This Single Crust Recipe can be used for pie and quiche recipes both savory and sweet. Super easy with only 4 ingredients! (vegan option)
Estimated reading time: 3 minutes
Single Crust Recipe
Hi Everyone, you know it’s always great to have a solid, single-crust recipe on hand to use for pie or quiche recipes.
This is one that I have been using for years when I need an easy, homemade single crust in a pinch.
You can use this Single Crust Recipe for sweet or savory recipes alike.
You can also make this Single Crust recipe dairy-free, vegan by swapping the same amount of unsalted butter with coconut oil.
Make sure not to over mix the dough and make sure you give it those chill times as the recipe requires.
You want the dough to be cold and solid when it’s going into the oven.
Ingredients for Single Crust Recipe
- Kosher salt
- unsalted butter
- ice water
RELATED: Pie Recipe Collection
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (cubed, chilled) *see notes
- 1/4 cup ice water
- mixing bowls
- food processor (optional)
- butter knife
- rolling pin
- pastry mat
- pie weights
- pie plate
Our Other Recipes and Posts
This recipe is inspired by “Butter Flaky Pie Crust“
Check out our Recipe & DIY indexes, visit our Home page to view our latest posts & categories, visit our Blog page to see our posts in consecutive order, and our Shop to see our favorite kitchen tools!
- Tri Color Salad
- Strawberry Lemonade
- Strawberry Mint Shortcake with Ladyfingers
- Rose Water Simple Syrup
- Strawberry Salsa Recipe
This Single Crust Recipe originally was published on 12/19/2017 and updated and republished on 11/7/2020.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour and Kosher salt.
- Add chilled, cubed unsalted butter. Using a pastry cutter, combine butter with the flour until the mixture is coarse with chunks of butter. You don't have to over-mix.
- Slowly add in the ice water and stir to combine. Use just enough to get the mixture to form a ball.
- Wrap the dough in an airtight container or plastic wrap. Chill the dough ball for a 1/2 hour before working with it again. You can also make this ahead of the day you need it and allow it to chill 8 hours or overnight.
- Using a lightly floured surface (optionally, you can use a pastry mat) and rolling pin (I prefer the tapered French-style pin or a pin that can be chilled, made from marble or ceramic). Roll out the dough to fit a 9-inch pie plate.
- Press the dough in the pie plate. At this point, you can blind bake the crust with pie weights if the recipe calls for it. Continue with your chosen recipe for the filling.
- Optional: If you are making a sweet dessert pie recipe, you can use an egg wash and sprinkle coarse sugar like Demerara sugar on the edge. You can also use cookie cutters and cut out shapes with any extra dough if you wish to decorate.
- This recipe can also be made in a food processor using the pulse setting.
- Dairy-Free, Vegan Option: You can also make this Single Crust recipe dairy-free, vegan by swapping the same amount of unsalted butter with coconut oil. Make sure not to over mix the dough and make sure you give it those chill times as the recipe requires. You want the dough to be cold and solid when it's going into the oven.
- How to Blind Bake the Pie Crust: Preheat oven to 350°F. Add parchment paper over the finished pie crust and pie weights.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Harold Import, Mrs. Anderson's Pie Weights
- KitchenAid KE351OHOBA All Purpose Shears, One Size, Black/Black
- Mrs. Anderson’s Baking Pie Crust Cookie Cutters, BPA Free, Set of 4
- Mini Cookie Cutter Shapes Set - 24 Small Molds to Cut Out Pastry Dough, Pie Crust & Fruit - Tiny Stainless Steel Metal Stamps Teardrop Leaf, Flower, Heart, Star, Geometric Shapes - Cut Fondant & Clay
- R&M International 0 Leaves 2" Pastry/Cookie/Fondant Stampers, Leaves and Acorn, 4-Piece Set
- Ateco 20175 French Rolling Pin,20-Inch, Solid Maple Wood, Made in Canada
- If You Care FSC Certified Parchment Baking Paper, 70 sq ft (Pack of 2)
- Cuisinart DFP-14BCNY 14-Cup Food Processor, Brushed Stainless Steel
- Pyrex Prepware 2-Cup Glass Measuring Cup
- OXO Good Grips Stainless Steel Bladed Dough Blender and Cutter,Null,NULL
- Pyrex Easy Grab Glass Pie Plate (9.5-Inch, 2-Pack)
- Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls by Finedine (Set of 6) Polished Mirror Finish Nesting Bowl, ¾ - 1.5-3 - 4-5 - 8 Quart - Cooking Supplies
- Non-slip Silicone Pastry Mat Extra Large with Measurements 28''By 20'' for Silicone Baking Mat, Counter Mat, Dough Rolling Mat,Oven Liner,Fondant/Pie Crust Mat By Folksy Super Kitchen (2028, red)
- 5x Pizza Pie Server Cake Holder Transfer Triangular Spade Spatula for Cake Baking Wood Wooden Handle Shovel Stainless Steel
- Pyrex Easy Grab Glass Bakeware and Food Storage Set (8-Piece, BPA-free)
- Pyrex Smart Essentials 8-Piece Mixing Bowl Set
- Calphalon 5-Piece Nylon Kitchen Cooking Utensil Set
- Homestia Gold Measuring Cups and Spoons Set Stainless Steel 8 PIECE for Dry and Liquid Ingredients Engraved Measurement Heavy Duty Baking & Cooking Utensils
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 173Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 75mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 1gSugar: 0gProtein: 2g
Please note that the Calculated Nutrition is an estimate at best.