This Blue Butterfly Pea Flower Tea Latte (Mermaid Latte) has a gorgeous ocean blue color due to the blue butterfly pea flower tea. You can add steamed milk or half and half or substitute it with a dairy-free/non-dairy milk option if you wish. It is topped with honey, maple syrup, or sweetener of your choice. (vegetarian/vegan option)
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes
Table of contents
Blue Butterfly Pea Flower Tea Latte (Mermaid Latte)
Hi Everyone, I have a new, unique tea latte recipe for you, this Blue Butterfly Pea Flower Tea Latte, also known as Mermaid Latte because of its pretty, all-natural, ocean-blue, color.
What does Blue Butterfly Pea Flower Tea taste like?
It has a unique taste, it’s fresh, floral, mild, and pleasant.
I think it’s kind of like Hibiscus tea but much less tart. It goes great with honey!
When milk is added is just tastes more “milky” and full-bodied.
It would change color to pink-purple if you add citrus like lemon but since this is a latte recipe with dairy, it would make the dairy curdle.
We have been watching The Watchmen on HBO and looking at this latte drink recipe now, I could have easily named it, “(The Watchmen) Dr. Manhattan Latte” because of its bright blue color!
Maybe I will have to do a new recipe post on that 🙂
- Blue Butterfly Pea Flower Tea (dried flowers)
- Hot water
- whole milk or half and half or non-dairy/dairy-free milk
- honey or desired sweetener, optional for topping
Here’s a list of helpful kitchen tools for this recipe (I list and link to Amazon Affiliate links in the recipe card below):
- measuring spoons and cups
- wet measure
- tea kettle
- heat safe mug(s)
- spoon for stirring
Our Blue Butterfly Pea Flower Tea Recipes
Here are our other Blue Butterfly Pea Flower Tea recipes on the blog:
- Blue Butterfly Pea Flower Lemonade
- Blue Butterfly Pea Flower Simple Syrup Recipe
- Blue Butterfly Pea Flower Tea Recipe
- Butterfly Pea Flower Gin Mule
- All of our recent Blue Butterfly Pea Flower Tea Recipes, here
Latest Recipes and Posts
If you like this recipe, please check out our other recipes, recipe collections, and posts below.
- How to Brown Butter
- Rice Pudding
- Food Processor Pizza Dough
- Bran Muffins
- Decaffeinated Dalgona Coffee
If you like this recipe, please give the recipe a rating and let us know in the comments below.
Thank you for reading, and following along!
- 1/4 cup dried Blue Butterfly Pea Flower Tea flowers, food grade
- 1-2 cups hot water
- 1 teaspoon wildflower honey, amount to taste, maple syrup or sweetener or choice
- 1/4 cup whole milk (or half and half or substitute non-dairy/dairy-free cream of choice), amount to taste
- Heat water in a tea kettle over high heat. Alternately, if you are doing 2 cups or a larger amount then you can boil the water in a pot and steep the tea right in the pot.
- Add 1/4 cup Blue Butterfly Pea Flower Tea flowers into a mesh tea ball and add to a large mug (if 1 serving) or 4-cup heat-safe wet measure (if making for 2).
- Pour the hot water over the tea ball and allow to steep for 3-8 minutes, depending on how dark you want the tea. (Do not steep for longer than 10 minutes to avoid the tea from becoming bitter.)
- While your tea is steeping, steam your whole milk or half and half (or non-dairy creamer of choice)
- Pour your steamed milk on top.
- Add a drizzle of honey, enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. #CommissionsEarned #ad
Pyrex Glass Measuring Cup Set (3-Piece, Microwave and Oven Safe),Clear
Organic Dried Butterfly Pea Flower Tea (Clitoria Ternatea) | Preservative-free Edible Thai Herb | Whole Flowers for Color Changing Blue Tea, Baking, Cooking and Natural Sexual Enhancement , 50 Gram
OXO BREW Classic Tea Kettle
Homestia Gold Measuring Cups and Spoons Set Stainless Steel 8 PIECE for Dry and Liquid Ingredients Engraved Measurement Heavy Duty Baking & Cooking Utensils
Creative Hobbies 6 Inch Wood Honey Dipper Stick Server for Honey Jar Dispense Drizzle Honey New -Pack of 6
eHomeA2Z Syrup Dispenser Honey Pot Glass Jar Commercial Quality With Cast Zink Top (1, 14 Oz)
T-Sac Tea Filter Bags, Disposable Tea Infuser, Number 2-Size, 2 to 4-Cup Capacity, Set of 200
Teapot Kettle with Warmer - Tea Pot and Tea Infuser Set - Glass Tea Maker Infusers Holds 3-4 Cups Loose Leaf Iced Blooming or Flowering Tea Filter- Teapots Kettles Tea Strainer Steeper Tea Pots
Libbey Robusta Glass Mugs, Set of 12
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 131Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 18mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 9gSugar: 12gProtein: 6g
Please note that the Calculated Nutrition is an estimate at best.
This recipe post was originally published 12/9/2019 and updated and republished 4/16/2021