This Apple Carrot Raisin Massaged Kale Salad is delicious, nutritious, and easy to make through the Summer into Fall months with seasonal produce. It also makes a bright, fresh side on the holiday table during the Winter holidays. Customize this classic, yet modern salad with your favorite ingredients!
Estimated reading time: 4 minutes
Apple Carrot Raisin Massaged Kale Salad
Hi Everyone, whenever I am in need of a super nutritious and satisfying salad, this Apple Carrot Raisin Massaged Kale Salad recipe, in any variation, is a fantastic, go-to salad.
You can swap the apples for pears or another seasonal fruit or even berries.
You can use cranberries in place or in addition to the raisins, add some nuts (pecans and walnuts are great!).
Massaged Kale Salad
At its base, this Apple Carrot Raisin Massaged Kale Salad, is a simple massaged kale salad that can be customized any which way you choose.
The kale is “massaged” with olive oil and then in the recipe card, I share what I like to add for the dressing which included rice vinegar and soy sauce which gives it a super tasty flavor but you can customize the dressing to your preferred tastes.
I would love to hear how you would customize this salad, what are your favorite ingredients for a massaged kale salad?
Let me know in the comments at the end of the post!
Did you know that there’s more calcium per cup of kale than milk?
Kale is practically a superfood.
I love the stuff and always makes me feel better when I incorporate it into our family recipes.
What have you been making this Summer for salads?
We have been loving making different recipes from our organic CSA Share boxes.
I also added curly parsley from my garden; I’ve been loving the fresh herbs from my kitchen garden to our family recipes.
If you want to see some of these recent recipes just check out the “recipes” tab, or click here.
I will be sharing more over the coming weeks and months of recipe content.
REALTED: Sweet Potato Kale Lentil Soup
Thank you for reading and following along!
- Chia Seed Banana Bread
- Cocoa Almonds
- Andes Mint Cookies
- Maraschino Cherry Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Christmas M&M Cookies
- 1 head kale, ribs cut out, washed and ripped into bite-sized pieces
- 1-2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1-2 carrots, skins peeled, cut into ribbons or shredded *see notes on carrot ribbons
- 1 apple, peeled and diced (Fuji, Gala or similar apple varieties are great)
- 1/4 cup, yellow or sweet onion, thinly sliced
- fresh parsley, chopped optional, amount to taste
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar (or other preferred vinegar, apple cider vinegar is great in this too), or amount to taste
- dash of low sodium soy sauce
- drizzle of Wildflower honey, optional, if you want to make it more sweet
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt or amount to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, amount to taste
- In a large mixing or salad bowl, add the kale, drizzle the olive oil over the kale, using your clean hands, massage the kale until it's coated completely, set aside for 5-10 minutes to allow the oil to penetrate the kale leaves.
- Add the other prepared ingredients (onions, carrot ribbons, raisins and apples) and remaining dressing ingredients (rice vinegar, low sodium soy sauce, optional Wildflower honey, Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper) to the massaged kale and toss to combine. You can optionally add your favorite dressing or have it simply seasoned with salt and pepper. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve and enjoy!
- This recipe makes about 4-6 servings, depending on the size of servings.
- You can save the kale ribs (stems) for sauteing later
- Shredded or shaved Parmesan (if not vegan) tastes great on top of this salad and goes well with the salad ingredients
- for the ingredients that make the dressing (olive oil, soy sauce, rice vinegar, salt and pepper), you may need to adjust the flavors to your tastes, the amounts are really going to depend on the amount of kale you have, it will depend on the size of the kale head and varies on the variety of kale.
- Peeling the carrots into ribbons gives a great texture to the salad and they "soften" as the dressing penetrates the carrot ribbons.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. #CommissionsEarned #ad
Aozita 17oz Glass Olive Oil Bottle - 500ml Dark Brown Oil & Vinegar Cruet with Pourers and Funnel - Olive Oil Carafe Decanter for Kitchen
OXO Good Grips Lewis Pepper Mill
Aidea Acacia Wooden Salad Bowl - 12.5 Inch Hardwood with Servers Set Big Salad Bowl 3-Piece Set
Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls by Finedine (Set of 6) Polished Mirror Finish Nesting Bowl, ¾ - 1.5-3 - 4-5 - 8 Quart - Cooking Supplies
OXO 1063494 Good Grips Turner, Spatula, and Tongs Set - Safe for Nonstick Cookware,3 Piece
MUELLER Large 5L Salad Spinner Vegetable Washer with Bowl, Anti-Wobble Tech, Lockable Colander Basket and Smart Lock Lid - Lettuce Washer and Dryer - Easy Water Drain System and Compact Storage
OXO Good Grips Little Salad Dressing Shaker, Black
OXO Good Grips Salad Spinner, Large
Homestia Gold Measuring Cups and Spoons Set Stainless Steel 8 PIECE for Dry and Liquid Ingredients Engraved Measurement Heavy Duty Baking & Cooking Utensils
Pyrex Prepware 2-Cup Glass Measuring Cup
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 165Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 9mgSodium: 32mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 3gSugar: 12gProtein: 3g
Please note that the Calculated Nutrition is an estimate at best.