This Sand Tart Cookie Recipe is our family recipe perfect for the Christmas & Holiday season making a big batch of cookies. These cookies are easy to customize to your tastes with various toppings and make a fun activity for everyone involved. Check out our family home video of our cookie making session below!
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes
Table of contents
Sand Tart Cookie Recipe
We have made a tradition of making this Sand Tart Cookie Recipe every year for the last few years.
After Eric and I got married, it started with my husband Eric asking his mom, Linda, about these favorite cookies that her mother used to make when Eric was a little boy.
Linda found the recipe in her recipe box of hand-written recipes.
Many of the recipes in the box were written by her mother and passed down to her.
I have a selection of the recipes that I plan to share on Life’s Little Sweets.
It feels so good to share these recipes with everyone and have a permanent place where we can all reference them.
Each recipe brings back fond memories and continues the tradition.
Table of contents
I have pictured here antique family cookie cutters that have been passed down in Linda’s family.
She said this kind of cookie-cutter with a sharp edge is good for this Sand Tart Cookie Recipe.
Disclosure: Some links in this post are affiliate links which means I earn a commission if you purchase through them at no extra cost to you. I only recommend brands and products that I 100% like and enjoy using. Thank you in advance for your support!
Kitchen Tools Needed for Sand Tart Cookie Recipe
- a selection of cookie cutters
- rolling pin
- parchment paper
- cookie baking sheets
- mixing bowls
- a brush for brushing on the egg wash
This Sand Tart Cookie Recipe is also great as a family/kids activity because the decorating part is like an art project!
This recipe is ideal for cookie swaps or when you have to make a huge amount of cookies.
It’s is sure to become your family favorite Holiday cookie recipe!
- Tiramisu Trifle Recipe
- Tri Color Salad
- Strawberry Lemonade
- Strawberry Mint Shortcake with Ladyfingers
- Rose Water Simple Syrup
Check out this home video of our family cookie-making session below!
Our Other Recipes and Posts
- Peanut Butter Cookies
- Chocolate Scotcheroos
- Kodiak Cakes Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Easy Funfetti Sugar Cookies
- Check out our Recipe & DIY indexes, visit our Home page to view our latest posts & categories, visit our Blog page to see our posts in consecutive order, and our Shop to see our favorite kitchen tools!
What’s your favorite family cookie recipe? If you try this recipe, please give it a rating in the recipe card below and let us know in the comments below!
Thank you for reading and following along!
- 1 pound (about 2 1/4 cups) white granulated sugar
- 1 pound (about 4 cups) all-purpose flour, plus extra for lightly flouring surface when rolling out
- 8 ounces (2 sticks) of unsalted butter, room temperature/soft
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 eggs, separated, plus 1-3 eggs as egg wash for brushing on the tops of the cookies before decorating and baking
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- dash of Kosher salt, (1/4 teaspoon)
- sugar sparkling sprinkles, for decorating
- ground nuts of your choice, (walnuts and pistachios are great!)
- Separate the eggs from yolks in separate mixing bowls.
- Beat egg yolks until they are combined and slightly bubbly. Beat the egg whites until they are white and foamy.
- Mix room temperature butter and sugar thoroughly, add beaten egg yolks, then beaten egg whites. Add vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, blend the dry ingredients with a whisk: flour, baking soda and salt. Add the flour mixture gradually in 4-5 parts to butter mixture, mixing well. This makes a very thick,sticky cookie dough.
- Refrigerate the dough wrapped in plastic wrap for 3 hours or overnight (if overnight, allow the dough to come to room temperature before rolling, however, if the dough becomes too soft to work with return to the refrigerator until the dough becomes easier to handle).
- After chilling, roll the dough out (about 1/8 inch) on a floured surface, cut out cookie shapes, brush egg wash on, then decorate with colored sugar, cinnamon sugar, chopped/ground nuts of choice.
- Bake cookies at 350 degrees (preheated oven) for 8-10 minutes.
- Makes about 100 cookies (depends on cookie cutter size/shape)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Extra Long Professional Silicone Oven Mitt - 1 Pair - Oven Mitts with Quilted Liner - Red - Homwe
- AmazonBasics Stainless Steel Wire Whisk Set - 3-Piece
- Pyrex Smart Essentials 8-Piece Mixing Bowl Set
- Pyrex Easy Grab Glass Bakeware and Food Storage Set (8-Piece, BPA-free)
- Pyrex Glass Measuring Cup Set (3-Piece, Microwave and Oven Safe),Clear
- Pyrex Prepware 2-Cup Glass Measuring Cup
- Saran Premium Plastic Wrap - 100 ft - 3 pk
- Bee's Wrap Reusable Beeswax Food Wrap, Extra Large XXL Roll - Eco Friendly, Plastic Free, All Natural Storage Wrap - 14" x 52"
- Calphalon 5-Piece Nylon Kitchen Cooking Utensil Set
- KitchenAid Professional 6-Quart Stand Mixer Satin Polished Metal (Copper Metal) (Renewed)
- AmazonBasics Silicone Baking Mat Sheet, Set of 2
- Non-slip Silicone Pastry Mat Extra Large with Measurements 28''By 20'' for Silicone Baking Mat, Counter Mat, Dough Rolling Mat,Oven Liner,Fondant/Pie Crust Mat By Folksy Super Kitchen (2028, red)
- Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls by Finedine (Set of 6) Polished Mirror Finish Nesting Bowl, ¾ - 1.5-3 - 4-5 - 8 Quart - Cooking Supplies
- 13 Pieces Stainless Steel Christmas Cookie Cutters with Comfort Grip 3.5í plus a Rolling Pin for Large Holiday Cookies, Snowflake Cookies, Gingerbread Man Cookies, Christmas Party and Baking Gift
- Nordic Ware Natural Aluminum Commercial Baker's Half Sheet (2 Pack), Silver
- Silpat AE420295-07 Premium Non-Stick Silicone Baking Mat, Half Sheet Size, 11-5/8-Inch x 16-1/2-Inch (2 pack)
- Ateco 20175 French Rolling Pin,20-Inch, Solid Maple Wood, Made in Canada
- Wilton Holiday Sprinkles Assortment, 6.8 oz.
- King Arthur Flour 100% Organic Unbleached All-Purpose Flour, 80 Ounce
- Ultra Cuisine 100% Stainless Steel Wire Cooling Rack for Baking fits Half Sheet Pans Cool Cookies, Cakes, Breads - Oven Safe for Cooking, Roasting, Grilling - Heavy Duty Commercial Quality
Nutrition Information:Yield: 100 Serving Size: 2
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 51
*This post was originally published on 12/13/2016 and updated and republished on 11/12/2020.