Sautéed Shishito Peppers are savory, flavorful, and easy to make on the stovetop with in-season Shishito peppers. They are cooked in olive oil and seasoned with fresh garlic, soy sauce, Kosher salt, and fresh ground black pepper.
Estimated reading time: 5 minutes
Sautéed Shishito Peppers
Hi Everyone, I’ve been making new recipes with fresh, local produce from my CSA share boxes which I have been sharing about on the blog. These Sautéed Shishito Peppers have come out of all that Summer produce inspiration.
This recipe is vegan/vegetarian and it’s a great, flavorful vegan option for a Summer appetizer, a snacking option or to have as a side at dinner.
What are Shistito Peppers?
These peppers are not hot, they might have hints of heat if they are grown near hot peppers.
According to Wikipedia:
Shishito pepper is a sweet, East Asian variety of the species Capsicum annuum. It is known as kkwari-gochu in Korea because its wrinkled surface resembles groundcherries.
You don’t have to cook them with soy sauce, you can just season them with salt and pepper but I think the soy sauce really goes with them. I add the soy sauce as they are almost done, otherwise it can get gummy at the bottom of the frying pan.
The Use of Garlic for Making Shishito Peppers
I use fresh garlic from my CSA when making these Shishito peppers, it’s stronger in flower, more aromatic and therefore I can use a little less, I’ll usually use 1 clove per 1 dry quart of Shishito peppers but you could use 2 cloves of regular garlic from the grocery store, if that’s what you have available.
If you are using jarred minced garlic, use 1 teaspoon minced garlic as 1 clove of garlic.
When are Shishito Peppers in Season?
Shishito peppers can be available all year round, however if you are getting them fresh and local (for example here in NJ), they are available in Summer and early Fall.
We were able to get them in our August CSA share box.
RELATED: Stuffed Bell Peppers Recipe
RELATED: Sweet Potato Kale Lentil Soup
RELATED: Fresh Garlic Hummus
RELATED: Stir-Fried Ginger Garlic Broccoli
If you make this Sautéed Shishito Peppers recipe, and like it, please give a rating in the recipe card below and let us know in the comments at the end of the post. Thank you for reading and following along!
- 1 quart Shishito peppers
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil, regular
- 1 clove fresh garlic, minced
- 1-2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt, or amount to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper. or amount to taste
- In a large wok or large skillet for sauteing, add the olive oil and minced garlic over low-medium heat.
- When the oil is hot and the garlic is translucent, add the Shishito peppers. Turn over the Shishito peppers and cook until blistered and then remove. You want the peppers to still have some bite to them but have some char on them for flavor, so keep a close eye on them. As they finish cooking, add in the soy sauce and turn over until coated remove from heat. Add Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to taste.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Homestia Gold Measuring Cups and Spoons Set Stainless Steel 8 PIECE for Dry and Liquid Ingredients Engraved Measurement Heavy Duty Baking & Cooking Utensils
- Pyrex Prepware 2-Cup Measuring Cup, Red Graphics, Clear
- TableCraft 32405 Bamboo Handle Wok Spatula, 14.5-Inch
- Wooden Spatula for Cooking 12 Inch Kitchen Utensil - Handmade Thin Walnut Wood Saute Spatula, Multipurpose Premium Flat Wooden Spatula, Perfect for Flipping, Scraping, Sauteing, Turning
- Calphalon Triply Stainless Steel 12-Inch Wok Stir Fry Pan With Cover
- Aozita 17oz Glass Olive Oil Bottle - 500ml Dark Brown Oil & Vinegar Cruet with Pourers and Funnel - Olive Oil Carafe Decanter for Kitchen
- Oxo Good Grips 3-piece Silicone Spatula Set
- Lodge 14 Inch Cast Iron Wok. Pre-Seasoned Wok with Flattened Bottom for Asian Stir Fry and Sautees
- OXO Good Grips Soft-Handled Garlic Press
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 104Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 398mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 2g
Please note that the Calculated Nutrition is an estimate at best.