Sweet Potato Kale Lentil Soup is incredibly nutritious, so flavorful and perfect for a Fall or Winter soup. (vegan) Check out all 8 Sweet Potato recipes from the #FoodieMamas recipe roundup below!
Sweet Potato Kale Lentil Soup
It’s soup season and January is National Soup Month! Remember I shared my Soothing Ginger Garlic Chicken Noodle Soup and these Beef Potsticker Wonton Dumplings and Pork Cabbage Potsticker Wonton Dumplings can be enjoyed in a broth (directions in both recipes!).
Enjoy this hearty soup that is more like a stew to fill your tummy on those cold Winter days. It has sweet potatoes, flavorful leeks, nutrient dense kale and lentils and aromatic rosemary!
I made this soup for a soup party a couple of years ago and it was a hit! It has wonderful texture and SO much flavor!
This soup is great the next day and will thicken when chilled overnight. You can always add more water to thin out the broth and more salt and pepper to taste.
This Sweet Potato Kale Lentil Soup recipe is inspired by Winter Lentil Soup from RealSimple.com
Sweet Potato Kale Lentil Soup
- 1 tablespoon regular olive oil
- 4 leeks , use the white and light green stem parts, cut into half-moon shapes, 1/2 inch thick
- 28 ounce can of organic whole tomatoes (I included the canning fluid)
- 2 medium sweet potatoes , cubed into 1/2 inch pieces
- a bunch of kale , remove the thick stems, cut the leaves 1/2 wide
- 1/2 cup lentils (I use green/brown)
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme , finely minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste (about 1/4 teaspoon)
Heat the olive oil in a Dutch oven or large soup pot over medium heat. Add the leeks, cook 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally to cook evenly.
Add the 28 ounce can of tomatoes, break them up with a spatula and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add 6 cups water and bring the mixture to a boil. Add the cubed sweet potatoes, kale, lentils thyme, salt and pepper.
Simmer for 25-30 minutes. Enjoy!
Recipe NotesThis soup is great the next day and will thicken when chilled overnight. You can always add more water to thin out the broth and more salt and pepper to taste.
FoodieMamas Sweet Potato Recipe Roundup
This is the FIRST #FoodieMamas recipe roundup of 2017! Yay!
I recently did a 2015 & 2016 Recap of all the FoodieMamas recipe roundups that I have participated in (how’s that for thorough??): FoodieMamas 2015 and 2016 Recipe Roundup
Emily Smith of The Best of This Life chose the ingredient this month: Sweet Potatoes! Enjoy the 8 Hearty Sweet Potato Recipes from the #FoodieMamas!
#1 – Simple & Healthy Sweet Potato Ginger Soup – Emily Smith of The Best of this Life
#2 – Maple-Whipped Sweet Potatoes – Emily Smith of The Best of this Life
#3 – Oatmeal Cookie Marshmallow Sweet Potato Casserole – Sara of Life’s Little Sweets
#4 – Parmesan Roasted Sweet Potatoes – Kaitie of Fuchsia Freezer
#5 – Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes – Kaitie of Fuchsia Freezer
#6 – Mashed Sweet Potatoes With Herbs from Deepika Haldankar of Easy Baby Meals
#7 – Pumpkin Spiced Sweet Potatoes And Apple Soup from Deepika Haldankar of Easy Baby Meals
- If you like this post, Check out our FoodieMamas, Dinner, Soup and Savory Categories on Life’s Little Sweets
- Be sure to sign up for the Life’s Little Sweets e-mail newsletter for more updates and FREE recipes!
- Want to know the Kitchen Tools we use? Check out the kitchen tools that I use in my Amazon aStore.
What’s your favorite sweet potatoes recipe? Let me know in the comments below! Best, ~Sara
Pin this! ⇓