This homemade Mint Simple Syrup recipe is a fresh, bright, herbal, sweet syrup made easily with freshly brewed mint tea (using fresh mint leaves) and sugar. It’s a wonderful syrup to use in cocktail drinks, mocktails, and various desserts.
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes
Mint Simple Syrup
Hi Everyone, I can not believe that I haven’t shared Mint Simple Syrup on the blog yet.
It’s something that I make often enough (especially, during the warmer Spring-Summer-Fall months) and I recently checked to see if it was on the blog and it wasn’t!
I was recently making a batch to use on snow cones for the kids as a more “natural” and organic syrup recipe to use for the snow cones, instead of store-bought syrups.
My kids had fun picking the mint themselves right from our garden, I made the tea and they watched the whole process.
I like my kids knowing where their food comes from and how it’s made whenever possible, even if it’s a sugar syrup for snow cones!
It’s time that this Mint Simple Syrup recipe gets a place on the blog in the recipe archives, especially since it can be the basis for so many other recipes.
This recipe uses Mint Tea and below is a photo from the mint tea recipe on the site. Fresh Mint Tea is SO easy to make!
Mint grows so well in our garden (mint, is in fact very easy to grow, lol) that I am always thinking of new recipes to use it in.
We grow 3 varieties of mint in our kitchen garden: Mojito Mint, Spearmint, and Peppermint.
There are some other varieties that are on our property as well.
What’s your favorite recipe that uses mint?
Let me know in the comments!
This mint simple syrup is great over ice cream, various dessert recipes, and a wonderful addition to drinking recipes like cocktails, mocktails, lemonade, and the like.
What would you use this Mint Simple Syrup recipe in or with?
Prepping your mint
It is a must to use fresh mint leaves (no stems because it would be too strong) for making this Mint Simple Syrup.
Make sure to wash your fresh mint from the garden thoroughly, I usually rinse with water in a colander and then soak it in a cold water bath for 10-15 minutes before draining it and using a salad spinner to remove excess water as shown in the below photo.
If you make this Mint Simple Syrup recipe and like it, please give it a rating in the recipe card below and let us know in the comments at the end of the post.
Thank you for reading and following along!
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves, stems removed
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 cups sugar
- In a heat safe large mason jar, add the mint leaves, pour hot water over the leaves. Allow to steep 10-15 minutes covered (a small plate will do just fine).
- When it's done steeping, strain out the leaves and pour into a storage container. Add the sugar and stir until the sugar granules are dissolved. If you are using a mason jar, you can just cover and shake the container.
- Allow to cool to room temperature (about 30 minutes) and then cover with a lid and transfer to the refrigerator.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Cuisinart CTG-00-3MS Set of 3 Fine Mesh Stainless Steel Strainers
- T-Sac Tea Filter Bags, Disposable Tea Infuser, Number 2-Size, 2 to 4-Cup Capacity, Set of 200
- Teapot Kettle with Warmer - Tea Pot and Tea Infuser Set - Glass Tea Maker Infusers Holds 3-4 Cups Loose Leaf Iced Blooming or Flowering Tea Filter- Teapots Kettles Tea Strainer Steeper Tea Pots
- Homestia Gold Measuring Cups and Spoons Set Stainless Steel 8 PIECE for Dry and Liquid Ingredients Engraved Measurement Heavy Duty Baking & Cooking Utensils
- COSORI Electric Gooseneck Kettle with 5 Variable Presets, Pour Over Coffee Kettle & Tea Kettle, 100% Stainless Steel Inner Lid & Bottom, 1200 Watt Quick Heating, 0.8L, Silver
- Long Handle Spoon, MCIRCO Stainless Steel Spoon Set Mixing Spoon Ice Cream Spoon Long Spoon Iced Tea Spoon Coffee Spoon Dessert Spoon Milkshake Spoon,Set of 8(Ice spoon)
- Ball 24 oz Jar, Wide mouth, 24 ounce (Pack of 2),Clear
- Pyrex Prepware 2-Cup Glass Measuring Cup
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 98Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 2mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 0gSugar: 25gProtein: 0g
Please note that the Calculated Nutrition is an estimate at best.