowl, add the tomato slices, olive oil and salt and pepper, toss to combine.
- Place the sliced tomatoes in the air fryer basket in an even layer.
- Cook at 240 degrees F(115 degrees C) for 45 minutes or until desired doneness is reached. Open the basket every 10 minutes to check on their doneness. You might want them more juicy or more dry. The type of tomatoes will affect the cooking time, the larger and juicier the tomatoes are, the longer they will take to dehydrate.
- Serve right away (use silicone/non-stick tongs to remove them from the dry basket) or store in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Calphalon 5-Piece Nylon Kitchen Cooking Utensil Set
- OXO Good Grips 12-Inch Tongs With Nylon Heads
- OXO 1063494 Good Grips Turner, Spatula, and Tongs Set - Safe for Nonstick Cookware,3 Piece
- OXO Good Grips Lewis Pepper Mill
- Oxo Good Grips 3-piece Silicone Spatula Set
- Dash DFAF455GBAQ01 Deluxe Electric Air Fryer + Oven Cooker with Temperature Control, Non Stick Fry Basket, Recipe Guide + Auto Shut Off Feature 6 qt Aqua
- Pyrex Smart Essentials 8-Piece Mixing Bowl Set
- Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls by Finedine (Set of 6) Polished Mirror Finish Nesting Bowl, ¾ - 1.5-3 - 4-5 - 8 Quart - Cooking Supplies
- Gorilla Grip Original Reversible Cutting Board (3-Piece) BPA Free, Dishwasher Safe, Juice Grooves, Larger Thicker Boards, Easy Grip Handle, Non Porous, Extra Large, Kitchen (Set of Three: Black)
- Victorinox Fibrox Pro Chef's Knife, 8-Inch Chef's FFP
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 32Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 151mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 1g
Please note that the Calculated Nutrition is an estimate at best.