Gingerbread Cutout Cookies are a classic & traditional Christmas holiday cookie to make every year, this recipe also has ground nutmeg and pure vanilla extract to take the flavor over the top! You can bake them to be crisper or chewier, depending on how you like them. These fun cutout cookies are perfect for decorating with classic, sweet & crisp Royal Icing!
Estimated reading time: 5 minutes
Gingerbread Cutout Cookies
Hi Everyone, no Holiday is complete without these Gingerbread Cutout Cookies!
These Gingerbread Cutout Cookies are the perfect pair with my Royal Icing recipe.
Be sure to check that recipe post out for a great icing recipe to decorate these cookies with!
The dough for Gingerbread Cutout Cookies can be made ahead the day before, allowing the dough to firm up overnight in the refrigerator.
What makes my Gingerbread Cutout Cookies recipe different from others?
This is a classic Gingerbread Cutout Cookies recipe and my version has a little pinch of ground nutmeg in it and pure vanilla extract to give it a little something extra.
Try my How to Make Homemade Vanilla Extract tutorial here on the blog if you want to make your own homemade vanilla extract.
- Check out our Recipe & DIY indexes, visit our Home page to view our latest posts & categories, visit our Blog page to see our posts in consecutive order and, our Shop to see our favorite kitchen tools!
Our Other Recipes & Posts
If you like this Gingerbread Cutout Cookies recipe post, you might also like:
- Gingerbread Recipes Collection
- Gingerbread Spice Cake
- Cookie Recipes Collection
- Perfect Snickerdoodle Cookies
- Sand Tart Cookie Recipe
- Spritz Cookie Recipe
This recipe is inspired by Gingerbread Cutout Cookies from Taste of Home.
If you make this Gingerbread Cutout Cookie recipe and like it, please give it a rating in the recipe card below and let us know in the comments at the end of the post.
Thank you for reading and following along!
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg at room temperature
- 3/4 cup unsulphured molasses
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon *see notes
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 recipe Royal Icing
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, add brown sugar and unsalted butter and combine on medium speed for 1-2 minutes or until fully creamed together. Add the egg, molasses, and vanilla extract. In a large mixing bowl, add all-purpose flour, ground ginger, baking soda, ground cinnamon, ground cloves, kosher salt, and ground nutmeg. Form the cookie dough into a ball and wrap it in plastic or seal it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Farenheight. Prepare 2 (or more) rimmed baking sheets with silicone baking mats or parchment paper. On a lightly floured pastry mat or another surface, cut the dough in half with a dough scraper. Work with one half at a time. Place the other piece of dough in an airtight container while you work with the first piece. Roll the dough out as thin as 1/8 inch or as thick as 1/4 inch. The thickness of the cookie recipe will affect the yield of the cookies you make. I find the thickness somewhere in between the 2 measurements easier to work with. Use cookie cutters (2 1/2 inch size) to cut out the cookies and place them on the prepared baking sheets (not greased), spaced about 1 inch apart. Repeat with the other piece of cookie dough.
- Bake the cookies for 8-10 minutes or until the edges are firm. Bake them longer to make them crisper or shorter for more soft and chewy cookies. Cook the cookies in batches to ensure even baking. When they are done, let them cool on the baking rack for 5 minutes, then transfer them to wire cooling racks to cool completely before decorating with Royal Icing or enjoy them plain.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. #CommissionsEarned #ad
- OXO Good Grips Multi-purpose Stainless Steel Scraper & Chopper
- If You Care FSC Certified Parchment Baking Paper, 70 sq ft (Pack of 2)
- Wilton 12-Inch Disposable Cake Decorating Bags, 50-Count Pastry Bags
- Wilton 46-Piece Deluxe Cake Decorating Set, Cake Decorating Supplies
- Ultra Cuisine Round Cookie Biscuit Cutter Set - 11 Graduated Circle Pastry Cutters for Donut and Scone Heavy Duty Commercial Quality 100% Stainless Steel Metal Ring Baking Molds with 3 Cookie Stencils
- Wilton Animal Cookie Cutter Set, 50-Piece
- Wilton Cookie Cutters Set, 101-Piece — Alphabet, Numbers and Holiday Cookie Cutters
- JOYIN13 Pieces Stainless Steel Christmas Cookie Cutters with Comfort Grip 3.5í plus a Rolling Pin for Large Holiday Cookies, Snowflake Cookies, Gingerbread Man Cookies, Christmas Party and Baking Gift
- Nordic Ware Natural Aluminum Commercial Baker's Half Sheet (2 Pack), Silver
- Silpat AE420295-07 Premium Non-Stick Silicone Baking Mat, Half Sheet Size, 11-5/8-Inch x 16-1/2-Inch (2 pack)
- AmazonBasics Silicone Baking Mat Sheet, Set of 2
- Non-slip Silicone Pastry Mat Extra Large with Measurements 28''By 20'' for Silicone Baking Mat, Counter Mat, Dough Rolling Mat,Oven Liner,Fondant/Pie Crust Mat By Folksy Super Kitchen (2028, red)
- Mini Cookie Cutter Shapes Set - 24 Small Molds to Cut Out Pastry Dough, Pie Crust & Fruit - Tiny Stainless Steel Metal Stamps Teardrop Leaf, Flower, Heart, Star, Geometric Shapes - Cut Fondant & Clay
- Riccle Disposable Icing Piping Bags 12 Inch - 100 Pcs Heavy Duty Anti Burst Pastry Bags for Cream Frosting - Cookie Cake Decorating Supplies
- KitchenAid Professional 6-Quart Stand Mixer Satin Polished Metal (Copper Metal) (Renewed)
- Bosch MUM6N10UC Universal Plus Stand Mixer, 800 watt, 6.5-Quarts
- KitchenAid KSM150PSER Artisan Tilt-Head Stand Mixer with Pouring Shield, 5-Quart, Empire Red
- Wilton Easy Flex Silicone Spatula Set, Your Go-To Tools for Mixing, Folding, Scraping, Cooking and Serving., Blue, 3-Piece
- Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls by Finedine (Set of 6) Polished Mirror Finish Nesting Bowl, ¾ - 1.5-3 - 4-5 - 8 Quart - Cooking Supplies
- Pyrex Smart Essentials 8-Piece Mixing Bowl Set
- Homestia Gold Measuring Cups and Spoons Set Stainless Steel 8 PIECE for Dry and Liquid Ingredients Engraved Measurement Heavy Duty Baking & Cooking Utensils
- Pyrex Prepware 2-Cup Glass Measuring Cup
Nutrition Information:Yield: 60 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 78Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 9mgSodium: 45mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 0gSugar: 6gProtein: 1g
Please note that the Calculated Nutrition is an estimate at best.