Steamed Broccoli Rabe Rapini – This healthy, vitamin-rich Broccoli Rabe (Rapini) is steamed, and then drizzled with extra virgin olive oil, and sprinkled with Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper.
Steamed Broccoli Rabe (Rapini)
Hi Everyone, One of my favorite vegetables is Broccoli Rabe (Rapini), it’s so good for you, slightly bitter and easy to prepare this way on the stove top. It’s so fast to prepare (only 5-7 minutes) which makes it a wonderful side (or added to pasta) for dinner. I have just eaten a whole plate of it, if I am really craving vegetables – I am not kidding.
RELATED: Air Fryer Egg Rolls
Where do I usually get Broccoli Rabe (Rapini)?
I usually get Andy Boy brand at the grocery store or the most preferred would be through my local Farmer’s Market or CSA. If you can get it organic, that’s preferred.
RELATED: Rice Recipes Collection
What is Broccoli Rabe (Rapini)?
According to Wikipedia:
Rapini or broccoli rabe is a green cruciferous vegetable, with the leaves, buds, and stems all being edible; the buds somewhat resemble broccoli, but do not form a large head. Rapini is known for its slightly bitter taste, and is particularly associated with Mediterranean cuisine.
RELATED: Instant Pot Spaghetti Squash
When is Broccoli Rabe (Rapini) in Season?
According to TheSpruceEats.com:
Broccoli rabe is a cool weather vegetable at its best in fall, early winter, and early spring. Warm weather encourages the plant to bolt (that’s flowering to the less botanically inclined), which makes it even more bitter in flavor than usual.
RELATED: Meal Prep Recipes Collection
RELATED: Home Baking Projects
What are the Health Benefits of Broccoli Rabe (Rapini)?
As quoted from Healthline.com:
Broccoli can be eaten cooked or raw — both are perfectly healthy but provide different nutrient profiles. … Still, raw or cooked, broccoli is an excellent source of vitamin C. Just half a cup (78 grams) of cooked broccoli provides 84% of the reference daily intake (RDI) — more than one-half orange can offer (Source: Heathline.com)
RELATED: Mocha Coffee
RELATED: Healthy Snack Recipes Collection
What Diet Lifestyles Does this Steamed Broccoli Rabe (Rapini) Adhere to?
This Steamed Broccoli Rabe (Rapini) is gluten-free, vegan, vegetarian, dairy-free, Paleo, Whole30, Macrobiotic and Low Sugar.
RELATED: Vegetarian Recipes Collection
RELATED: Corned Beef and Cabbage
RELATED: Fish Tacos
RELATED: Seafood Recipes Collection
How to Prepare Steamed Broccoli Rabe Rapini
To make sure the Broccoli Rabe (Rapini) is not wilty, I cut the ends off of the stalks and then let them soak in water and then put it in the fridge for at least a half hour (or up to over night).
RELATED: Instant Pot Recipes Collection
RELATED: Onion Recipes Collection
If you try this Steamed Broccoli Rabe (Rapini) recipe, and like it, please give the recipe a rating in the recipe card below, and let us know in the comments below. Thank you for reading and following along!
RELATED: Air Fryer Tofu
RELATED: Sunflower Seed Butter Stuffed Dates
- 1 bunch Broccili Rabe (Rapini), tough stalk ends cut off
- a drizzle of Extra Virgin Olive Oil, amount to taste
- Kosher salt, amount to taste
- Fresh ground black pepper, amount to taste
- In a large pot, on the stove top, fill the bottom with up to 2 inches of water, place steamer tray or basket in the bottom, bring to a boil over high heat.
- Please the prepared Broccoli Rabe in the steamer tray evenly, reduce to a simmer, cover and steam for 5-7 minutes (check at 5 minutes).
- When it's done, remove from the steamer tray and serve drizzled with olive oil, salt and pepper, amount to taste. This is also great with pasta. Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Homestia Gold Measuring Cups and Spoons Set Stainless Steel 8 PIECE for Dry and Liquid Ingredients Engraved Meaurement Heavy Duty Baking & Cooking Utensils
- Ball Mason Jar Pint Wide Mouth Clear Glass W/Lids and Bands, 16-Ounces (Set of 4)
- Cooks Standard 02520 Quart Classic Stainless Steel Stockpot with Lid, 12-QT, Silver
- All-Clad BD552043 D5 Brushed 18/10 Stainless Steel 5-Ply Bonded Dishwasher Safe Soup Pot with Lid Cookware, 4-Quart, Silver
- Maldon Sea Salt Flakes 1.5kg/3.3lbs Tub
- Totally Bamboo Salt Box, Bamboo Storage Box with Magnetic Swivel Lid, "Salt" Engraved on Lid
- Victorinox Fibrox Pro Chef's Knife, 8-Inch Chef's FFP
- Gorilla Grip Original Reversible Cutting Board (3-Piece) BPA Free, Dishwasher Safe, Juice Grooves, Larger Thicker Boards, Easy Grip Handle, Non Porous, Extra Large, Kitchen (Set of Three: Black)
- OXO Good Grips Lewis Pepper Mill
- MUELLER Large 5L Salad Spinner Vegetable Washer with Bowl, Anti-Wobble Tech, Lockable Colander Basket and Smart Lock Lid - Lettuce Washer and Dryer - Easy Water Drain System and Compact Storage
- OXO Good Grips Stainless Steel Steamer with Extendable Handle
- OXO Good Grips 12-Inch Tongs With Nylon Heads
- Cuisinart 719-16 Chef's Classic Stainless Saucepan with Cover, 1 1/2 Quart
- Aozita 17oz Glass Olive Oil Bottle - 500ml Dark Brown Oil & Vinegar Cruet with Pourers and Funnel - Olive Oil Carafe Decanter for Kitchen
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 219Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 14mgSodium: 981mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 0gSugar: 4gProtein: 6g
Please note that the Calculated Nutrition is an estimate at best.