Cutout Sugar Cookies are a classic, butter and sugar-based cookie dough recipe that can be used for cutout Holiday cookies, to make a Sugar Cookie Candy House, or as a base for other classic cookie recipes. These cookies are perfect for decorating with Royal Icing! Makes about 5 dozen cookies.
Cutout Sugar Cookies
Hi Everyone, is it cookie season where you are? Truthfully, every day of the year is cookie season!
This cookie recipe is a classic, Cutout Sugar Cookies recipe to make for the Christmas and Winter holidays, Valentine’s Day, Birthdays, and any occasion that you need a large batch of sugar cookie dough.
It also makes a great dough to make a Sugar Cookie Candy House – the same idea as a Gingerbread House – just made out of Sugar Cookie!
These cookies can be baked to be softer (when made thicker at 1/4″ thick) or thin and crisp (1/8″ thick).
These sugar cookies are perfect to be decorated with my classic Royal Icing recipe.
RELATED: Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix (Edible Gift)
If you make these Cutout Sugar Cookies and like them, please give the recipe a rating in the recipe card below and let us know in the comments at the end of the post.
Thank you for reading and following along!
RELATED: Cookie Recipes Collection
RELATED: Peanut Butter Cookies
RELATED: Oatmeal Raisin Cranberry Cookies
- Make the Sugar Cookie Dough: In a large mixing bowl add the flour, baking powder, and Kosher salt and whisk to combine, set aside. In the bowl of a stand mixer on low-medium speed, add the unsalted butter and sugar and cream the ingredients together until smooth and even. Gradually add the flour mixture to the butter-sugar mixture and stir until combined. Wrap the dough up and chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour or overnight.
- Make the Cookie Cutouts: Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C). Divide the dough into quarters, and work with 1/4 at a time; Refrigerate the rest of the dough until you are ready to use it. On a floured surface, like a pastry mat, roll out the dough with a floured rolling pin. (You can also use a chilled ceramic or metal rolling pin to keep the dough cold). Make the cookie cutouts and lay them on the prepared baking sheet(s).
- Bake the Cookies: Bake the cookies in a preheated oven, for 6-8 minutes until the edges are slightly golden. When they are done allow them to cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheet before transferring them to a wire baking rack to cool completely. Enjoy the cookies as is or decorate with Royal Icing.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- RFAQK- 90 Pcs Russian piping tips set with storage case - Cake decorating supplies kit - 54 Numbered easy to use icing nozzles (28 Russian + 25 Icing + 1 Ball tip) - Pattern chart, Ebook User Guide
- Riccle Disposable Icing Piping Bags 12 Inch - 100 Pcs Heavy Duty Anti Burst Pastry Bags for Cream Frosting - Cookie Cake Decorating Supplies
- Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls by Finedine (Set of 6) Polished Mirror Finish Nesting Bowl, ¾ - 1.5-3 - 4-5 - 8 Quart - Cooking Supplies
- Wilton Easy Flex Silicone Spatula Set, Your Go-To Tools for Mixing, Folding, Scraping, Cooking and Serving., Blue, 3-Piece
- AmazonBasics Stainless Steel Wire Whisk Set - 3-Piece
- KitchenAid Professional 6-Quart Stand Mixer Satin Polished Metal (Copper Metal) (Renewed)
- Pyrex Easy Grab Glass Bakeware and Food Storage Set (8-Piece, BPA-free)
- Pyrex Smart Essentials 8-Piece Mixing Bowl Set
- Non-slip Silicone Pastry Mat Extra Large with Measurements 28''By 20'' for Silicone Baking Mat, Counter Mat, Dough Rolling Mat,Oven Liner,Fondant/Pie Crust Mat By Folksy Super Kitchen (2028, red)
- If You Care FSC Certified Parchment Baking Paper, 70 sq ft (Pack of 2)
- AmazonBasics Silicone Baking Mat Sheet, Set of 2
- Silpat AE420295-07 Premium Non-Stick Silicone Baking Mat, Half Sheet Size, 11-5/8-Inch x 16-1/2-Inch (2 pack)
- Ultra Cuisine 100% Stainless Steel Wire Cooling Rack for Baking fits Half Sheet Pans Cool Cookies, Cakes, Breads - Oven Safe for Cooking, Roasting, Grilling - Heavy Duty Commercial Quality
- 13 Pieces Stainless Steel Christmas Cookie Cutters with Comfort Grip 3.5í plus a Rolling Pin for Large Holiday Cookies, Snowflake Cookies, Gingerbread Man Cookies, Christmas Party and Baking Gift
- Ateco 20175 French Rolling Pin,20-Inch, Solid Maple Wood, Made in Canada
- JOYIN13 Pieces Stainless Steel Christmas Cookie Cutters with Comfort Grip 3.5í plus a Rolling Pin for Large Holiday Cookies, Snowflake Cookies, Gingerbread Man Cookies, Christmas Party and Baking Gift
- Homestia Gold Measuring Cups and Spoons Set Stainless Steel 8 PIECE for Dry and Liquid Ingredients Engraved Meaurement Heavy Duty Baking & Cooking Utensils
- Pyrex Prepware 2-Cup Glass Measuring Cup
- Nordic Ware Natural Aluminum Commercial Baker's Half Sheet (2 Pack), Silver
Nutrition Information:Yield: 60 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 111Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 25mgSodium: 58mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 0gSugar: 7gProtein: 2g
Please note that the Calculated Nutrition is an estimate at best.