This Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix makes a rich, sweet, flavorful, and chocolate-y cup of classic, yet nuanced hot chocolate – just add hot water to the mix! This hot chocolate recipe also makes a wonderful edible gift. (recipe tutorial video included, serves 4)
Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix
Hi Everyone, If you are craving a cup of rich, hot chocolate, this is the recipe for you!
All you need is hot water to bring this hot chocolate to life.
The nuance flavor comes from the quality of chocolate and the warm spice of cinnamon, adding to the richness of the hot chocolate.
You can also add optional marshmallows (mini, large, or dehydrated marshmallows), vanilla extract, or another syrup flavor to customize the recipe.
For optional syrups that would go with this, caramel or raspberry syrup would be a delicious pairing.
RELATED: Coffee Drink Recipe Collection
I made sure to include several step-by-step photos in the recipe card below to walk you through the process of making this recipe.
RELATED: Simple Syrups Recipe Collection
This hot chocolate mix can be made in any season but is especially nice during Fall and Winter if you live in an area when it’s cold out during those seasons.
RELATED: How to Make Homemade Vanilla Extract
This recipe would be great for Christmas and makes a great edible gift for gift giving.
You can use lidded mason jars for containers (1 recipe fills 2 wide-mouth pint-size jars), tie a ribbon, and perhaps attach a little tablespoon for scooping.
You can put marshmallows and chocolate in a zip-lock bag if you don’t want to combine them.
You can double the recipe if you want to make a large batch for gift-giving.
RELATED: Vanilla Whipped Cream
I also see this recipe being perfect for Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day, and as a teacher’s gift.
RELATED: Gingerbread Recipes Collection
What occasion would you give this Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix for?
I came up with this Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix to make for my children because it’s a treat they like after school or on cold days.
It’s a nice alternative to the store-bought hot chocolate mix that comes in packets.
I also love to have it when watching TV in the evening as a night time drink and alternative to coffee, tea, or wine/drinks.
This recipe is also inspired by How to Make Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix from The Pioneer Woman blog.
If you make this Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix recipe and like it, please give it a rating in the recipe card below and let us know at the end of the post in the comments.
RELATED: Epic Slow Cooker Hot Chocolate
RELATED: Mexican Hot Chocolate
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup powdered milk (instant dry milk)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 50 grams bittersweet, dark chocolate (4 pieces of Lindt chocolate)
- 1/8 (pinch) teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Optional Ingredients after adding hot water
- In a medium-large mixing bowl, whisk together powdered sugar, powdered milk, unsweetened cocoa powder, Kosher salt, and ground cinnamon. Carefully, pour the ingredients into a wide-mouth tall mason jar (I like to use a canning funnel for this). Add in chocolate and optional marshmallows and screw on the lid.
- To Make the Hot Chocolate: Add 1 cup of hot water to a heat-safe mug.
- Slowly add up to 1 cup (depending on how rich you like it) mix to the hot water and stir in.
- Mix in a square of chocolate, optional ingredients and top with marshmallows and optional spice mixes. Enjoy!
- It really helps to sift all the ingredients together with a flour sifter after everything is combined.
- The mix alone and dehydrated marshmallows will last up to 6 months, stored in an air-tight container.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Norpro Canning Wide Mouth Plastic Funnel, Green, 4.75in/12cm
- Libbey Robusta Glass Mugs, Set of 12
- Libbey 10.5-ounce Irish Coffee Mug, 4-piece Set
- Homestia Gold Measuring Cups and Spoons Set Stainless Steel 8 PIECE for Dry and Liquid Ingredients Engraved Meaurement Heavy Duty Baking & Cooking Utensils
- Pyrex Prepware 2-Cup Glass Measuring Cup
- COSORI Electric Gooseneck Kettle with 5 Variable Presets, Pour Over Coffee Kettle & Tea Kettle, 100% Stainless Steel Inner Lid & Bottom, 1200 Watt Quick Heating, 0.8L, Silver
- Ball 24 oz Jar, Wide mouth, 24 ounce (Pack of 2),Clear
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 servings Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 369Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 5mgSodium: 247mgCarbohydrates: 67gFiber: 5gSugar: 51gProtein: 11g
Please note that the Calculated Nutrition is an estimate at best.