Does the price of Chinese takeout have you down? Try making your very own Sesame Chicken at home! It may take a little more time than driving to the nearest Chinese restaurant, but this labor of love is totally worth it!
Estimated reading time: 3 minutes
This recipe gave me the chance to finally season and break in a brand new wok that I bought for my husband.
For Christmas. Three years ago.
I had a wok that my mom gave me that she had owned since I was little and the handle was getting kinda old and crusty and needed to be replaced.
Oh my gosh.
I just realized I bought MYSELF a new wok for Christmas three years ago. (Maybe that’s why he never used it?)
I have tried a number of different Sesame Chicken recipes and this one is the winner!
The other ones I tried tasted floury or too sweet.
I only had to adapt it slightly.
I briefly met Sabrina at a conference this year and also went to hear her talk and give great blogging tips.
She is also a bona fide chef!
- Boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- Corn starch
- Egg whites
- Seltzer water
- Soy sauce
- Rice wine vinegar
- Brown sugar
- Sesame oil
- Sesame seeds
- Crushed red pepper
- Minced garlic
- Vegetable oil
- Cutting board
- Dutch oven or deep fryer
- 1 large mixing bowl
- Mixing spoon
- 1 medium mixing bowl
- Spider strainer or slotted spoon
- Wok spatula
It was so satisfying to finally find a recipe that worked for Sesame Chicken.
It truly tastes as good as it looks!
It’s not too sweet and has just the right amount of heat and garlic. Mmmmmm…
I may just have to whip up another batch this weekend! (In, you know, my husband’s wok.)
Our Other Recipes & Posts
- Healthy Recipes Collection
- Rosewater Lemonade
- French Press Coffee
- Crispy Fried Buttermilk Chicken Tenders
- Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken
- Remembering My Grandfather Chok Man Chin
- Homemade Autumn Harvest Fruit and Nut Granola
- Couscous Fritters #FoodieMamas
- Flourless Chocolate Cake with Wineberries
- Orange Cranberry Crumb Cake
- Apple Crisp
- Easy Mushroom Orzo with Basil Pesto
- Easy Cherry Cheesecake
- How to Make Milk with Milk Powder
- Sautéed Purslane
- Air Fryer Kohlrabi Fries
- Massaged Baby Red Russian Kale Salad
- How to Make Basic Fruit Jam without Pectin
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into small chunks
For the Tempura Batter
- 1/2 cup corn starch
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup cold seltzer water
For the Sesame Sauce
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/2 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- vegetable oil, for deep frying
- sesame seeds, for garnish
- Preheat the oil in your deep fryer or dutch oven to 350ºF.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the tempura batter ingredients together.
- Add the chicken to the batter and coat well.
- Using tongs, add the chicken to the oil in batches and fry until golden brown.
- Remove the chicken with a spider strainer or slotted spoon and allow to drain on a paper towel.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk the sesame sauce ingredients together well.
- Heat wok on medium-high heat.
- Add the sesame sauce to the wok and use a wok spatula to move the sauce around until heated through.
- Add the chicken to the sauce and coat.
- Serve over rice and sprinkle with additional sesame seeds.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
OXO Good Grips 15-Piece Everyday Kitchen Utensil Set
Pyrex Glass Measuring Cup Set (3-Piece, Microwave and Oven Safe),Clear
Lodge 14 Inch Cast Iron Wok. Pre-Seasoned Wok with Flattened Bottom for Asian Stir Fry and Sautees
Seventh Generation 13737 Natural Unbleached 100% Recycled Paper Towel Rolls, 11" x 9", Brown (Case of 24)
Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls by Finedine (Set of 6) Polished Mirror Finish Nesting Bowl, ¾ - 1.5-3 - 4-5 - 8 Quart - Cooking Supplies
Pyrex Smart Essentials 8-Piece Mixing Bowl Set
OXO Good Grips 12-Inch Tongs With Nylon Heads
Homestia Gold Measuring Cups and Spoons Set Stainless Steel 8 PIECE for Dry and Liquid Ingredients Engraved Measurement Heavy Duty Baking & Cooking Utensils
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 527Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 138mgSodium: 1115mgCarbohydrates: 55gFiber: 2gSugar: 22gProtein: 34g
Please note that the Calculated Nutrition is an estimate at best.