Estimated reading time: 7 minutes
Blackberry Mint Simple Syrup has crushed fresh blackberries in a mint-infused simple syrup base. This makes a perfect ingredient for cocktails, mocktails, sodas, dessert recipes, and more!
Blackberry Mint Simple Syrup
Hi Everyone, the possibilities are endless with this Blackberry Mint Simple Syrup.
How long does simple syrup last in the fridge?
Simple syrup is a mixture of sugar and water and is often used to sweeten beverages and cocktails, as well as to moisten and sweeten cakes. When stored in the refrigerator, it can have a relatively long shelf life due to the preservation qualities of sugar and the absence of perishable ingredients. Here are some general guidelines for how long simple syrup can last in the fridge:
- Basic Simple Syrup (1:1 ratio of sugar to water): This type of simple syrup, made by dissolving equal parts of sugar and water, can typically last in the refrigerator for up to 1 month. Make sure to store it in a clean, airtight container to prevent contamination.
- Rich Simple Syrup (2:1 ratio of sugar to water): Rich simple syrup, which uses twice as much sugar as water, can last even longer. It can typically be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 months. Again, proper storage is essential.
- Flavored Simple Syrup: If you’ve infused your simple syrup with flavors such as herbs, spices, or citrus zest, it may have a slightly shorter shelf life due to the added ingredients. Flavored simple syrups can typically last for about 1-2 weeks in the fridge. The freshness and potency of the added flavors may decrease over time.
Remember to keep your simple syrup in a clean, sealed container to prevent any mold or bacteria growth. If you notice any changes in color, odor, or texture, or if you see any signs of mold or spoilage, it’s best to discard the syrup.
Additionally, you can extend the shelf life by adding a small amount of vodka or another clear, high-proof spirit to your simple syrup, which acts as a preservative. However, this is usually not necessary for syrups that are consumed relatively quickly.
When in doubt, use your senses to determine if the simple syrup is still good. If it looks, smells, or tastes off, it’s best to make a fresh batch to ensure safety and flavor quality.
- Instant Pot Split Pea Soup
- Instant Pot Red Mashed Potatoes
- Pork Cabbage Potsticker Wonton Dumplings (Steamed or Fried)
- Banana Cinnamon Sugar Dumplings
- 14 Healthy Recipes
If you try this Blackberry Mint Simple Syrup recipe, let us know in the comments at the end of the post, and let us know what recipe you use it in.
Thank you for reading and following along!
- 1/4 cup blackberries
- 3 fresh mint leaves
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 cup water
- No-heat method: Crush 1/4 cup of blackberries and add them to a jar, add 2-3 mint leaves (I use apple mint or spearmint), add 1 cup sugar and 1 cup water, put a lid on the jar (tightly), and shake it until the sugar is dissolved. At this point, you can leave it overnight in the fridge to infuse. The next day, you can strain the blackberry seeds and mint leaves out and now the simple syrup is ready to use, enjoy!
- Heat method: In a saucepan over medium heat, add all the ingredients and stir with a whisk until the sugar is dissolved, remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature. Pour the mixture through a strainer, into a mason jar with a lid and cover.
- Storage: For a simple syrup like this that is a 1:1 ration of sugar and water you can store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 month. Discard if you see any mold or bacteria growth.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. #CommissionsEarned #ad
Swing Top Glass Bottles - Flip Top Brewing Bottles For Kombucha, Kefir, Beer - Clear Color - 16oz Size - Set of 6 - Leak Proof Easy Caps, Bonus Gaskets, Chalkboard Labels and Pen - Fast Clean Design
Weck Mold Jar Combo Packs (Standard)
2 Mason Jar Wide Mouth 32 oz. (Quart) with Lid and Band - Clear
AmazonBasics Stainless Steel Wire Whisk Set - 3-Piece
Cuisinart 719-16 Chef's Classic Stainless Saucepan with Cover, 1 1/2 Quart
Homestia Gold Measuring Cups and Spoons Set Stainless Steel 8 PIECE for Dry and Liquid Ingredients Engraved Measurement Heavy Duty Baking & Cooking Utensils
Pyrex Glass Measuring Cup Set (3-Piece, Microwave and Oven Safe),Clear
Creative Co-Op Floral Hand Stamped Stoneware Measuring Cups (Set of 4 Sizes/Designs)
OXO Good Grips 15-Piece Everyday Kitchen Utensil Set
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 805Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 22mgCarbohydrates: 206gFiber: 4gSugar: 201gProtein: 2g
Please note that the Calculated Nutrition is an estimate at best. If you make this recipe and love it, remember to stop back and give it a 5-star rating – it helps others find the recipe!
- First published: 10/31/2023