Estimated reading time: 9 minutes
This Flat White espresso drink recipe has a dominant espresso flavor, and frothy milk, and in our, very, non-traditional version, we include blue pea flower tea powder, making it a Blue Pea Flower Flat White or a Blue Flat White. It differs from a latte where you would have a dominant milk flavor over the espresso flavor. With this drink you have the strong espresso and blue pea flower tea flavor coming through. Traditionalists, look away! We are breaking rules here and getting playful with ingredients! You can include your favorite sweetener or leave it unsweetened which would be more traditional. (makes 1 serving)
Table of contents
Hi Everyone, This flat white is not a traditional flat white espresso drink which has espresso with a layer of milk foam on top – and nothing else. If you’re a traditionalist with your espresso, be prepared to have some feathers ruffled if you proceed 😉
In this recipe, we include blue butterfly pea flower tea powder and the possibility of a sweetener allowing you to customize your drink to your liking.
We are stretching the idea of a traditional Flat White recipe with a modern, customized drink, making extra in terms of visual beauty and flavor.
This recipe is meant to be playful with ingredients, to make something new, strictly speaking, this recipe is not technically a flat white, in the traditional sense, instead, I consider it a new version of a flat white, a new variation.
Of course, if you prefer, you can still follow the instructions in the full, printable recipe at the end of the post, to make a traditional flat white without any additional ingredients.
Please Note: If you want to make this a Latte, all you have to do is change the espresso-to-milk ratio. For a latte the ratio is 1:3, that’s 1 part espresso to 3 parts milk. In the video, that’s why I include “latte” in the title.
Q & A
What is the difference between a latte and flat white?
A latte and a flat white are similar espresso drinks. In a flat white the espresso flavor is more dominant than the milk flavor. This is controlled by the ratio of espresso to frothed milk.
What is in a flat white?
A flat white has espresso, steamed milk, and an optional sweetener of choice. In this version we include blue butterfly pea flower tea powder (also called Blue Matcha), but you can use other drink powders, for example, green Matcha tea powder, cocoa powder, and various fruit powders to add color, flavor, and other benefits these powders include.
What is the point of flat white?
A flat white espresso drink can be ordered if you prefer an espresso drink with more of a dominant espresso flavor.
Is flat white stronger than a latte?
A flat white will have a stronger espresso taste than a latte. A latte will have a dominant milk taste.
Here are the ingredients for this recipe (get the full, printable recipe at the end of the post):
- 1-2 shots of fresh espresso
- steamed whole milk with milk foam
- 1 teaspoon blue butterfly pea flower tea powder
- optional ingredients: sweetener of choice
Here’s a list of kitchen tools that are needed for this recipe:
- espresso machine or stovetop espresso maker
- heat-safe espresso mug
- milk frother/milk frothing picture
- spoon for stirring
How to Make a Flat White (Blue Pea Flower Flat White)
(Get the full, printable recipe at the bottom of the post)
Make the espresso: Brew 1-2 fresh shots of your favorite espresso roast. Add it to your mug.
If you want to add a sweetener, add that now to the hot espresso. *Please note, that in a traditional flat white, there would be no sweetener.
Steam the Milk: Measure out the milk and froth the milk with the wand. *Please note, that the proper proportions for a flat white are 1/3 espresso to 2/3 milk.
(If you want a traditional Flat White, skip this step)
Customize the frothed milk: Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of blue butterfly pea flower powder into the hot frothy milk. Using a handheld frothing wand, mix the powder into the milk.
Assemble the drink: Add the milk to the espresso. Add the milk foam on top. Enjoy!
Our Other Recipes and Posts
If you like this recipe, check out our other similar recipes and posts:
Check out our latest recipes and posts:
If you make this recipe, and like it, please give it a rating in the recipe card below and let us know in the comments at the end of the post.
Thank you for reading and following along!
- Make the espresso: Brew 1-2 fresh shots of your favorite espresso roast. Add it to your mug. (If you want to add a sweetener, add that now to the hot espresso. *Please note, that in a traditional flat white, there would be no sweetener.)
- Steam the Milk: Measure out the milk and froth the milk with the wand. *Please note, that the proper proportions for a flat white are 1/3 espresso to 2/3 milk.
- (If you want a traditional Flat White, skip this step, go to step 4) Customize the frothed milk: Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of blue butterfly pea flower powder into the hot frothy milk. Using a handheld frothing wand, mix the powder into the milk.
- Assemble the drink: Add the milk to the espresso. Add the milk foam on top. Enjoy!
- Espresso to Milk Ratio: Please note, that the proper proportions for a flat white are 1/3 espresso to 2/3 milk.
- How to Make this a Latte: Please Note, If you want to make this a Latte, all you have to do is change the espresso-to-milk ratio. For a latte the ratio is 1:3, that's 1 part espresso to 3 parts milk. (In the video, that's why I include "latte" in the title.)
- If you want to add a sweetener, check out our Simple Syrups Recipe Collection
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. #CommissionsEarned #ad
2-Pack 12 Oz Double Walled Glass Coffee Mugs with Handle,Insulated Layer Coffee Cups,Clear Borosilicate Glass Mugs,Perfect for Cappuccino,Tea,Latte,Espresso,Hot Beverage,Wine,Microwave Safe
Konitz 275A110001 Two Giftboxed Cafe Latte Cups And Saucers (Set of 2) White
Gourmia GMF225 Cordless Electric Milk Frother & Heater for Extra Foamy Cappuccino, Latte & More, Stainless Steel, Detachable Base For Easy Serving
SIMPLETaste Milk Frother Handheld Battery Operated Electric Foam Maker, Drink Mixer with Stainless Steel Whisk and Stand for Cappuccino, Bulletproof Coffee, Latte
Aozita Espresso Cups and Saucers with Espresso Spoons, Stackable Espresso Mugs,12-piece 2.5-Ounce Demitasse Cups (Protective Packaging)
Breville BES980XL Oracle Espresso Machine, Brushed Stainless Steel
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 286Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 44mgSodium: 231mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 0gSugar: 26gProtein: 16g
Please note that the Calculated Nutrition is an estimate at best. If you make this recipe and love it, remember to stop back and give it a 5-star rating – it helps others find the recipe!
- This recipe post was photographed and filmed on 6/12/2022 and posted on 10/12/2020