These crispy Couscous Fritters have only 7-8 ingredients and can be made in 30 minutes! Be sure to check out the other #FoodieMamas couscous recipes below!
Estimated reading time: 3 minutes
Hi Everyone, I love food with texture and crunch.
These couscous fritters are a great way to change up the typical way couscous is served.
The amount in this recipe is perfect for 2-4 people and is a snap to make!
What is Couscous?
“Couscous is a Berber traditional North African dish of semolina (granules of durum wheat), which is cooked by steaming. It is traditionally served with a meat or vegetable stew spooned over it. Couscous is a staple food throughout the North African cuisines of Tunisia, Algeria, Morocco, Mauritania and Libya and to a lesser extent in the Middle East and Trapani in Sicily.” – Wikipedia.org
I used “Rice Select Couscous Tri-Color” (made from Durum wheat with sun-dried tomato & spinach) which I found at my local grocery store.
- This is my 4th #FoodieMamas recipe round-up post (see 1, 2 & 3 here); what an amazing group ladies!
- ⇒ I am delighted to share with you something *new* for this month, below is a pinnable image which you can also click on each picture and it will lead you right to the recipe on each #FoodieMamas website! Please take the time to check out each one and share! Thank you!
Couscous – Wikipedia.org
What are your favorite couscous recipes?
Let me know in the comments below!
If you make this recipe, and like it, please give it a rating in the recipe card below and let us know in the comments at the end of the post.
Check out our Recipe & DIY indexes, visit our Home page to view our latest posts & categories, visit our Blog page to see our posts in consecutive order and, our Shop to see our favorite kitchen tools!
Latest Recipes and Posts
- Blue Butterfly Pea Flower Tea Latte (Mermaid Latte)
- Bunny Bait
- Bubble Coffee Recipe (Boba Coffee)
- How to Prepare Tapioca Pearls (Boba)
- No-Knead Bread
Thank you for reading and following along!
To Make Couscous
- 1 cup couscous
- 1/2 cup frozen organic peas, (you can use 1/4 cup if you want fewer * to remember changing the amounts of ingredients may affect the number of fritters you have in the end)
- 1 cup water, (for more flavor try using vegetable or chicken stock instead of water), plus extra, if needed (I added a few tablespoons extra)
- 1 teaspoon organic coconut oil, (can substitute butter, if you prefer)
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
To Make Couscous Fritters
- cooked couscous from the previous step
- 1/2 medium, (or 1 small) onion, diced (about 1/2 cup - we love onions in our house if that seems like a lot, feel free to dial it back to 1/4 cup)
- 2 large eggs
- 1-2 tablespoons of coconut oil, plus more if needed (can sub for butter, olive oil, or cooking oil of your choice).
- kosher salt, amount to taste
- ground pepper, amount to taste
- Make the Couscous: Bring water (or stock of choice) to a boil with salt, coconut oil, and frozen organic peas. When the mixture is boiling, add the couscous and remove it from heat, and cover. Allow it to stand for 4-5 minutes to allow the moisture to absorb.
- Make the Fritters: In a medium bowl, add cooked couscous mixture, diced onion, eggs, and mix until combined. Using 1/4 cup to scoop, form fritters, and place on a plate. Have another plate ready for cooked fritters. Heat a large skillet (I use one that has grill marks) on medium-high heat with 1-2 tablespoons of coconut oil for frying. Once, the skillet is preheated, cook fritters (I can fit 4-6 at a time in the skillet) for 4-5 mins on each side. I recommend covering while they are cooking to ensure they cook evenly through, I cover using a spatter guard, that allows some steam to escape. You can press down very slightly and gently, after you flip them over, then cook for another 4-5 minutes. They should be golden brown on each side. Reduce heat slightly, if necessary, to prevent burning. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve and enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Pyrex Glass Measuring Cup Set (3-Piece, Microwave and Oven Safe),Clear
- Pyrex Easy Grab Glass Bakeware and Food Storage Set (8-Piece, BPA-free)
- Pyrex Smart Essentials 8-Piece Mixing Bowl Set
- Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls by Finedine (Set of 6) Polished Mirror Finish Nesting Bowl, ¾ - 1.5-3 - 4-5 - 8 Quart - Cooking Supplies
- Homestia Gold Measuring Cups and Spoons Set Stainless Steel 8 PIECE for Dry and Liquid Ingredients Engraved Measurement Heavy Duty Baking & Cooking Utensils
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 106Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 37mgSodium: 129mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 4g
Please note that the Calculated Nutrition is an estimate at best.