Hibiscus Tea: This post originally appeared on the bMAKER blog as Hibiscus Tea Recipe.
This Hibiscus Tea recipe uses dried hibiscus flowers and can be served unsweetened or sweetened with honey or your favorite sweetener and garnished with lime slices. Enjoy the many health benefits of hibiscus with this lovely warm weather sipper! (vegan option, gluten-free)
Estimated reading time: 5 minutes
Table of contents
Hi Everyone, looking for the perfect, fruity and refreshing warm weather tea?
This Hibiscus Tea recipe is an unexpected, fresh alternative to lemonade or regular iced tea.
The natural bright red-hot pink color is so beautiful and would surely brighten up any brunch or party.
My Mother-in-Law was telling me about her trips to Mexico where it is a popular drink.
She enjoys it with turbinado (course) sugar and not overly sweet.
She says that fruit can also be added to it, and wine (white or rosé), or sparkling water.
I have tried it with white wine and find that combination very refreshing!
Health Benefits of Hibiscus Tea
There are many health benefits to having Hibiscus Tea, according to Medium.com (source):
The health benefits of hibiscus tea include relief from high blood pressure and high cholesterol, as well as digestive, immune system, and inflammatory problems. It helps to cure liver disease and reduces the risk of cancer.
- 1/2 cup dried hibiscus flowers
- 8 cups water
- lime slices for garnishing and serving
- (optional) 1 cup granulated white sugar or honey to sweeten
- ice for serving
- large pot for boiling water
- tea infuser
- beverage dispenser container for serving
- glasses for serving
- ice cube trays
- chef’s knife, if using lime
- cutting board, if using lime
Our Other Tea and Drink Recipes
- How to Make Chrysanthemum Flower Tea (2019)
- Heather Flower Tea (2019)
- Blue Butterfly Pea Flower Tea Recipe (2018)
- Thai Iced Tea (2018)
- Cold Brew Hibiscus Tea (2018)
- Passion Flower Tea (2019)
- Fresh Basil Flower Tea (2017)
- Fresh Mint Tea (2017)
- Citrus Honey Ginger Tea (2016)
- Cold-Brewed Smashed Raspberry Honey Iced Tea (2015)
- Related: Home Brew Kombucha (2019)
- Hops Golden Milk (2018)
- Blue Butterfly Pea Flower Lemonade (2018)
- Rosewater (2018)
I know you will love this refreshing, healthy and beautiful Hibiscus Tea recipe!
- Mixed Summer Berry Trifle
- Apple Cider Vinegar Drink Recipe
- Lavender Lemonade Recipe
- Lilac Flower Tea
- Lavender Rose Shortbread Recipe
Our Other Recipes and Posts
- Cold Drinks Recipe Collection
- Fresh Mint Tea
- Tea Recipes Collection
- Simple Syrups Recipe Collection
- Butterfly Pea Flower Gin Mule
- Blue Butterfly Pea Flower Recipe Collection
- Blue Butterfly Pea Flower Tea Latte (Mermaid Latte)
This post was originally published on 6/21/2018 and updated and republished on 5/13/2021
- 1/2 cup dried hibiscus flowers
- 8 cups water
- 1/2 cup granulated or turbinado sugar, or 1/4 cups honey
- 2 limes, sliced, for garnishing or to add to the serving container
- Bring 8 cups of water to a boil (about 5 minutes).
- Add 1/2 cup dried hibiscus flowers to a tea diffuser.
- When water is boiling, add the prepared tea diffuser to the hot water.
- Remove from heat onto a trivet to allow to steep for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove diffuser after 15-20 minutes. At this point, if you wish to enjoy the tea hot, you can. You can also mix in your desired sweetener (sugar or honey) at this point and stir to combine.
- After the tea is cooled to room temperature, transfer it to a large pitcher or beverage serving dispenser. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours until cold or overnight.
- Before serving, add ice (optional) and sliced lime (optional) in the pitcher/beverage dispenser and for garnishing. Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Anchor Hocking Heavy Base Highball Drinking Glasses, 15 oz (Set of 12)
- Libbey Heavy Base Tumbler Glasses, Set of 8
- Anchor Hocking Heritage Hill Glass Beverage Dispenser with Spigot, 2 Gallon
- 2 Gallon Glass Beverage Dispenser with Infuser, Metal Base, Stainless Steel Spigot & Hanging Chalkboard - Outdoor Drink Dispenser for Lemonade, Tea, Cold Water & More
- Outdoor Glass Beverage Dispenser with Infuser, Ice Bucket Stand, Stainless Steel Spigot & Hanging Chalkboard - 1.5 Gallon Outdoor Drink Dispenser for Lemonade, Tea, Cold Water & More
- eHomeA2Z Syrup Dispenser Honey Pot Glass Jar Commercial Quality With Cast Zink Top (1, 14 Oz)
- Organic Hibiscus Flowers | Loose Tea (200+ Cups) | Cut & Sifted | 16oz/453g Resealable Kraft Bag |100% Raw From Egypt | by FGO
- Fu Store 2pcs Stainless Steel Mesh Tea Ball 2.1 Inch Tea Infuser Strainers Tea Strainer Filters Tea Interval Diffuser for Tea
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 88Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 11mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 0gSugar: 22gProtein: 0g
Please note that the Calculated Nutrition is an estimate at best.