Estimated reading time: 5 minutes
Crème Brûlée is a creamy egg and cream-based custard, infused with vanilla topped with a thin, crispy, sugar crust. Make this classic, French, 4-ingredient dessert for a decadent sweet treat.
Hi Everyone, my best friend from college, Christin, reminded me recently that I didn’t have Crème Brûlée on the blog.
This recipe occupies a special place in my heart because I used to make this delicious dessert when we were college roommates, cooking together.
During that time, my first time away from home, as a young adult, we learned how to cook for ourselves together and it was so much fun!
Most of the time, she would usually make a savory dinner and I would like to make a sweet dessert.
Sometimes we would even host parties, go on these epic grocery trips, spend too much on ingredients (our fridge would be bursting at the seams), and cook all day beforehand to get ready.
Those were such fun times and I look back fondly on them.
Crème Brûlée is one of those elegant desserts that seems hard but is actually very easy!
It takes some patience because you need to allow the custard to chill overnight (at least 8 hours) to allow it to set up before spreading to tops with a thin layer of sugar and using a kitchen torch or your broiler (what I usually end up doing) for a few moments to create that signature thin, crispy, sugar crust.
This Crème Brûlée dessert tastes delicious with fruit/berries either cooked inside or served with it on top adding pops of tart freshness; I like blueberries, raspberries, or any seasonally available fruit.
- 4 large egg yolks
- 7 tbsps granulated white sugar
- 2.5 cups heavy whipping cream I prefer using organic
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- fresh fruit or berries to garnish
This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
- measuring spoons and cups
- mixing bowls
- baking spatula
- 9 x 13-inch baking pan
- 6 1/2 cup heat-safe ramekins
I know you will love this Crème Brûlée dessert recipe!
This recipe is inspired by “Crème Brûlées”, p. 375 of Le Cordon Bleu Complete Cook: Home Collection
- No-Churn Chocolate Ice Cream
- Mason Jar Tiramisu Trifle
- 7 Layer Dip
- Tuscan Kitchen & Market in Portsmouth, NH
- No-Bake Peanut Butter Bars
- New York Crumb Cake
What kind of fruit would you have with this Crème Brûlée recipe?
Please let me know in the comments below!
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Whisk the egg yolks and 3 tablespoons of sugar in a heat-proof mixing bowl and set aside.
- In a small-medium saucepan, bring heavy whipping cream and vanilla extract to a boil and reduce to a simmer for 8 minutes, then remove from heat.
- Slowly pour the whipping cream-vanilla mixture into the egg mixture while whipping the eggs with a whisk very fast, so that the eggs do not scramble.
- Strain the egg-cream mixture through a mesh strainer into a pitcher.
- Pour the mixture evenly into the ramekin cups. Place the cup in a 9 x 13-inch baking pan.
- Add hot water to the 9 x 13-inch pan until the water reaches 1/2 inch under the top edge of the ramekin cups.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes in the preheated oven. When the cups are done baking, remove them from the oven and allow them to cool completely, then cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- To make the sugar crust: evenly smooth with your finger, the remaining 4 tablespoons of sugar over the tops of the custard ramekins.
- Using a kitchen torch, heat the tops of the custard being careful to not burn the sugar. You can also place the ramekins under the broiler (not too close!) for a few moments just to caramelize the crust keeping a close eye on the tops. Remove from heat and allow to cool a bit before serving. You can decorate with fresh fruit or berries before serving. Enjoy!
- You will need 6, 1/2 cup oven-safe ramekin cups
- Try our Homemade Vanilla Extract recipe
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. #CommissionsEarned #ad
Pyrex Glass Measuring Cup Set (3-Piece, Microwave and Oven Safe),Clear
Homestia Gold Measuring Cups and Spoons Set Stainless Steel 8 PIECE for Dry and Liquid Ingredients Engraved Measurement Heavy Duty Baking & Cooking Utensils
Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls by Finedine (Set of 6) Polished Mirror Finish Nesting Bowl, ¾ - 1.5-3 - 4-5 - 8 Quart - Cooking Supplies
Bellemain 4 oz. Porcelain Ramekins, Set of 6
Nordic Ware Natural Aluminum Commercial Baker's Half Sheet (2 Pack), Silver
AmazonBasics Stainless Steel Wire Whisk Set - 3-Piece
HÖLM 3-Piece Stainless Steel Mesh Micro-Perforated Strainer Colander Set (1-Quart, 2.5-Quart and 4.5-Quart)
Wilton Easy Flex Silicone Spatula Set, Your Go-To Tools for Mixing, Folding, Scraping, Cooking and Serving., Blue, 3-Piece
OXO Good Grips Non-Stick Pro Cake Pan 9 x 13 Inch
Rubbermaid rubbermaind2pk B01KU3IGYS 1 Gallon Classic Pitcher, Pack of 2 Colors, Coral-Blue, 2-Pack, Red
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 479Total Fat: 40gSaturated Fat: 24gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 267mgSodium: 76mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 1gSugar: 22gProtein: 8g
Please note that the Calculated Nutrition is an estimate at best.
- First published: 12/18/2017
- Updated & republished: 2/4/2023