Gingerbread Spice Cake from Life’s Little Sweets: This Gingerbread Spice Cake is flavorful, with aromatic spices and honey & maple agave nectar! It has a dairy-free & vegan option, so everyone can enjoy this moist & delicious cake 🙂 Spice up things with a warm slice topped with Vanilla Coconut Icing.
Estimated reading time: 2 minutes
Table of contents
Gingerbread Spice Cake
Hi Everyone, baking with molasses is my new love with this recipe.
I don’t normally use molasses but it’s now in my repertoire and let me tell you, the flavor it brings to a recipe is AMAZING!
Gingerbread Spice Cake is inspired by, Gingerbread, in the “Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book,” Special Edition, 2007
Latest Recipes and Posts
- Matcha Recipes
- Broccoli Recipes
- Cake Mix Cookies
- How to Make a Food-Themed Christmas Tree
- Nutella Recipes
Our Other Recipes and Posts
- Gingerbread Recipes Collection
- Cheesecake Stuffed Gingerbread Cookies
- Simple Homemade Cinnamon Rolls
- How To Make Pumpkin Spice Mix
- Homemade Gingerbread Coffee Recipe
If you like Gingerbread Spice Cake, you may also like Vegan Banana Bread, Naturally Sweet Cornbread, and Vanilla Coconut Icing.
If you make Gingerbread Spice Cake and post a picture on social media, be sure to #lifeslittlesweets and link back to the post, thank you in advance!
What are your favorite gingerbread recipes?
Let me know in the comments below!
Gingerbread Spice Cake
This Gingerbread Spice Cake is flavorful, with aromatic spices, molasses, and honey & maple agave nectar! It has a dairy-free & vegan option, so everyone can enjoy this moist & delicious cake 🙂 Spice up things with a warm slice topped with Vanilla Coconut Icing.
- 1.5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon *you can dial back this amount to 3/4 teaspoon, , if you prefer it to be less spicy
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger *you can dial back this amount to 3/4 teaspoon, , if you prefer it to be less spicy
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, , *in it's solid state
- 1/8 cup maple agave
- 1/8 cup honey, (can substitute brown sugar or maple agave in the same amount for vegan option)
- 1 flaxseed egg for vegan option, (or can substitute 1 regular egg)
- 1/2 cup regular molasses
- 1/2 cup buttermilk, (can substitute 1/2 cup water for dairy-free, vegan option)
- For Topping: Confectioner's sugar and 1 recipe Vanilla Coconut Icing
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix together the flour, cinnamon, ginger, baking powder, baking soda and set aside.
- In medium-large mixing bowl, using a hand mixer (you can use a stand mixer but you will have more control with a hand mixer for this recipe), mix coconut oil for about 30 seconds just to break it up and make it smoother. Add flaxseed egg for vegan option (or regular egg) and molasses, mix until combined. Alternately add water (or buttermilk) and flour mixture until combined, do not over mix.
- Using a baking spatula, spread the thick batter into a 9"x2" round baking pan. Bake for 35-40 minutes. (35 minutes was sufficient in my oven). Test by using a toothpick or knife and after inserted, it should come out clean. Allow to cool a little on a trivet off the stove, then dust with confectioner's sugar (if the cake is too hot, the confectioner's sugar will melt). To make a heart of any other shape, cut shape out of paper and place on top of cake, then dust over it, gently remove paper (see photo collage above). Top with Vanilla Coconut Icing when serving. This cake is delicious served warm, enjoy!
Did you make this recipe? Tag @lifeslittlesweets and hashtag it #lifeslittlesweets
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. #CommissionsEarned #ad
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 297Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 16mgSodium: 131mgCarbohydrates: 44gFiber: 2gSugar: 30gProtein: 3g
Please note that the Calculated Nutrition is an estimate at best.
- Matcha Recipes - March 28, 2023
- Broccoli Recipes - March 27, 2023
- Cake Mix Cookies - March 23, 2023
Hi Sara, June, Barry and Margo:
Another wonderful post! My mom would make gingerbread often for our family-also one of my favorites! Thank you for a beautiful post?. Please give my best to Lisa and the girls too. Love to everyone
Hi Linda, You’re welcome! I had no idea that you love Gingerbread too. It’s a classic! I’ll say hello for you!
Tracy @ Served from Scratch says
I just learned the wonders of gingerbread cakes this year and now I’m hooked! Pinning for later!!
Gingerbread really is amazing!
Platter Talk says
I’m trying to imagine how wonderful this cake must taste, next to a cold glass of milk or a hot cup of coffee. This is the perfect dessert for the winter season; thanks so much for sharing.
Your so welcome, yes either of those two beverages would go wonderfully with it! Thank you for visiting!
Ciao Florentina says
I love the rustic and romantic vibe of this cake. Wish I had a slice right now.
Sending you a virtual slice Florentina! Thank you for visiting!
Love the vegan options for this delicious looking cake. Bet it’s great with a scoop of vanilla ice cream 🙂
Hi Lydia, I am thinking the same thing, a huge scoop of ice cream – just perfect!
Shelby @ Go Eat and Repeat says
I love the little heart you’ve added to the top of your cake! This looks super tasty!
Hi Shelby, thank you so much!
Looks soooo good Sara. We are super impressed!
I am so glad you like it 🙂
Katie Crenshaw says
Sara, your Gingerbread Spice Cake looks lovely. Your photos are beautiful. Pinning this recipe now!
Hi Katie, thank you so much and thank you for the pin!
Marisa Franca @ All Our Way says
What a beautiful cake. I love gingerbread and so does my family. Instead of making the typical chocolate cake for Valentines Day this would be perfect. Can’t wait to make it!!
Hi Marisa, I am so glad that you like it! It tastes wonderful when it’s still warm. Thank you for visiting 🙂
Yum! I will be trying this soon and stealing your decorating with a heart trick!
I am so glad that you like it, let me know how it turns out!
Joy @ Joy Love Food says
I love baking with molasses too, this cake looks so moist and delicious and I love the heart on top too!
Yeah, I love baking with molasses, it really adds a depth of flavor. Thank you so much!
Manal Obieda says
Such a wonderful looking recipe….I love the decoration too…
I love the rich flavors of spice cake! Thank you for sharing!
You are so welcome!
This is so pretty and sounds pretty delicious to boot! Love the ingredient list, pinning for later
Thank you for pinning and visiting, I hope you like it!
Steph @ Steph in Thyme says
Such a stunning cake! Especially lovely for winter and Valentine’s Day. I love your vegan options and tutorial on sugaring the top to form a heart <3
Hi Steph, thank you so much! I am glad that you like it 🙂
Shelley @ Two Healthy Kitchens says
This is just awesome! I love how much healthier this cake is – and the lovely ways you can decorate it! That heart is just so sweet – perfect for Valentine’s Day!
Thank you Shelley, whenever I can I try to do something to make my recipes healthier! Thank you for visiting!
Neli @ Delicious Meets Healthy says
Oh, this looks like the perfect coffee cake! It’s a great dessert for your significant one this Valentine’s Day!
Yes, it goes GREAT with coffee (love coffee!) 🙂 Thank you for visiting 🙂
Sharee @ Savory Spicerack says
My school cafeteria used to serve this type of cake back when I was a kiddo. I would love having a piece of this warm cake with my carton of milk. I am pinning this so I can recreate memories!
Hi Sharee, it goes amazing with a tall glass of milk!