Estimated reading time: 5 minutes
This Massaged Baby Red Russian Kale Salad recipe is easy and made with kale, olive oil, Kosher salt, optional lemon juice or apple cider vinegar, and fresh ground black pepper.
Table of contents
Massaged Baby Red Russian Kale Salad
Hi Everyone, have you tried Baby Red Russian Kale?
We got it in our last organic CSA share box (from Roots to River farm) and I feel like the best way to celebrate it is as a massaged kale salad.
This could easily be combined or topped with other ingredients; in this case, the quality of the greens is so high that I feel like they shine well on their own.
Red Russian Kale has curly leaves and purple stems – it’s a beautiful variety of kale!
The neat thing about “Baby” Red Russian Kale, is that you don’t have to remove the stems to make the salad, they should be tender enough to include them.
If they are tough, then just remove them.
DID YOU SEE MY LAST POST ON OUR LAST SHARE BOX?
If not, you can catch it here, Organic CSA Share Box Week 9, and our previous weeks:
- Organic CSA Box Week 1
- Organic CSA Share Box Week 2
- Organic CSA Share Box Week 3
- Organic CSA Share Box Week 4
- Organic CSA Share Box Week 5
- Organic CSA Share Box Week 6
- Organic CSA Share Box Week 7
- Organic CSA Share Box Week 8
What is your favorite way to make Kale? Please let us know in the comments at the end of the post!
What is Baby Red Russian Kale?
According to Specialtyproduce.com:
Baby Red Russian kale is a subspecies of Brassica oleracea, a cousin to other decorative cabbages and kales.
It is a cool weather vegetable that produces more vibrantly colored leaves as the temperature drops.
Baby Red Russian kale is an heirloom variety that is grown as a biennial in most climates.
When is Baby Red Russian Kale in season?
- 8 ounces Baby Red Russian Kale
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- a squeeze of lemon juice or 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar, amount to taste, depending on how much of a “zing” you want
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh black ground pepper
- olive oil container
- mixing bowl
- 2-cup wet measure
- measuring spoons and cups
- salad spinner
- salad bowl and utensils, for serving
- salad forks and plates, for serving
Recipes on the Blog Popular Now
- Dreamy Lemon Lush Dessert Recipe
- Epic Slow Cooker Hot Chocolate
- [AD] Dairy-Free Chocolate Cupcakes
- [AD] Peanut Butter and Jelly Strawberry Banana Bread
- Cherry Clafoutis Recipe
- Sesame Chicken
- Lavender Rose Shortbread Recipe
- Sautéed Garlic Asparagus
- Corned Beef and Cabbage
- Crème Brûlée
- Matcha Green Tea Latte
If you make this Massaged Baby Red Russian Kale Salad recipe, and like it please give it a rating in the recipe card below and let us know at the end of the post.
Thank you for reading and following along!
- Dragon Fruit Simple Syrup
- Dragon Fruit Angel Food Cake
- How to Store Boba
- Crème de Menthe Coffee
- Honeysuckle Simple Syrup
This post was originally published on 10/13/2020 and updated and republished on 7/14/2021.
- In a large mixing bowl, add kale, olive oil, lemon juice or olive oil (optional) kosher salt and pepper.
- Toss the salad to combine, serve and enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. #CommissionsEarned #ad
OXO Good Grips Lewis Pepper Mill
OXO Good Grips 12-Inch Tongs With Nylon Heads
OXO 1063494 Good Grips Turner, Spatula, and Tongs Set - Safe for Nonstick Cookware,3 Piece
Homestia Gold Measuring Cups and Spoons Set Stainless Steel 8 PIECE for Dry and Liquid Ingredients Engraved Measurement Heavy Duty Baking & Cooking Utensils
Pyrex Prepware 2-Cup Glass Measuring Cup
MUELLER Large 5L Salad Spinner Vegetable Washer with Bowl, Anti-Wobble Tech, Lockable Colander Basket and Smart Lock Lid - Lettuce Washer and Dryer - Easy Water Drain System and Compact Storage
OXO Good Grips Little Salad Dressing Shaker, Black
DOWAN (2 Packs) 2-1/2 Quart Porcelain Serving Bowls - Salad/Pasta Bowl Set, White, Stackable
Aidea Acacia Wooden Salad Bowl - 12.5 Inch Hardwood with Servers Set Big Salad Bowl 3-Piece Set
Delling 8 in Ultralight Ceramic Dessert/Appetizer Plates, Rectangular Salad Plates for Fruit, Cheese, Dessert, Lunch and More - Set of 6, White
OXO Good Grips Salad Spinner, Large
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 96Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 292mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 3gSugar: 2gProtein: 2g
Please note that the Calculated Nutrition is an estimate at best.