Thanksgiving Menu 2019 – I’m sharing what we served at our Thanksgiving dinner this year, going over what worked and what could be improved on for next year.
Estimated reading time: 5 minutes
Table of contents
Thanksgiving Menu 2019
Hi Everyone, I am sharing what we served for our 2019 Thanksgiving Dinner.
This was our 3rd year in a row hosting at our home and this year my parents were able to make it for the first time (now that they are both retired!)
I’m also sharing somethings that worked well and somethings that I would like to improve on to make the holiday go smoothly for next year.
RELATED: My Complete Thanksgiving Guide
P.S. – The family photo I shared is from my @preppyroots Instagram account which is my life stuff IG account, follow me there to see content that’s more lifestyle-oriented vs. food-related as on my @lifeslittlesweets IG account.
- Spreadsheet – Every year, I do a google spreadsheet and this year it really helped keep my brain organized and coordinated. I make note of who is bringing what and color code as things get cooked to help me see my progress, I also record what I want to accomplish each day so that I can stay on track
- 1 Large Table – having 1 large table instead of having a kids table and adult table – this worked because I usually have to help my kids somehow with eating so it was best to have them close to me and it was nice to have everyone sitting around one large table
- Dessert Table – I had all the desserts on a sideboard as the “Dessert Table” and that went exceptionally well. It was great to have the desserts, ready to go, in one area, with extra plates, napkins and utensils.
What Would be Better
- Last Minute Changes – making sure we don’t do any last minute changes (almost everyone made some), there were some last minute changes and we had some similar dishes. It didn’t make too much of a difference but it would be nice not to have any repeats
- Working Ahead More – making sure that I do my sides and gravy a day ahead – that was the intention but it didn’t work out that way this year – there’s always next year!
- More Gravy Boats – having an extra gravy boat – it would have been nice to have one at both ends of the table. This was the first year we did 1 long table, so I did not need 2 gravy boats before (also, the first year we had 12 people, including kiddos!)
- Beverage Area – have a designated beverage area; I sort of had one but it was a bit crammed and it would be nice to have one that was more spread out with glasses and ice ready to go.
- Vintage Recipes – After Thanksgiving, I was researching vintage Thanksgiving recipes, I think it would be fun to have a few of those grace the table or at least test some out for the blog, think “Cranberry Jello Salad” and the like 🙂
- More Recipes – I would love to include more classic, standard Thanksgiving recipes like Creamed Corn, Candied Sweet Potatoes (Yams), Parker House Rolls, Duchess Potatoes/casserole, Dressing/Stuffing (I have a great recipe I have served that I would like that share soon on the blog) or Creamed Spinach and Pearl Onions – things I remember my paternal Grandparents serving for nostalgia’s sake – I love nostalgic food!
RELATED: Thanksgiving Menu (2017) and Black Friday Super Sunday Cyber Monday Favorites 2019
- This year we had a mash of of Thanksgiving and Christmas because my parents were in town from New Hampshire and I know not everyone would be all together for Christmas. My mom suggested having a “Yankee Swap” which was very fun. I think it’s great because it’s a fun game, an ice breaker and gift-giving all in one. It was the first time Eric’s family had ever done one!
I would love to hear how your Thanksgiving celebration went?
What worked well?
Where did you celebrate?
Please let me know in the comments below!
Our Other Recipes and Posts
If you like this Thanksgiving Menu 2019 post, check out our other recipes and posts on the blog:
- Dumpling Recipes Collection
- Holiday Side Dish Recipes Collection
- Peach Cobbler Recipe
- Blueberry Cobbler Recipe
- Friendsgiving Menu
- Oatmeal Recipes Collection
- Pumpkin Recipes Collection
- Halloween Recipes Collection
- Simple Syrups Recipe Collection
- Strawberry Galette
- Cherry Recipes Collection
- Halloween Recipes Collection
- Soup Recipes Collection
- Quick Breads Recipe Collection
- No-Knead Bread Rolls
- Ice Cream Recipes Collection
- Slow Cooker Crock-Pot Butter Corn
- Apple Recipes Collection
- Basil Recipes Collection
- Blackberry Recipes Collection
- Lemon Rosemary Salmon
- Thanksgiving Sides Recipes Collection
- Root Beer Float Recipe
- Perfect Sage Thyme Butter Whipped Potatoes