Funeral Potatoes are a cheesy funeral potatoes casserole recipe that feeds all your cravings. Perfect for any nights dinner, special occasions and any gathering with hungry stomachs 🙂
Hi Everyone, have you ever tried “Funeral Potatoes”? If you like any kind of cheese and potato casserole, this recipe is the ultimate!
I can see this Funeral Potatoes recipe being served for any kind of gathering, holiday, and every night dinner.
Funeral Potatoes are named as such because they are usually served as a side-dish after funerals, popular among the LDS church. I personally did not grow up with them but they have all the ingredients that I love!
Ingredients for Funeral Potatoes
- 2 pounds frozen hash browns (thawed)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce/298 grams cans) condensed cream of chicken soup
- 2 cups whole milk (you can substitute 1 pint sour cream)
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- 3/4 cup onion, chopped (optional)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated (you can also use a mac & cheese blend), plus more to sprinkle on top (about 1/4 cup)
- 2 cups crushed corn flakes
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- chopped chives, to garnish
Disclosure: Some links in this post are affiliate links which means I earn a commission if you purchase through them at no extra cost to you. I only recommend brands and products that I 100% like and enjoy using. Thank you in advance for your support!
Helpful Kitchen Tools for Funeral Potatoes
- 9″x13″ inch casserole pan
- large mixing bowl
- large wooden spoon or spatula for serving
I can see this funeral potatoes recipe being served for Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, cookouts/BBQs and as a side at any holiday.
I know you will love this funeral potatoes recipe! It’s so hearty and satisfying!
Funeral Potatoes are a cheesy funeral potatoes casserole recipe that feeds all your cravings. Perfect for any nights dinner, special occasions and any gathering with hungry stomachs
- 2 pounds frozen hash browns thawed
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce/298 g) cans condensed cream of chicken soup
- 2 cups whole milk sub 1 pint sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 3/4 cup onion chopped
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 cups cheddar cheese grated (you can also use a mac & cheese blend), plus more to sprinkle on top (about 1/4 cup)
- 2 cups crushed corn flakes cereal
- 6 tbsps unsalted butter melted
- 2 tbsps chives or amount to taste, chopped
Saute the onion and 1 tablespoon unsalted butter until the onions are translucent.
In a large mixing bowl, mix all the ingredients together (except cornflakes and 6 tablespoons unsalted butter).
Put the potato-mixture into a 9 x 13 inch oven safe pan.
Combine the crushed cornflakes and melted butter. Sprinkle the cornflakes-butter mixture over the top of the casserole.
Bake the dish at 350 degrees for 40-50 minutes. The mixture should be bubbly throughout.
This recipe is inspired by this Funeral Potatoes Recipe on Genius Kitchen