Chocolate Scotcheroos are chocolate-y, puffed rice, cereal snacks infused with butterscotch flavor. The peanut butter mixed in gives them a salty-sweet element that makes you want to reach for more! (makes 48 bars)
Estimated reading time: 4 minutes
Hi Everyone! How’s your Spring going?
I want to introduce to you Chocolate Scotcheroos. Have you ever heard of this recipe?
I hadn’t until Eric told me about this recipe his grandmother and mother used to make when he was little.
This is the 2nd recipe in Eric’s Family Recipe Series.
The first one is perfect for the Christmas season, Sand Tart Cookie Recipe which I shared this past December.
I have a stack of recipes to work through that Eric’s mom gave to me to share here on the blog.
It’s nice to be recording and making food from Eric’s family.
These Chocolate Scotcheroos are so rich and buttery and that’s why I love them.
They are like Rice Krispies treats but with peanut butter, chocolate, and butterscotch twist. I can understand why Eric remembered the recipe after all these years.
When he told me his memories of eating them as a child, I knew I just had to make them bring to life some of his family cooking histories.
This is one of those recipes that would be perfect with coffee or to make for a sports team.
I know I would have loved snacking on these after soccer practice when I was little.
You can cut them to any size you want, I find them the be an ample dose of sweet, so I cut them pretty small in 1 x 1 inch or 1 x 2-inch sizes.
This is one of those really easy stove top recipes making it pretty easy to pull together this yummy treat!
I included a photo of the front and back of the recipe card, hand-written by Eric’s grandmother (below).
I can tell it was well-used over the years 🙂
- 13 x 9 inch pan
- offset spatula
- baking spatula
- measuring spoons and cups
- mixing bowls
- medium pan
Who can resist a stack of Chocolate Scotcheroos?
Our Other Recipes and Posts
- Peanut Butter Cookies
- Cinnamon Sugar Baked Donuts
- Peanut Butter Blossoms
- Stuffed Grape Leaves Recipe
- Gluten Free Fried Tomatoes
Have you ever made Chocolate Scotcheroos? Please let me know in the comments below!
- How to Make Half and Half
- Pan-Fried Fairytale Eggplant
- Wacky Cake
- Red Raspberry Leaf Tea
- Egg In a Hole Bagel
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup peanut butter, I use smooth
- 6 cup Kellogg's Rice Krispies Cereal
- 1 cup Nestle butterscotch morsels, (6 ounces)
- 1 cup Nestle semi sweet chocolate morsels
- Over medium heat, combine the granulated white sugar and light corn syrup in a 3-quart saucepan. Stir often until combined and mixture begins to bubble. Remove from heat and stir in peanut butter, mix well.
- Add Rice Krispies cereal and stir until well coated. Pour into a greased 9 x 13-inch pan, gently pressing into the shape of the pan. Set aside and allow to cool.
Chocolate & Butterscotch Layer
- Melt semi-sweet and butterscotch morsels in a small-medium pan over low heat, stir until combined. Remove from heat and spread evenly over the cereal until covered. Cool until firm (you can speed this process up by putting the pan in the refrigerator for 15 or so minutes). Cut into bars when cool. Makes 48 (2 x 1-inch bars).
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 48 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 117Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 67mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 1gSugar: 16gProtein: 2g
Please note that the Calculated Nutrition is an estimate at best.