Estimated reading time: 5 minutes
Pan-Fried Tomatoes are a tasty side dish to go with dinner, you can have them over a salad or with crackers and cheese for an appetizer.
Table of contents
How are everyone’s #dinnergoals going?
Are you ever at a loss for what to have as a side dish to go with the main course of your dinner?
These Pan-Fried Tomatoes are a very simple way to prepare tomatoes and they are great over steamed rice, pasta, meat, or as an addition to a salad.
I started out this blog sharing my baking recipes but slowly over time, I have been sharing more dinner and savory recipes.
Sometimes dinner can be a scramble during the week and I usually give myself less than an hour, sometimes just a half hour to put something together.
I intentionally give myself a narrow amount of time to make dinner because I do not want to spend a lot of time preparing dinner.
These Pan-Fried Tomatoes only take minutes to prepare…
This recipe tastes lovely over a bed of pasta, rice, zoodles, or spaghetti squash!
This post may contain affiliate links that won’t change your price but will share some commission.
Ingredients for Pan-Fried Tomatoes
- 1-pint cherry or grape tomatoes halved (you can use any variety of tomato, just cut them into smaller pieces if they are large)
- 2 tbsp olive oil regular
- 1-2 cloves fresh garlic peeled and minced
- 1/4 tsp Kosher salt, amount to taste you can also use Himalayan pink salt or sea salt in the same amount)
- 1/4 tsp fresh cracked pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon garnish with fresh, chopped basil, amount to taste
Kitchen Tools Needed for Pan-Fried Tomatoes
- medium frying pan
- silicone spatula or wood spatula
- spatter cover for frying pan *not necessary but recommended to catch any oil spatter
- pepper grinder
If you like this Pan-Fried Tomatoes recipe, you might also like some of our other recipes with tomatoes: Homemade Garden Fresh Salsa, Tomato Basil Mozzarella Puff Pastry Tart, Tomato Basil Mozzarella Salad, Gluten Free Fried Tomatoes, and Grilled Cheese Tomato Bites on SoFabFood.
I know you will love these simply prepared, pan-fried tomatoes!
Pan-Fried Tomatoes are a tasty side dish to go with dinner, you can have them over a salad or with crackers and cheese for an appetizer. (vegan, gluten-free)
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, halved (you can use any variety of tomato, just cut them into smaller pieces if they are large)
- 2 tbsp olive oil, regular
- 1-2 cloves fresh garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/4 tsp Kosher salt, amount to taste, you can also use Himalayan pink salt or sea salt in the same amount)
- 1/4 tsp fresh cracked pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp fresh basil, chopped, amount to taste, for garnishing
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat, making sure the oil is coating the whole surface of the pan. Add minced garlic. Add tomatoes and have them evenly cover the surface of the frying pan, cover with a spatter cover or pan lid and cook for a few minutes.
- Keep an eye on them so they do not burn, and lower the heat if necessary, after a few minutes have passed, using a spatula, turn over the tomatoes so they cook evenly. Tomatoes should blister a little on their skin. Remove from heat when they are cooked to your desired texture which may be a little more or less for some people depending if they will be served alone or over another dish. They can be cooked down into more of a sauce too if desired. Top with fresh basil. Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. #CommissionsEarned #ad
Calphalon 5-Piece Nylon Kitchen Cooking Utensil Set
Lodge 12 Inch Cast Iron Skillet. Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Skillet with Red Silicone Hot Handle Holder.
Homestia Gold Measuring Cups and Spoons Set Stainless Steel 8 PIECE for Dry and Liquid Ingredients Engraved Measurement Heavy Duty Baking & Cooking Utensils
Pyrex Prepware 2-Cup Measuring Cup, Red Graphics, Clear
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 221Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 648mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 4gSugar: 19gProtein: 2g
Please note that the Calculated Nutrition is an estimate at best. If you make this recipe and love it, remember to stop back and give it a 5-star rating – it helps others find the recipe!
- 5/31/2018 – I recently updated the photos in this post, I left a thumbnail of the previous photo in case you are looking for it (original post date 10/27/2016),
- Updated and republished on 10/24/2022, 6/4/2023
- How To Parboil Broccoli - June 9, 2023
- Cheesecloth Turkey - June 8, 2023
- Hibiscus Juice - June 7, 2023
I love pan fried tomatoes, and make these quite often. Thanks for the delicious recipe.
Tomatoes are my kids total favourites!
So I know that this is go to make them happy, especially over some polenta 😀