This classic, French Toast recipe is a basic French Toast recipe that is perfect for a breakfast or weekend brunch. This recipe calls for regular white bread but you can also use sliced brioche or french bread too.
Estimated reading time: 7 minutes
Hi Everyone, a good, solid, basic French Toast recipe, is so great to have in one’s back pocket.
I love making this recipe on the weekends when our family has a little more time than we would to get together for breakfast/brunch.
You can top this French Toast recipe with just about any topping you want. I personally love maple syrup and seasonal fruit/berries – whipped cream is fantastic too!
My kiddos love this French Toast recipe and it’s a nice switch from waffles or pancakes.
French Toast was always my favorite breakfast when I was a kid, so, of course, I wanted my kids to love it too!
I love confectioner’s sugar lightly dusted on top.
I include a list of helpful kitchen tools listed in the recipe card at the end of the post (Amazon Affiliate links).
If there’s leftovers, you can keep them in an air tight container in the refrigerator and use it up within 1-2 days. French Toast is best served fresh, in my opinion.
In the photos, I topped the French Toast with seasonal Wineberries (Japanese Raspberry) that grow in our yard.
I love 100% pure maple syrup and it’s delicious on this French Toast.
What do you like to have on French Toast? Let me know in the comments below!
RELATED: Baked French Toast Casserole
If you make this French Toast recipe, and like it, please give it a rating in the recipe card below and let us know in the comments at the end of the post.
Thank you for reading and following along!
- unsalted butter, for frying
- 15 slices of white sandwich bread
French Toast Batter
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 ground nutmeg
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons granulated white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of Kosher salt (to counteract the sweetness), optional
- confectioner's sugar
- maple syrup
- whipped cream
- seasonal berries
- Add butter in a skillet and heat over low-medium heat and melt the butter.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the batter ingredients (milk, cinnamon, nutmeg, eggs, sugar & vanilla extract and optional pinch of Kosher salt) until combined.
- Dip each slice in the batter, briefly, turn over and place on the heated skillet, turn up the heat to medium heat. Cook 3-4 minutes on each side and then transfer to a plate. Repeat with the remaining slices and adjust the heat, if it gets too hot. Keep your whisk handy to re-combine the ingredients between slices, if needed.
- Before serving, add your favorite toppings and enjoy!
- Makes approximately 15 slices
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
OXO 1 Good Grips Baker’s Dusting Wand for Sugar, Flour and Spices,stainless steel
OXO 1063494 Good Grips Turner, Spatula, and Tongs Set - Safe for Nonstick Cookware,3 Piece
OXO Good Grips 15-Piece Everyday Kitchen Utensil Set
OXO Good Grips Large Silicone Flexible Turner
Wilton Easy Flex Silicone Spatula Set, Your Go-To Tools for Mixing, Folding, Scraping, Cooking and Serving., Blue, 3-Piece
Homestia Gold Measuring Cups and Spoons Set Stainless Steel 8 PIECE for Dry and Liquid Ingredients Engraved Measurement Heavy Duty Baking & Cooking Utensils
Oxo Good Grips 3-piece Silicone Spatula Set
Pyrex Prepware 2-Cup Glass Measuring Cup
Lodge 12 Inch Cast Iron Skillet. Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Skillet with Red Silicone Hot Handle Holder.
Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls by Finedine (Set of 6) Polished Mirror Finish Nesting Bowl, ¾ - 1.5-3 - 4-5 - 8 Quart - Cooking Supplies
Pyrex Smart Essentials 8-Piece Mixing Bowl Set
AmazonBasics Stainless Steel Wire Whisk Set - 3-Piece
Nutrition Information:Yield: 15 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 53Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 30mgSodium: 33mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 0gSugar: 5gProtein: 2g
Please note that the Calculated Nutrition is an estimate at best.