New York Crumb Cake is a classic breakfast, snack, or dessert cake that goes wonderfully with coffee or tea. It makes 1 9 x 13-inch pan with 12 slices.
Estimated reading time: 8 minutes
New York Crumb Cake
Hi Everyone, I’m excited to share with you my FAVORITE New York Crumb Cake recipe! I love this crumb cake for a sweet breakfast or brunch option, snack or dessert.
This is a recipe I will make on the weekends usually or to bring for a brunch gathering. It’s delicious and everyone always likes it. It makes 1 9 x 13 inch pan, so there’s always plenty to share.
This recipe is inspired by “New York Crumb Cake” by Martha Stewart.
Sometimes, I just crave a good crumb cake, when I was little, I used to love the Entenmann’s brand of crumb cake – are you familiar with that brand? Believe me, having it, homemade, fresh baked from the oven is WAY better!
At the time of my writing this recipe post, I am very close to my due date in the pregnancy of my 3rd child. This New York Crumb Cake is definitely one of my 3rd trimester pregnancy cravings. When I made this recipe, it really hit the spot for that craving.
My husband and kiddos also love this New York Crumb Cake, so it’s a crowd-pleaser, all around in our house! It was gone in less than a day and a half.
I love how moist and vanilla-infused the cake base is in this New York Crumb Cake, it has like a “give” to it when you bite into it. Yum!
RELATED: How to Make Homemade Vanilla Extract
What if you are out of unsalted butter?
Canola oil work around: You can use 3/4 cup Canola oil (or flavorless vegetable oil) in place of unsalted butter for the crumb topping. The topping will be much more crumbly with this option, however, but if you are out of unsalted butter, it’s a way of making the recipe work.
RELATED: Snickerdoodle Cookie Bars
RELATED: 7 Layer Dip
RELATED: Orange Cranberry Crumb Cake
RELATED: No Bake Peanut Butter Bars
If you make this New York Crumb Cake recipe and like it, please give it a rating in the recipe card below and let us know in the comments at the end of the post. Thank you for reading and following along!
- 2 tablespoons Canola oil, plus more for greasing the pan
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon (Saigon cinnamon is more fragrant)
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 tablespoons confectioner's sugar for dusting the top, before serving or amount to taste
- Make sure the rack is set up in the center of your oven. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Grease the 9 x 13 inch pan and set aside.
- Make the Batter: In a medium-large mixing bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, granulated white sugar, baking powder and Kosher salt. In another large mixing bowl, combine egg, milk, Canola oil and vanilla extract. Fold the dry ingredients into the egg mixture. Spread the batter into the prepared pan. Using an offset spatula, spread the batter to all the edges.
- Make the Crumb Topping: In a medium mixing bowl, add 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour, dark brown sugar and cinnamon. Add the melted butter over the flour mixture, toss the mixture until large crumbs form. Sprinkle the crumb topping over the batter.
- Bake the Cake: Bake for 20 minutes, turning/rotating 10 minutes into baking. A knife or toothpick should come out clean when it's done. (I sometimes have to bake 5 minutes longs for a total of 25 minutes). When the cake is done, place the cake on a wire rack in the pan to cool. Before serving, dust with confectioner's sugar. You can use a bench/dough scraper (or a serrated knife) to cut the cake.
- Storage: Store in an air-tight container for up to 3 days.
- What if you are out of unsalted butter? Canola oil work around: You can use 3/4 cup Canola oil (or flavorless vegetable oil) in place of unsalted butter for the crumb topping. The topping will be much more crumbly with this option, however, but if you are out of unsalted butter, it's a way of making the recipe work.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Wilton Easy Flex Silicone Spatula Set, Your Go-To Tools for Mixing, Folding, Scraping, Cooking and Serving., Blue, 3-Piece
- Pyrex Easy Grab Glass Bakeware and Food Storage Set (8-Piece, BPA-free)
- AmazonBasics Stainless Steel Wire Whisk Set - 3-Piece
- Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls by Finedine (Set of 6) Polished Mirror Finish Nesting Bowl, ¾ - 1.5-3 - 4-5 - 8 Quart - Cooking Supplies
- Pyrex Smart Essentials 8-Piece Mixing Bowl Set
- Pyrex Prepware 2-Cup Measuring Cup, Red Graphics, Clear
- Homestia Gold Measuring Cups and Spoons Set Stainless Steel 8 PIECE for Dry and Liquid Ingredients Engraved Measurement Heavy Duty Baking & Cooking Utensils
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 291Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 19mgSodium: 213mgCarbohydrates: 57gFiber: 1gSugar: 25gProtein: 5g
Please note that the Calculated Nutrition is an estimate at best.