Estimated reading time: 4 minutes
This Skillet Cornbread is a classic yellow cornbread recipe, that is a snap to prepare in your trusty cast iron skillet. It’s perfect to serve with dinner and especially great for soaking up gravy or sauces. Optionally, you can top it with wildflower honey for a sweet twist!
Table of contents
Hi Everyone, are you looking for an easy recipe that you can make in 1 pan (your trusty cast iron skillet!), bake and whip up right before dinner?
This cast iron skillet cornbread is exactly what I make to go with dinner (or any other meal) in a pinch.
It’s fast, easy and so satisfying to have with dinner, plus it’s family-friendly – it’s almost always a kid and crowd-pleaser.
This Skillet cornbread goes great with honey or any dinner recipe that has a lot of gravy or soup.
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose (unbleached) flour
- 1/4 cup granulated white sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- 1/4 cup Canola or mild vegetable oil
- Wildflower honey, optional
- Cast iron skillet
- medium whisk
- 2-cup wet measure
- measuring cups and spoons
- honey dipper, optional
If you try this Skillet Cornbread, let us know in the comments at the end of the post and tell us what you serve it with! Thank you for reading and following along!
- Instant Pot Split Pea Soup
- Instant Pot Red Mashed Potatoes
- Pork Cabbage Potsticker Wonton Dumplings (Steamed or Fried)
- Banana Cinnamon Sugar Dumplings
- 14 Healthy Recipes
- Prepare: Preheat oven to 425°F (218°C). Spray the cast iron skillet with Canola oil spray (or grease with unsalted butter).
- Mix the batter: Add all the ingredients (cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, milk, egg, and oil) to the cast iron skillet, and using a medium whisk, gently whisk together until combined. Don't overmix!
- Bake: Bake the cast iron skillet in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until golden. To test for doneness: Insert a toothpick or a butter knife in the center and it should come out clean.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. #CommissionsEarned #ad
AmazonBasics Stainless Steel Wire Whisk Set - 3-Piece
STAUB Cast Iron Fry Pan, 12-inch, Cherry
Creative Co-Op Floral Hand Stamped Stoneware Measuring Cups (Set of 4 Sizes/Designs)
Homestia Gold Measuring Cups and Spoons Set Stainless Steel 8 PIECE for Dry and Liquid Ingredients Engraved Measurement Heavy Duty Baking & Cooking Utensils
Homestia Stainless Steel Measuring Cups and Spoons Set of 8 Pcs Baking Cooking Utensils with Measurement for Dry and Liquid Ingredients, Black
Pyrex Glass Measuring Cup Set (3-Piece, Microwave and Oven Safe),Clear
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1071Total Fat: 111gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 3gUnsaturated Fat: 97gCholesterol: 26mgSodium: 368mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 1gSugar: 8gProtein: 3g
Please note that the Calculated Nutrition is an estimate at best. If you make this recipe and love it, remember to stop back and give it a 5-star rating – it helps others find the recipe!
- First published: 7/31/2023