This Single Crust Recipe can be used for pie and quiche recipes both savory and sweet. Super easy with only 4 ingredients! (vegan option)
Single Crust Recipe
Hi Everyone, you know it’s always great to have a solid, single crust recipe on hand to use for pie or quiche recipes. This is one that I have been using for years when I need an easy, homemade single crust in a pinch.
You can use this Single Crust Recipe for sweet or savory recipes alike.
You can also make this Single Crust recipe dairy-free, vegan by swapping the same amount of unsalted butter with coconut oil. Make sure not to over mix the dough and make sure you give it those chill times as the recipe requires. You want the dough to be cold and solid when it’s going into the oven.
Ingredients for Single Crust Recipe
- Kosher salt
- unsalted butter
- ice water
Disclosure: Some links in this post are affiliate links which means I earn a commission if you purchase through them at no extra cost to you. I only recommend brands and products that I 100% like and enjoy using. Thank you in advance for your support!
Helpful Kitchen Tools for Single Crust Recipe
- mixing bowls
- food processor (optional)
- butter knife
- rolling pin
- pastry mat
- pie weights
- pie plate
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cubed, chilled, for a vegan option, use the same amount coconut oil, make sure it's chilled
- 1/4 cup ice water
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour and Kosher salt.
- Add chilled, cubed unsalted butter. Using a pastry cutter, combine butter with the flour until the mixture is course with chunks of butter. You don't have to over mix.
- Slowly add in the ice water and stir to combine. Use just enough to get the mixture to form a ball.
- Wrap the dough in an air tight container or plastic wrap. Chill the dough ball for a 1/2 hour before working with it again. You can also make this ahead of the day you need it and allow it to chill 8 hours or overnight.
- Using a lightly floured surface (optionally, you can use a pastry mat) and rolling pin (I prefer the tapered French style pin or a pin that can be chilled, made from marble or ceramic). Roll out the dough to fit a 9 inch pie plate.
- Press the dough in the pie plate. At this point, you can blind bake the crust with pie weights if the recipe calls for it. Continue with your chosen recipe for the filling.
- Optional: If you are making a sweet dessert pie recipe, you can use an egg wash and sprinkle a course sugar like Demerara sugar on the edge. You can also use cookie cutters and cut out shapes with any extra dough, if you wish to decorate.
- This recipe can also be made in a food processor using the pulse setting.
- Dairy-Free, Vegan Option: You can also make this Single Crust recipe dairy-free, vegan by swapping the same amount of unsalted butter with coconut oil. Make sure not to over mix the dough and make sure you give it those chill times as the recipe requires. You want the dough to be cold and solid when it's going into the oven.
Did you make this recipe? Tag @lifeslittlesweets and hashtag it #lifeslittlesweets
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Pyrex Easy Grab Glass Pie Plate (9.5-Inch, 2-Pack)
- Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls by Finedine (Set of 6) Polished Mirror Finish Nesting Bowl, ¾ - 1.5-3 - 4-5 - 8 Quart - Cooking Supplies
- Non-slip Silicone Pastry Mat Extra Large with Measurements 28''By 20'' for Silicone Baking Mat, Counter Mat, Dough Rolling Mat,Oven Liner,Fondant/Pie Crust Mat By Folksy Super Kitchen (2028, red)
- 5x Pizza Pie Server Cake Holder Transfer Triangular Spade Spatula for Cake Baking Wood Wooden Handle Shovel Stainless Steel
- Pyrex Easy Grab Glass Bakeware and Food Storage Set (8-Piece, BPA-free)
- Pyrex Smart Essentials 8-Piece Mixing Bowl Set
- Calphalon 5-Piece Nylon Kitchen Cooking Utensil Set
- Homestia Gold Measuring Cups and Spoons Set Stainless Steel 8 PIECE for Dry and Liquid Ingredients Engraved Meaurement Heavy Duty Baking & Cooking Utensils
- Pyrex Prepware 2-Cup Measuring Cup, Red Graphics, Clear
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1504Total Fat: 107gSaturated Fat: 69gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 32gCholesterol: 244mgSodium: 599mgCarbohydrates: 119gFiber: 4gSugar: 0gProtein: 17g
Please note that the Calculated Nutrition is an estimate at best.
Our Other Recipes and Posts
This recipe is inspired by “Butter Flaky Pie Crust”
What will you use this Single Crust Recipe to make? Please let me know in the comments below! Best, ~Sara xo
Pin This! ⇓