Instant Pot Chickpeas are an efficient way to prepare dried chickpeas. You can then use them to make hummus, sauces, top over salads, or in other recipes.
Instant Pot Chickpeas
Hi Everyone, Instant Pot Chickpeas are a great way to integrate more chickpeas into your diet & meal planning by making a large amount (or smaller amount) at once that you can use in meals and recipes throughout the week.
Follow me on Instagram for more recipe inspiration!
Do I have to soak chickpeas before cooking them?
You do not have to soak dried chickpeas before cooking them in the Instant Pot/pressure cooker, however, many believe that soaking the chickpeas can remove indigestible sugars that can cause gas and bloat.
I personally, prefer to soak the chickpeas before cooking them in the Instant Pot.
I include instructions on how to soak chickpeas in the recipe directions at the bottom of the post.
RELATED: Instant Pot Lentils
What are the health benefits of chickpeas?
Here are some health benefits of chickpeas:
As a rich source of vitamins, minerals, and fiber, chickpeas may offer a variety of health benefits, such as improving digestion, aiding weight management, and reducing the risk of several diseases. Additionally, chickpeas are high in protein and make an excellent replacement for meat in vegetarian and vegan diets.(Source: Healthline.com)
- Yellow Split Pea Soup
- Dill Dijon Garlic Baked Salmon
- January 2021 Coffee Time
- Instant Pot Hummus
- Sautéed Pea Shoots
If you make this recipe, and like it, please give it a rating in the recipe card below and let us know in the comments at the end of the post.
Thank you for reading and following along!
Check out our Recipe & DIY indexes, visit our Home page to view our latest posts & categories, visit our Blog page to see our posts in consecutive order and, our Shop to see our favorite kitchen tools!
- 16 ounces (1 bag) of dried chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon baking soda, optional (aids in the chickpea soaking process)
- enough water to cover the chickpeas for soaking (about 3 inches above the level of the chickpeas)
- 6 cups water for cooking, *see notes
- Kosher salt, optional, amount to taste (add after cooking)
- Soak the Chickpeas: In a large mixing bowl or container, add the chickpeas, add the baking soda and water (about 3 inches over the level of the chickpeas). Cover with plastic wrap or bees wrap and soak 8-12 hours or overnight, in the refrigerator. Rinse the chickpeas when they are done soaking.
- To Cook the Chickpeas in the Instant Pot: Add the soaked chickpeas to the Instant Pot, add 6 cups water, set it to cook on high pressure (sealing) for 12 minutes. Please note the Instant Pot will need to come up to pressure and come down from pressure which will add to the time in the Instant Pot. When the chickpeas are done, you can use them right away for any recipes using them or store them in an airtight container in the fridge.
- *You can substitute the cooking water for vegetable, chicken, or other broth/stock
- Baking soda aids the chickpeas in the soaking process by making the water more alkaline and softening the chickpeas
- Instant Pot (I have had an 8-quart Instant Pot DUO, I currently have a 6-quart Instant Pot DUO)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Pyrex Easy Grab Glass Bakeware and Food Storage Set (8-Piece, BPA-free)
- Pyrex Smart Essentials 8-Piece Mixing Bowl Set
- Calphalon 5-Piece Nylon Kitchen Cooking Utensil Set
- Instant Pot IP-DUO60 7-in-1 Programmable Pressure Cooker, 6qt/1000W, Latest 3rd Generation Technology, Stainless Steel Cooking Pot and Exterior
- Homestia Gold Measuring Cups and Spoons Set Stainless Steel 8 PIECE for Dry and Liquid Ingredients Engraved Meaurement Heavy Duty Baking & Cooking Utensils
- Pyrex Prepware 2-Cup Glass Measuring Cup
- Pyrex Glass Measuring Cup Set (3-Piece, Microwave and Oven Safe),Clear
- HÖLM 3-Piece Stainless Steel Mesh Micro-Perforated Strainer Colander Set (1-Quart, 2.5-Quart and 4.5-Quart)
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 572Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 577mgCarbohydrates: 96gFiber: 26gSugar: 17gProtein: 31g
Please note that the Calculated Nutrition is an estimate at best.