Bran Muffins are a tasty and healthy way to start your day or snack on throughout the day. They are delicious served warm with butter (or vegan butter) or with a drizzle of honey or maple syrup.
Hi Everyone, this Bran Muffins recipe is just as tasty as it is healthy. My family loved these for snacking. They freeze well, making them perfect for meal prepping.
They come together quickly and only take 15-20 minutes to bake in the oven.
RELATED: Recipes Readers Are Making Now
I came to love bran muffins during my pregnancies as I always have had to take iron pills for anemia during pregnancy, especially later in pregnancy and now with my 3rd pregnancy, it is no different. I love eating something that just makes me/my body feels healthy. They are great for after you deliver or after any abdominal surgery when you really need to have fiber in your diet. Here’s to good health!
I recommend baking these for 15 minutes, checking them for doneness by sticking a butter knife or toothpick in the middle and it should come out clean if done – if not, then baking them 5 minutes more and then they should be done.
Remember to put them on a wire rack, right away because they will continue to bake and dry out if you leave them in the hot muffin tin.
RELATED: Edible Cookie Dough and Easy Peanut Sauce
If you are looking for a good vegan butter to use, I really like Earth Balance, it’s a plant-based butter. I’ve been using it for years. I usually have the one with olive oil. It’s creamy just like real butter.
RELATED: Easy Pecan Pie Recipe and Irish Soda Bread and Single-Layer Chocolate Cake with Edible Flowers
RELATED: Snickerdoodle Muffins and Cornbread Muffins and Cold Brew Iced Coffee
RELATED: Peach Cobbler Recipe and Cinnamon Oatmeal Cookies
RELATED: Apple Bundt Cake and Chocolate Strawberry Lassi and Lemon Dijon Dressing
RELATED: Snickerdoodle Cookie Bars and Strawberry Lemonade
RELATED: Grinch Sugar Cookies and How To Make Pumpkin Spice Mix
RELATED: Lavender Simple Syrup and Lavender Lemonade Recipe
RELATED: Cornbread and Boiled Butter Corn
RELATED: Easy Funfetti Sugar Cookies
RELATED: Homemade Carrot Ginger Soup
RELATED: Simple Syrup and Homemade Zucchini Bread Recipe
If you make this Bran Muffins recipe, and like it, please give it a recipe rating in the recipe card below and let us know in the comments below. Thank you for reading and following along!
RELATED: Hops Golden Milk and Matcha Green Tea Latte
RELATED: Thanksgiving Guide and Decaffeinated Dalgona Coffee and Wacky Cake
- 1 1/2 cups wheat bran
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup Canola oil (or same amount vegetable oil)
- 1 large egg
- 2/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup raisins or other chopped dried fruit, optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C)
- Line a muffin tin with paper muffin/cupcake liners or grease with butter.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the bran and buttermilk (see notes on how to make buttermilk, if you don't have it). Allow to stand for 10 minutes.
- In another small-medium mixing bowl, mix together the egg, oil, sugar and vanilla extract and then add to the bran-buttermilk mixture.
- Whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Add the flour mixture to the bran mixture until just mixed. If adding raisins or dried fruit, add now by folding into the batter.
- Using a 3 tablespoon cookie school (or 1/4 cup measure), into the prepared muffin tin.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 15-20 minutes. When they are done, insert a toothpick, in the center and it should come out clean. Allow to cool on a wire rack, serve and enjoy!
- Please note, when allowing them to cool, put them on a wire rack right away because they will continue to cook and possibly dry out, if they are left in the muffin tin.
- Storage: These bran muffins can be frozen in an air-tight container for up to 3 months.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Ultra Cuisine 100% Stainless Steel Wire Cooling Rack for Baking fits Half Sheet Pans Cool Cookies, Cakes, Breads - Oven Safe for Cooking, Roasting, Grilling - Heavy Duty Commercial Quality
OXO 1044082 Large Cookie Scoop, 3 TSP, Stainless Steel Multicolor
AmazonBasics Stainless Steel Wire Whisk Set - 3-Piece
Pyrex Easy Grab Glass Bakeware and Food Storage Set (8-Piece, BPA-free)
Pyrex Smart Essentials 8-Piece Mixing Bowl Set
Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls by Finedine (Set of 6) Polished Mirror Finish Nesting Bowl, ¾ - 1.5-3 - 4-5 - 8 Quart - Cooking Supplies
OXO Good Grips Wooden Spoon Set, 3-Piece
Nordic Ware Natural Aluminum Commercial Muffin Pan, 12 Cup
USA Pan (1200MF) Bakeware Cupcake and Muffin Pan, 12 Well, Nonstick & Quick Release Coating, Made in the USA from Aluminized Steel
150pcs Tulip Cupcake Liners Natural Baking Cups Muffin Paper Liner Grease-Proof Wrappers for Wedding, Birthday Party, Standard Size, Natural Color
Standard Size White Cupcake Paper/Baking Cup/Cup Liners, Pack of 500
Wilton Easy Flex Silicone Spatula Set, Your Go-To Tools for Mixing, Folding, Scraping, Cooking and Serving., Blue, 3-Piece
Homestia Gold Measuring Cups and Spoons Set Stainless Steel 8 PIECE for Dry and Liquid Ingredients Engraved Meaurement Heavy Duty Baking & Cooking Utensils
Pyrex Prepware 2-Cup Measuring Cup, Red Graphics, Clear
Nutrition Information:Yield: 17 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 134Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 12mgSodium: 200mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 3gSugar: 12gProtein: 3g