Estimated reading time: 6 minutes
Palmiers (elephant ears) are a classic pastry recipe, with only 2-ingredients (puff pastry and sugar) and are buttery, crisp, and sweet. They go well with hot coffee or tea and can be eaten for breakfast, snacks, or dessert.
Table of contents
Hi Everyone, Palmiers (also called, Elephant Ears) are one of those simple, elegant pastries that are surprisingly easy to make as they have only 2-ingredients: Puff pastry and sugar!
They are baked in the oven and watch as they are gone in a flash because they are so tasty and irresistible.
They are one pastry that EVERYONE in my family absolutely adores.
I have wanted to share a Palmiers recipe on the blog for a while, so I am sharing this basic Palmiers recipe.
- 2 sheets of puff pastry, frozen and thawed
- 1/8 Kosher salt *optional, to counteract the sweetness
- granulated white sugar
I link to all the kitchen tools in the recipe card at the end of the post
- measuring spoons and cups
- rolling pin
- pastry mat
- small mixing bowls
- rimmed baking sheet
- chef’s knife
- cutting board
- silicone baking mat
- wire cooling rack
- serving dish
What are Palmiers?
Palmiers are a French pastry that is also known as elephant ears, ears (Mexico and Latin America), pig’s ear (Germany), palm heart, Coeur de France, French hearts, shoe-soles or glasses or ulleres (Catalonia and Valencia) and in China, they are called butterfly pastries.
Just about every country/culture has a version of these pastries.
The basic ingredients are a laminated dough, in this case, puff pastry and sugar.
They are sweet, crunchy, and slightly caramelized from baking in the oven.
Different recipes might include the addition of cinnamon (called “arlettes”) or honey (in Puerto Rico), coconut, or chocolate.
Step-By-Step Photos for How to Make Palmiers
Here are some step-by-Step Photos to walk you through making this easy Palmiers recipe (the full, printable recipe card is at the bottom of the post):
If you try this Palmiers recipe and like it, please give it a rating in the recipe card below and let us know how you like it in the comments.
Thank you for reading and following along!
- How to Make Half and Half
- Pan-Fried Fairytale Eggplant
- Wacky Cake
- Red Raspberry Leaf Tea
- Egg In a Hole Bagel
This post was originally posted 2/11/2021 and updated and republished on 8/23/2021.
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, add the sugar and salt, stir to combine.
- Prepare a surface to work the pastry.
- Layout 1 sheet of thawed puff pastry.
- Sprinkle and spread the sugar evenly over the top of the pastry.
- Using a rolling pin, roll out the sugar into the puff pastry into a 13x13 square.
- Fold the 2 sides of the square to meet in the center.
- Sprinkle the extra sugar over the pastry and using the rolling pin, roll the pastry.
- Fold the pastry in half.
- Using a dough scraper (or transfer the dough to a cutting board and use a knife) and cut into even slices.
- Arrange onto the baking sheet.
- Bake for 6 minutes or until the sugar is caramelized, then, using a spatula, turn them over and bake an additional 3-5 minutes.
- When they are done, transfer the palmiers to a wire rack to cool.
- Makes 40-46 cookies
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Victorinox Fibrox Pro Chef's Knife, 8-Inch Chef's FFP
- Gorilla Grip Original Reversible Cutting Board (3-Piece) BPA Free, Dishwasher Safe, Juice Grooves, Larger Thicker Boards, Easy Grip Handle, Non Porous, Extra Large, Kitchen (Set of Three: Black)
- Ateco 20175 French Rolling Pin,20-Inch, Solid Maple Wood, Made in Canada
- Non-slip Silicone Pastry Mat Extra Large with Measurements 28''By 20'' for Silicone Baking Mat, Counter Mat, Dough Rolling Mat,Oven Liner,Fondant/Pie Crust Mat By Folksy Super Kitchen (2028, red)
- OXO Good Grips Multi-purpose Stainless Steel Scraper & Chopper
- Nordic Ware Natural Aluminum Commercial Baker's Half Sheet (2 Pack), Silver
- Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls by Finedine (Set of 6) Polished Mirror Finish Nesting Bowl, ¾ - 1.5-3 - 4-5 - 8 Quart - Cooking Supplies
- Pyrex Smart Essentials 8-Piece Mixing Bowl Set
- Homestia Gold Measuring Cups and Spoons Set Stainless Steel 8 PIECE for Dry and Liquid Ingredients Engraved Measurement Heavy Duty Baking & Cooking Utensils
- Silpat AE420295-07 Premium Non-Stick Silicone Baking Mat, Half Sheet Size, 11-5/8-Inch x 16-1/2-Inch (2 pack)
- AmazonBasics Silicone Baking Mat Sheet, Set of 2
Nutrition Information:Yield: 40 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 27Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 5mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 0gSugar: 5gProtein: 0g
Please note that the Calculated Nutrition is an estimate at best.