This Sand Tart Cookie Recipe is our family recipe perfect for the Christmas & Holiday season making a big batch of cookies. These cookies are easy to customize to your tastes with various toppings and make a fun activity for everyone involved. Check out our family home video of our cookie making session below!
Sand Tart Cookie Recipe
We have made a tradition of making this Sand Tart Cookie Recipe every year for the last few years. After Eric and I got married, it started with my husband Eric asking his mom, Linda, about these favorite cookies that her mother used to make when Eric was a little boy. Linda found the recipe in her recipe box of hand-written recipes. Many of the recipes in the box were written by her mother and passed down to her.
I have a selection of the recipes that I plan to share on Life’s Little Sweets. It feels so good to share these recipes with everyone and have a permanent place where we can all reference them. Each recipe brings back fond memories and continues tradition.
I have pictured here antique family cookie cutters that have been passed down in Linda’s family. She said this kind of cookie cutter with a sharp edge is good for this Sand Tart Cookie Recipe.
Disclosure: Some links in this post are affiliate links which means I earn a commission if you purchase through them at no extra cost to you. I only recommend brands and products that I 100% like and enjoy using. Thank you in advance for your support!
Kitchen Tools Needed for Sand Tart Cookie Recipe
- a selection of cookie cutters
- rolling pin
- parchment paper
- cookie baking sheets
- mixing bowls
- a brush for brushing on the egg wash
This Sand Tart Cookie Recipe is also great as a family/kids activity because the decorating part is like an art project!
This Sand Tart Cookie Recipe is ideal for cookie swaps or when you have to make a huge amount of cookies.
This Sand Tart Cookie Recipe is sure to become your family favorite Holiday cookie recipe!
- 1 pound (about 2 1/4 cups) white granulated sugar
- 1 pound (about 4 cups) all-purpose flour, plus extra for lightly flouring surface when rolling out
- 8 ounces (2 sticks) of unsalted butter, room temperature/soft
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 eggs, separated, plus 1-3 eggs as egg wash for brushing on the tops of the cookies before decorating and baking
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- dash of Kosher salt, (1/4 teaspoon)
- sugar sparkling sprinkles for decorating
- ground nuts of your choice, (walnuts and pistachios are great!)
- Separate the eggs from yolks in separate mixing bowls.
- Beat egg yolks until they are combined and slightly bubbly. Beat the egg whites until they are white and foamy.
- Mix room temperature butter and sugar thoroughly, add beaten egg yolks, then beaten egg whites. Add vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, blend the dry ingredients with a whisk: flour, baking soda and salt. Add the flour mixture gradually in 4-5 parts to butter mixture, mixing well. This makes a very thick,sticky cookie dough.
- Refrigerate the dough wrapped in plastic wrap for 3 hours or overnight (if overnight, allow the dough to come to room temperature before rolling, however, if the dough becomes too soft to work with return to the refrigerator until the dough becomes easier to handle).
- After chilling, roll the dough out (about 1/8 inch) on a floured surface, cut out cookie shapes, brush egg wash on, then decorate with colored sugar, cinnamon sugar, chopped/ground nuts of choice.
- Bake cookies at 350 degrees (preheated oven) for 8-10 minutes.
- Makes about 100 cookies (depends on cookie cutter size/shape)
Did you make this recipe? Tag @lifeslittlesweets and hashtag it #lifeslittlesweets
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 13 Pieces Stainless Steel Christmas Cookie Cutters with Comfort Grip 3.5í plus a Rolling Pin for Large Holiday Cookies, Snowflake Cookies, Gingerbread Man Cookies, Christmas Party and Baking Gift
- Nordic Ware Natural Aluminum Commercial Baker's Half Sheet (2 Pack), Silver
- Silpat AE420295-07 Premium Non-Stick Silicone Baking Mat, Half Sheet Size, 11-5/8-Inch x 16-1/2-Inch (2 pack)
- Ateco 20175 French Rolling Pin,20-Inch, Solid Maple Wood, Made in Canada
- Wilton Holiday Sprinkles Assortment, 6.8 oz.
- King Arthur Flour 100% Organic Unbleached All-Purpose Flour, 80 Ounce
- Ultra Cuisine 100% Stainless Steel Wire Cooling Rack for Baking fits Half Sheet Pans Cool Cookies, Cakes, Breads - Oven Safe for Cooking, Roasting, Grilling - Heavy Duty Commercial Quality
Nutrition Information:Yield: 100 Serving Size: 2
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 51
Our Other Recipes and Posts
- Peanut Butter Cookies
- Chocolate Scotcheroos
- Kodiak Cakes Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Easy Funfetti Sugar Cookies
- Breakfast Omelette Egg Cups on SoFabFood
- What’s your favorite family cookie recipe? Let me know in the comments below! Best, ~Sara
Pin this to your “Dessert” and/or “Cookie” board(s)! ⇓