This Cornbread recipe is a classic, fluffy cornbread recipe that tastes great topped with butter and honey. This recipe is also perfect for making Cornbread Muffins.
Hi Everyone, we could all use a little cornbread, don’t you think? Right now, it’s Arctic temperatures in New Jersey which makes it a great time to bake! I actually did the pictures for this recipe back in November 2018 and it’s high time I shared this recipe on the blog.
I grew up loving when my mom made cornbread; it makes the house smell so nice and cozy! It’s the perfect recipe to make with kids because it’s just so easy.
Cornbread goes with most everything, works as a snack, side dish or appetizer. It can go sweet or savory or in this case topped with butter and honey, both.
The great thing is that you can easily make this recipe into Corn Bread Muffins using a muffin tin. I like using a large cookie scoop to get the right amount of filling into each cup.
Plus, this “honeyed cornbread” recipe is inspired by descriptions of “honeyed cake” recipes in Game of Thrones.
I love toasting slices of this cornbread in a pan on the stove top with butter and then drizzling with honey. Of course, it’s totally up to you if you want to do this but it’s so tasty and a great way to have it on the 2nd day (that is if you have any leftovers!)
I listed helpful kitchen tools in the recipe card below with affiliate links to the products that I use or similar that would work for this recipe.
If you try this Cornbread recipe, please leave a review and let me know how it works out in the comments below, thank you for reading and following along!
- Preheat the oven for 400 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients: corn meal, flour, sugar, baking powder and Kosher salt.
- In another mixing bowl, combine the wet ingredients: whole milk, egg, and Canola oil.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients being careful not to over mix.
- Pour the batter into the square 8x8 inch baking pan.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- To make Corn Muffins: pour the batter evenly into 12 muffin cups (should be 2/3rds full) Bake for 15-20 minutes (or until golden brown)
- recipe adapted from Indian Head Old Fashioned Stone Ground Yellow Corn Meal bag.
- for a dairy free option, substitute the whole milk for the same amount soy, cashew, coconut or almond milk. This may or may not affect the taste of the recipe. Omit the butter for topping.
Did you make this recipe? Tag @lifeslittlesweets and hashtag it #lifeslittlesweets
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls by Finedine (Set of 6) Polished Mirror Finish Nesting Bowl, ¾ - 1.5-3 - 4-5 - 8 Quart - Cooking Supplies
- Wilton Easy Flex Silicone Spatula Set, Your Go-To Tools for Mixing, Folding, Scraping, Cooking and Serving., Blue, 3-Piece
- Homestia Gold Measuring Cups and Spoons Set Stainless Steel 8 PIECE for Dry and Liquid Ingredients Engraved Meaurement Heavy Duty Baking & Cooking Utensils
- Creative Hobbies 6 Inch Wood Honey Dipper Stick Server for Honey Jar Dispense Drizzle Honey New -Pack of 6
- Wilton Recipe Right Non-Stick 9-Inch Square Brownie Baking Pan with Lid, Multipack of 2
Nutrition Information:Yield: 9 Serving Size: 1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 230Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 433mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 1gSugar: 9gProtein: 4g
Please note that the Calculated Nutrition is an estimate at best.
Our Other Recipes
- 10 Festive St. Patrick’s Day Recipes
- 8 Perfect Easter Recipes
- Edible Cookie Dough
- Irish Soda Bread
- 2-Ingredient Chocolate Sauce Syrup
- Apple Bundt Cake
- Cornbread Muffins
- Easy Peanut Sauce
- Rose Water Simple Syrup
- Rosewater Lemonade
- No Bake Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Coconut Oatmeal Cookies
- Wacky Cake
- 5 Cinco de Mayo Recipes
- To check out our other “Cornbread” recipes, visit here
- Check out our Recipe index and DIY index