This Maple Syrup Baklava is a classic baklava recipe with a maple syrup twist, it has chopped walnuts, 40 sheets of layered Phyllo dough, olive oil (or butter) sugar, ground cinnamon and cloves, lemon zest, all infused with honey and maple syrup, sugar, lemon syrup. Makes 30-40 pieces.
Estimated reading time: 4 minutes
Maple Syrup Baklava
Hi Everyone, don’t you love sweet desserts that also are also satisfying?
I just love a good piece of delicious Baklava, you only need one (well, maybe two) pieces because it’s sweet.
It pairs perfectly with a hot espresso, coffee drink or black tea.
This recipe makes 30-40 pieces which makes it great for parties and holidays.
Nuts for Maple Syrup Baklava
This baklava recipe can easily be customized by using your favorite variety of nuts.
Walnuts, almonds, pistachios, hazelnuts, or any combination thereof are all great depending on your preference.
This recipe is inspired by the Baklava recipe here on the blog.
I wanted to include a flavor, Maple Syrup, from New England, where I am from.
- Bunny Bait
- Bubble Coffee Recipe (Boba Coffee)
- How to Prepare Tapioca Pearls (Boba)
- No-Knead Bread
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Eggs
Check out our Recipe & DIY indexes, visit our Home page to view our latest posts & categories, visit our Blog page to see our posts in consecutive order and, our Shop to see our favorite kitchen tools!
If you try this Baklava recipe and like it please give it a recipe rating in the recipe card below and let us know in the comments at the end of the post, thank you for reading and following along!
- 1 1/2 pounds walnuts, chopped (you can substitute your favorite nuts or mixture of nuts) *see notes
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 ground cloves
- zest of 1 fresh lemon
- 40 sheets Phyllo Dough (9"x14" thawed, store-bought) **see notes
- 1 cup regular olive oil (what I use) or the same amount melted unsalted butter (You can also use cooking spray)
Maple Syrup-Honey Syrup
To Make the Baklava
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Add the mixture to a food processor and pulse to chop finely. In a large mixing bowl, combine walnuts (or other nuts), 1/2 cup granulated white sugar, cinnamon, cloves, and lemon zest. Mix evenly.
- Grease a 9x13 inch baking pan with regular olive oil, layer 20 sheets of Phyllo dough, using a pastry brush to brush each layer with olive oil.
- Add 1/2 the walnut mixture, spread evenly.
- Layer 5 more sheets of Phyllo dough and brush olive oil on each sheet.
- Add the remaining walnut mixture and spread evenly.
- Add the remaining 15 sheets of Phyllo dough, brush evenly with olive oil between each sheet.
- Using a sharp knife, cut through the Phyllo dough in a diamond or square pattern, making 1 1/2 inch 30-40 pieces. (see photos in post)
- Bake in your preheated oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour (for me, it's usually done at 45 minutes). While it's baking you can make the honey-sugar syrup.
Baklava Maple-Honey Sugar Syrup
- In a medium saucepan, add all the ingredients and whisk together, bring to a boil, simmer for 10 minutes. Remove lemon peel when done.
- When the Baklava is done, pour the maple syrup honey sugar-syrup evenly over the cooked Baklava. Allow the Baklava to cool completely to absorb the syrup. The syrup will thicken as it cools.
- Serve the Maple Syrup Baklava warm, cold, or reheated. Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
OXO Good Grips Silicone Basting & Pastry Brush - Large
Cuisinart 719-16 Chef's Classic Stainless Saucepan with Cover, 1 1/2 Quart
AmazonBasics Stainless Steel Wire Whisk Set - 3-Piece
Pyrex Smart Essentials 8-Piece Mixing Bowl Set
Wilton Easy Flex Silicone Spatula Set, Your Go-To Tools for Mixing, Folding, Scraping, Cooking and Serving., Blue, 3-Piece
Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls by Finedine (Set of 6) Polished Mirror Finish Nesting Bowl, ¾ - 1.5-3 - 4-5 - 8 Quart - Cooking Supplies
Homestia Gold Measuring Cups and Spoons Set Stainless Steel 8 PIECE for Dry and Liquid Ingredients Engraved Measurement Heavy Duty Baking & Cooking Utensils
Pyrex Prepware 2-Cup Glass Measuring Cup
Pyrex Glass Measuring Cup Set (3-Piece, Microwave and Oven Safe),Clear
Nutrition Information:Yield: 30 pieces Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 370Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 217mgCarbohydrates: 50gFiber: 3gSugar: 27gProtein: 6g
Please note that the Calculated Nutrition is an estimate at best.