Does the price of Chinese takeout have you down? Try making your very own Sesame Chicken at home! It may take a little more time than driving to the nearest Chinese restaurant, but this labor of love is totally worth it!
This recipe gave me the chance to finally season and break in a brand new wok that I bought for my husband. For Christmas. Three years ago. I had a wok that my mom gave me that she had owned since I was little and the handle was getting kinda old and crusty and needed to be replaced. Oh my gosh. I just realized I bought MYSELF a new wok for Christmas three years ago. (Maybe that’s why he never used it?)
I have tried a number of different Sesame Chicken recipes and this one is the winner! The other ones I tried tasted floury or too sweet. Then I came across Sabrina’s Sesame Chicken recipe at her blog Dinner, then Dessert. I only had to adapt it slightly. I briefly met Sabrina at a conference this year and also went to hear her talk and give great blogging tips. She is also a bona fide chef!
Ingredients for Sesame Chicken
- Boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- Corn starch
- Egg whites
- Seltzer water
- Soy sauce
- Rice wine vinegar
- Brown sugar
- Sesame oil
- Sesame seeds
- Crushed red pepper
- Minced garlic
- Vegetable oil
Kitchen Tools Needed for Sesame Chicken
- Cutting board
- Dutch oven or deep fryer
- 1 large mixing bowl
- Mixing spoon
- 1 medium mixing bowl
- Spider strainer or slotted spoon
- Wok spatula
It was so satisfying to finally find a recipe that worked for Sesame Chicken. It truly tastes as good as it looks! It’s not too sweet and has just the right amount of heat and garlic. Mmmmmm… I may just have to whip up another batch this weekend! (In, you know, my husband’s wok.)
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into small chunks
For the Tempura Batter
- 1/2 cup corn starch
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup cold seltzer water
For the Sesame Sauce
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/2 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- vegetable oil, for deep frying
- sesame seeds, for garnish
- Preheat the oil in your deep fryer or dutch oven to 350ºF.
- In large mixing bowl, mix the tempura batter ingredients together.
- Add the chicken to the batter and coat well.
- Using tongs, add the chicken to the oil in batches and fry until golden brown.
- Remove the chicken with a spider strainer or slotted spoon and allow to drain on paper towel.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk the sesame sauce ingredients together well.
- Heat wok on medium high heat.
- Add the sesame sauce to the wok and use a wok spatula to move the sauce around until heated through.
- Add the chicken to the sauce and coat.
- Serve over rice and sprinkle with additional sesame seeds.
Did you make this recipe? Tag @lifeslittlesweets and hashtag it #lifeslittlesweets
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Lodge 14 Inch Cast Iron Wok. Pre-Seasoned Wok with Flattened Bottom for Asian Stir Fry and Sautees
- Seventh Generation 13737 Natural Unbleached 100% Recycled Paper Towel Rolls, 11" x 9", Brown (Case of 24)
- Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls by Finedine (Set of 6) Polished Mirror Finish Nesting Bowl, ¾ - 1.5-3 - 4-5 - 8 Quart - Cooking Supplies
- Pyrex Smart Essentials 8-Piece Mixing Bowl Set
- OXO Good Grips 12-Inch Tongs With Nylon Heads
- Pyrex Prepware 2-Cup Measuring Cup, Red Graphics, Clear
- Homestia Gold Measuring Cups and Spoons Set Stainless Steel 8 PIECE for Dry and Liquid Ingredients Engraved Meaurement Heavy Duty Baking & Cooking Utensils
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 527Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 138mgSodium: 1115mgCarbohydrates: 55gFiber: 2gSugar: 22gProtein: 34g
Please note that the Calculated Nutrition is an estimate at best.
Our Other Recipes & Posts
- Healthy Recipes Collection
- Rosewater Lemonade
- French Press Coffee
- Crispy Fried Buttermilk Chicken Tenders
- Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken
- Remembering My Grandfather Chok Man Chin
- Homemade Autumn Harvest Fruit and Nut Granola
- Couscous Fritters #FoodieMamas
- Flourless Chocolate Cake with Wineberries
- Orange Cranberry Crumb Cake
- Apple Crisp
- Easy Mushroom Orzo with Basil Pesto
- Easy Cherry Cheesecake
- Check out our Recipe index and DIY index and visit our Home page to view our latest posts