Carrot Ribbon Salad is easy to make with your vegetable peeler. It has a simple, bright, lemon vinaigrette dressing. Enjoy this simple appetizer or side with your lunch or dinner meal.
Carrot Ribbon Salad
Hi Everyone, this is a simple salad or vegetable side to make with 1 ingredient: Carrots! And of course, a Lemon Vinaigrette Dressing recipe that I give in the recipe card at the end of the post or you can use your favorite dressing!
I shot this recipe back on 5.23.2019, that was a while ago, but this simple kind of recipe ever goes out of style. Often, at the end of a week, before we do our regular grocery shopping trip, we will still have a bag of carrots in the produce drawer of the refrigerator. When life gives you lemons…
I do suggest using a vinegar-based dressing for this Carrot Ribbon Salad though because it helps to “soften” the carrot ribbons.
They will still be crunchy, but the dressing makes them more tender and “noodle-like.”
Make sure to use firm carrots that are not soft.
You can also add onions and celery but I want to keep it simple and easy here.
The carrot ribbons make a nice texture and just a different way to experience eating carrots.
In our household, we LOVE carrots, they are so good for you and we are always thinking of ways to get them into our meals.
RELATED: Easy Braised Baby Carrots
I love this recipe because you can dress it up by adding more ingredients depending on what you have or keep it simple and just have the carrot ribbons and the Lemon Vinaigrette dressing.
This is a recipe that my husband started making (he’s the main carrot lover in the family) and I just incorporated it into one of the dishes we make. I almost don’t think of it as a “dish” really because it’s so simple.
It’s a recipe that can be made in any season since carrots store well over the Winter and are available throughout the year. You can have it when greens are not readily available but you still crave something very fresh tasting and light.
If you try this Carrot Ribbon Salad recipe, and like it, please give it a rating in the recipe card and let us know in the comments at the end of the post. Thank you for reading and following along!
- 2-4 medium carrots *You can make more, if you are serving more people
Lemon Vinaigrette Salad Dressing
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar (or other light vinegar)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- lemon zest, optional to make it more "zesty"
- pinch Kosher salt, amount to taste
- 1/4 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper, amount to taste
- Kosher salt and pepper, amount to taste, optional
- lemon wedges for serving, optional
- To Make the Carrot Ribbons: Wash and dry the carrots. Cut the ends and peel the skins off. Using the vegetable peeler, continue to peel the carrot into ribbons. Repeat with each carrot.
- To Make the Lemon Vinaigrette Salad Dressing: In a salad dressing shaker or lidded mason jar, mix the salad ingredients together or shake them together. Taste and adjust flavors to your liking.
- To Assemble the Carrot Ribbon Salad: If making the salad to eat right away, you can mix a desired amount of dressing in with the ribbons, allow it to sit for 5 minutes for the carrots to soften (like massaged kale salad) and serve. If making to serve later, keep the dressing and carrot ribbons separate, cover and refrigerate the carrot ribbons until you are ready to prepare to serve. Optionally, you can serve with extra lemon wedges. Enjoy!
- optionally, you can add thinly shaved sweet or yellow onion and/or shaved celery or diced celery to this recipe.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- OXO 1137680 Good Grips 3-Piece Peeler Set, 10-inch, Green/Orange/Red
- OXO Good Grips Little Salad Dressing Shaker, Black
- DOWAN (2 Packs) 2-1/2 Quart Porcelain Serving Bowls - Salad/Pasta Bowl Set, White, Stackable
- Aidea Acacia Wooden Salad Bowl - 12.5 Inch Hardwood with Servers Set Big Salad Bowl 3-Piece Set
- Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls by Finedine (Set of 6) Polished Mirror Finish Nesting Bowl, ¾ - 1.5-3 - 4-5 - 8 Quart - Cooking Supplies
- OXO Good Grips Lewis Pepper Mill
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 48Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 173mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 0g
Please note that the Calculated Nutrition is an estimate at best.