Roasted Sorrel Chips are lemony, a little tart, briny, crisp, and a healthy, vegan snack. It takes only 3 ingredients and about 15-20 minutes in the oven and you have a healthy, plant-based, vegan snack!
Estimated reading time: 4 minutes
Roasted Sorrel Chips
Hi Everyone, ever wonder what to do with sorrel?
Perhaps you got it in your CSA share box or picked it up at the farmer’s market or maybe you decided to grow it in your kitchen garden.
It’s such a unique-tasting plant and lends itself so well to salads, quiche, and other recipes – but why not as chips?
Just like kale chips, sorrel leaves can be roasted in the oven to be a crisp, healthy treat with minimal ingredients.
They are tart, lemony, briny, and entirely plant-based!
What is sorrel?
Sorrel is a small, green, edible plant from the Polygonaceae family.
It is in the name family as buckwheat and rhubarb.
When is sorrel in season?
From early spring into late fall.
The leaves do get more intense in flavor as the season progress.
- 8 ounces of sorrel leaves, washed and dry
- olive oil
- kosher salt
- measuring spoons
- silicone baking mat or parchment paper
- rimmed baking sheets
- oven mitts
- plate, for serving
If you make this recipe, and like it, please give it a rating in the recipe card below and let us know in the comments at the end of the post.
Check out our Recipe & DIY indexes, visit our Home page to view our latest posts & categories, visit our Blog page to see our posts in consecutive order and, our Shop to see our favorite kitchen tools!
Thank you for reading and following along!
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees F.
- Spread the prepared sorrel leaves evenly out on 2 or more rimmed baking sheets. Drizzle the olive oil (enough to coat the leaves) on it and sprinkle the kosher salt. Massage in the olive oil and salt so that the leaves are coated.
- Bake for 15 minutes, check on them partway, turn any over that are ready to be turned over using tongs. If some are ready to be taken out place them on a plate. To check for doneness, the sorrel chips should be rigid. Bake an additional 3-5 minutes at a time until they are done. (20 minutes usually works for me! It also depends on the size of the leaves) Be careful not to burn them, they should be crisp but not burnt.
Preparation: The sorrel leaf stems should either be removed, or you can leave them on to hold the sorrel chips as you eat them and then discard them (because they may be tough and fibrous). If you leave them on, it can lead to a longer baking time.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- If You Care FSC Certified Parchment Baking Paper, 70 sq ft (Pack of 2)
- NEW OXO Good Grips Easy-Clean Compost Bin, Charcoal - 0.75 GAL/2.83 L
- Extra Long Professional Silicone Oven Mitt - 1 Pair - Oven Mitts with Quilted Liner - Red - Homwe
- Aozita 17oz Glass Olive Oil Bottle - 500ml Dark Brown Oil & Vinegar Cruet with Pourers and Funnel - Olive Oil Carafe Decanter for Kitchen
- Pompeian USDA Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, First Cold Pressed, Full-Bodied Flavor, Perfect for Vinaigrettes and Marinades, Naturally Gluten Free, Non-Allergenic, Non-GMO, 24 FL. OZ., Single Bottle
- Maldon Sea Salt Flakes 1.5kg/3.3lbs Tub
- Totally Bamboo Salt Box, Bamboo Storage Box with Magnetic Swivel Lid, "Salt" Engraved on Lid
- Morton Salt Kosher Salt, 3 lbs, Pack of 2
- OXO Good Grips 12-Inch Tongs With Nylon Heads
- OXO Good Grips 15-Piece Everyday Kitchen Utensil Set
- Aidea Acacia Wooden Salad Bowl - 12.5 Inch Hardwood with Servers Set Big Salad Bowl 3-Piece Set
- Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls by Finedine (Set of 6) Polished Mirror Finish Nesting Bowl, ¾ - 1.5-3 - 4-5 - 8 Quart - Cooking Supplies
- Nordic Ware Natural Aluminum Commercial Baker's Half Sheet (2 Pack), Silver
- AmazonBasics Silicone Baking Mat Sheet, Set of 2
- Silpat AE420295-07 Premium Non-Stick Silicone Baking Mat, Half Sheet Size, 11-5/8-Inch x 16-1/2-Inch (2 pack)
- OXO Good Grips Salad Spinner, Large
- MUELLER Large 5L Salad Spinner Vegetable Washer with Bowl, Anti-Wobble Tech, Lockable Colander Basket and Smart Lock Lid - Lettuce Washer and Dryer - Easy Water Drain System and Compact Storage
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 86Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 162mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 2gSugar: 0gProtein: 4g
Please note that the Calculated Nutrition is an estimate at best. If you make this recipe and love it, remember to stop back and give it a 5-star rating – it helps others find the recipe!