Basil Simple Syrup is a herbal, floral, vegetal syrup perfect for mixing in seasonal cocktails, mocktails. This easy recipe only requires basil leaves, hot water, and sugar.
Estimated reading time: 5 minutes
Basil Simple Syrup
Hi Everyone, It’s basil season and during basil season, I am always trying to find ways to use up and appreciate basil. This Basil Simple Syrup uses fresh, seasonal Basil, in a tea and then we mix the tea with sugar to create a sugar syrup that is perfect for using in cocktails, mocktails, lemonades, and other drinks.
You could also use it to pour over pancakes, cakes, shaved ice, ice cream or other desserts. If you are out of maple syrup or honey, why not try this on your pancakes or waffles? I could see this going great with a custard-style dessert.
RELATED: Mint Simple Syrup
RELATED: Lemon Verbena Tea
I think this syrup goes well in cocktails using gin, vodka and tequila. I think it would also go beautifully with citrus and fresh fruit or berry flavors.
I also give instructions in the recipe card at the end of the post on how to make this Basil Simple Syrup from fresh basil tea. So if you are making Basil tea anyways and have 1 cup extra, why not make some Basil Simple Syrup to use for other drinks or desserts later?
RELATED: Citrus Honey Ginger Tea
RELATED: Stuffed Grape Leaves Recipe
This recipe came about when my daughter wanted to make a syrup for her sno cone maker. We wanted to make enough for that purpose, so it’s always good to make extra.
RELATED: Lemon Water With Honey (Hot)
What would you make with this Basil Simple Syrup? Please let us know in the comments below!
RELATED: Maple Syrup Iced Coffee
If you try this Basil Simple Syrup recipe and like it, please give it a rating in the recipe card at the end of the post and let us know in the comments.
Thank you for reading and following along!
RELATED: Basil Pesto
- 1 cup fresh Basil leaves, stems removed
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 cups sugar
Making Basil Simple Syrup from Scratch
- In a heat safe large mason jar, add the basil leaves, pour hot water over the leaves. Allow to steep 10-15 minutes covered (a small plate will do just fine).
- When it's done steeping, strain out the basil leaves and pour into a storage container. Add the sugar and stir until the sugar granules are dissolved. If you are using a mason jar, you can just cover and shake the container.
- Allow to cool to room temperature (about 30 minutes) and then cover with a lid and transfer to the refrigerator.
Making Basil Simple Syrup with Basil Tea
- In a 24 ounce mason jar (that has a lid), add 1 cup hot basil tea, add 1 cup granulated white sugar, cover with lid and shake until the mixture is clear and the sugar is dissolved. Allow to cool to room temperature, cover and then refrigerate.
- Basil to Water to Sugar Ratio: No matter the amount of Basil Simple Syrup you want to make, the ration is always 1:1:1
- Storage: Refrigerate in an airtight container (like a lidded mason jar or swing top bottle) for up to 2 weeks.
- To see our Fresh Basil Flower Tea recipe, visit here
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. #CommissionsEarned #ad
T-Sac Tea Filter Bags, Disposable Tea Infuser, Number 2-Size, 2 to 4-Cup Capacity, Set of 200
Cuisinart CTG-00-3MS Set of 3 Fine Mesh Stainless Steel Strainers
COSORI Electric Gooseneck Kettle with 5 Variable Presets, Pour Over Coffee Kettle & Tea Kettle, 100% Stainless Steel Inner Lid & Bottom, 1200 Watt Quick Heating, 0.8L, Silver
Ball 24 oz Jar, Wide mouth, 24 ounce (Pack of 2),Clear
Long Handle Spoon, MCIRCO Stainless Steel Spoon Set Mixing Spoon Ice Cream Spoon Long Spoon Iced Tea Spoon Coffee Spoon Dessert Spoon Milkshake Spoon,Set of 8(Ice spoon)
Homestia Gold Measuring Cups and Spoons Set Stainless Steel 8 PIECE for Dry and Liquid Ingredients Engraved Measurement Heavy Duty Baking & Cooking Utensils
Pyrex Prepware 2-Cup Glass Measuring Cup
Teapot Kettle with Warmer - Tea Pot and Tea Infuser Set - Glass Tea Maker Infusers Holds 3-4 Cups Loose Leaf Iced Blooming or Flowering Tea Filter- Teapots Kettles Tea Strainer Steeper Tea Pots
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 97Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 2mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 0gSugar: 25gProtein: 0g
Please note that the Calculated Nutrition is an estimate at best.