Instant Pot Hummus is made using dried chickpeas (16 ounces), cooked in the instant pot, and then blended to perfection with tahini, Kosher salt, optional seasonings, and drizzled with extra virgin olive oil. Makes a large batch!
Estimated reading time: 4 minutes
Instant Pot Hummus
Hi Everyone, are you looking for a hummus recipe that you can make right in your Instant Pot (pressure cooker)?
This Instant Pot Hummus is for you!
This recipe is an extension of our recent Instant Pot Chickpeas recipe post.
I love hummus and we have many hummus recipes here on the blog.
What is your favorite hummus recipe?
Let me know in the comments at the end of the post!
The Use of Cooking Water
Don’t forget the save the cooking water to help get the consistency right for hummus!
Helpful Kitchen Tools
I have had an 8-quart Instant Pot DUO, I currently have a 6-quart Instant Pot DUO
I have a complete list of helpful kitchen tools in the recipe card at the end of the post.
Helpful Recipe Tips
To make extra smooth hummus, you can remove the chickpea skins
Personally, this is way too fussy for me but if that’s something you want to do, have at it!
Baking soda aids the chickpeas in the soaking process by making the water more alkaline and softening the chickpeas
Other Seasonings that you can include are cumin (mixed into the hummus), Za’atar seasoning, dried sumac.
Be sure to include fresh, squeezed lemon juice, and you can add more or less depending on how tangy you want it.
My recipe doesn’t include a lot of tahini but you can certainly add more to balance out the flavors for your taste buds.
For hummus, having high-quality ingredients really makes a difference in flavor since it such a simple recipe.
- Bunny Bait
- Bubble Coffee Recipe (Boba Coffee)
- How to Prepare Tapioca Pearls (Boba)
- No-Knead Bread
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Eggs
Check out our Recipe & DIY indexes, visit our Home page to view our latest posts & categories, visit our Blog page to see our posts in consecutive order and, our Shop to see our favorite kitchen tools!
If you make this recipe, and like it, please give it a rating in the recipe card below and let us know in the comments at the end of the post.
Thank you for reading and following along!
For Instant Pot Chickpeas
- 16 ounces (1 bag) of dried chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed
- 1 tablespoon baking soda, optional (aids in the chickpea soaking process)
- enough water to cover the chickpeas for soaking (about 3 inches above the level of the chickpeas)
- 6 cups water for cooking,
For Instant Pot Hummus
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-2 teaspoons tahini amount to taste, you can add more if you like the flavor
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil, extra virgin, plus more to drizzle on top for serving
- fresh squeezed lemon juice from 1 lemon, or amount to taste, seeds removed
- 1/4 tsp Kosher salt, amount to taste
- 1/8 tsp fresh ground black pepper, amount to taste
- 2 teaspoons roasted sesame seeds, optional for topping, amount to taste
- a sprinkle of fresh chopped parsley on top for serving or favorite green herb, optional
- a sprinkle of smoked paprika, for topping
- sprinkle of dried ground sumac, optional for topping
- everything bagel spice, optional for topping, amount to taste
- Soak the Chickpeas: In a large mixing bowl or container, add the chickpeas, add the baking soda and water (about 3 inches over the level of the chickpeas). Cover with plastic wrap or bees wrap and soak 8-12 hours or overnight, in the refrigerator. Rinse the chickpeas when they are done soaking.
- To Cook the Chickpeas in the Instant Pot: Add the soaked chickpeas to the Instant Pot, add 6 cups water, set it to cook on high pressure (sealing) for 12 minutes minimum, for extra smooth hummus, cook them for 25 minutes. Please note the Instant Pot will need to come up to pressure and come down from pressure which will add to the time in the Instant Pot. When the chickpeas are done, you can use them right away for making hummus or store them in an airtight container in the fridge to use later. Save the cooking water for making the hummus.
- To Make the Instant Pot Hummus: Take the drained chickpeas and add them to the food processor, add the Kosher salt, minced garlic (or whole cloves), lemon juice, and tahini. Slowly add the cooking liquid until you have the consistency that you want. You may need to do this in batches depending on the size of your food processor and mix it all in a large mixing bowl after processing the chickpeas and ingredients. You can use a handheld electric mixer or hand whisk the ingredients if the food processor is not large enough (after processing the chickpeas in the food processor). Adjust flavors as needed depending on your tastes. Put the hummus into a serving bowl, top with the extra virgin olive oil and optional toppings. Serve warm or chilled with cut veggies and or pita bread or crackers. Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Cuisinart DFP-14BCNY 14-Cup Food Processor, Brushed Stainless Steel
Cuisinart HM-90S Power Advantage Plus 9-Speed Handheld Mixer with Storage Case, White
OXO Good Grips Lewis Pepper Mill
HÖLM 3-Piece Stainless Steel Mesh Micro-Perforated Strainer Colander Set (1-Quart, 2.5-Quart and 4.5-Quart)
Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls by Finedine (Set of 6) Polished Mirror Finish Nesting Bowl, ¾ - 1.5-3 - 4-5 - 8 Quart - Cooking Supplies
Pyrex Smart Essentials 8-Piece Mixing Bowl Set
Gorilla Grip Original Reversible Cutting Board (3-Piece) BPA Free, Dishwasher Safe, Juice Grooves, Larger Thicker Boards, Easy Grip Handle, Non Porous, Extra Large, Kitchen (Set of Three: Black)
Victorinox Fibrox Pro Chef's Knife, 8-Inch Chef's FFP
Pyrex Glass Measuring Cup Set (3-Piece, Microwave and Oven Safe),Clear
OXO Good Grips Soft-Handled Garlic Press
Morton Salt Kosher Salt, 3 lbs, Pack of 2
Totally Bamboo Salt Box, Bamboo Storage Box with Magnetic Swivel Lid, "Salt" Engraved on Lid
Cuisinart CSB-80 Smart Stick Power Trio High Torque Hand Blender (Renewed)
Homestia Gold Measuring Cups and Spoons Set Stainless Steel 8 PIECE for Dry and Liquid Ingredients Engraved Measurement Heavy Duty Baking & Cooking Utensils
Pyrex Prepware 2-Cup Glass Measuring Cup
Instant Pot IP-DUO60 7-in-1 Programmable Pressure Cooker, 6qt/1000W, Latest 3rd Generation Technology, Stainless Steel Cooking Pot and Exterior
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 489Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 463mgCarbohydrates: 77gFiber: 21gSugar: 13gProtein: 25g
Please note that the Calculated Nutrition is an estimate at best.
I didn’t follow her recipe but I think Cookie + Kate has some great tips on their hummus recipe post.