This Homemade Marshmallows Recipe is vanilla-infused, light, fluffy, sweet and so delicious. They go great in s’mores, hot chocolate, or just on their own as a sweet treat.
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes
Hi Everyone, this Homemade Marshmallows recipe is so simple to make and they are delicious.
You can make your own gourmet homemade marshmallows right in your kitchen.
I made these with my then 5 1/2-year-old daughters and we had a lot of fun making them.
I thought about all the different flavors of marshmallows that you could make after.
I would love to make fruit-flavored ones, Matcha green tea, mocha, chocolate, and more!
I have made these during assisting cooking classes at the Farm Cooking School, probably about a year ago for a holiday class but really they could be made year-round, whenever you are craving homemade marshmallows.
- Chia Seed Banana Bread
- Cocoa Almonds
- Andes Mint Cookies
- Maraschino Cherry Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Christmas M&M Cookies
If you try this Homemade Marshmallows Recipe and like it, please give it a rating in the recipe card below and let us know in the comments at the end of the post.
Thank you for reading and following along!
- 1 tablespoon Canola oil, to brush the pan
- 1 cup confectioner's sugar, or amount needed for coating pan and dusting the marshmallows
- 3 (1/4 ounce each) unflavored gelatin envelopes
- 1 1/2 cups granulated white sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup (I use Karo)
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1-2 teaspoon(s) pure vanilla extract
- Prepare the Pan: Brush the 9 x 9 inch square pan with Canola oil. Using a fine mesh strainer, dust the pan with confectioner's sugar and tap out the excess. Set aside.
- Prepare the Gelatin: In a stand mixer (fitted with a whisk attachment), add 1/2 cup of water to the stand mixer bowl, sprinkle in the gelatin, over the water so that the gelatin has contact with the water - stir just a little bit. Allow the mixture to sit while you make the sugar syrup.
- Prepare the Sugar Syrup: In a medium-large, heavy-bottomed saucepan (3-4 quarts) or pot, add granulated white sugar, corn syrup, kosher salt, and 1/2 cup of water. Place the candy thermometer on the side. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat. Make sure to stay and watch the mixture because it may boil up and you might need to turn the heat down. Boil until the mixture becomes 240 degrees F (soft-ball stage). Once it gets to that temperature, remove the pan from heat and turn off the stove top and allow to stand until the bubbles die down.
- Add the Sugar Syrup to the Gelatin Mixture: Set the stand mixture with the gelatin mixture on low speed, carefully pour the sugar syrup, gradually, down the side into the gelatin mixture, slowly increase the speed up to high (about 5 minutes). The marshmallow mixture should form a thick ribbon when you lift up the whisk. Add the vanilla.
- Allow the Marshmallow to Set: Add the marshmallow mixture (it's going to be super sticky) into the prepared 9 x 9 inch pan. Allow the marshmallow to stand at room temperature for 4 hours or overnight or until the top is no longer sticky and you should be able to pull the marshmallow away from the sides.
- Cut the Marshmallows: When the marshmallow is set, dust a cutting board with confectioner's sugar, you can use a baking (rubber) spatula to separate the marshmallow from the sides of the pan, gently separate the marshmallow from all sides of the pan. Turn the pan over on the prepared surface. Dust all the surfaces of the marshmallow with confectioner's sugar. Wipe Canola oil on a chef's knife (to prevent sticking) and slice the marshmallow. When the marshmallow is sliced, dust all surfaces of the sliced marshmallows with confectioner's sugar (this will prevent them from sticking to each other).
- Recipe Yield: You can cut these into 16 large marshmallows or 64 smaller marshmallows.
- To Store the Marshmallows: Store in an air-tight container, in a dry place at room temperature. If you have to layer them, you can use wax or parchment paper to prevent sticking. If they get sticky again, then you can always dust them with more confectioner's sugar. If it's hot out, you can store them in the refrigerator. Store up to 1 month.
- Optional Recipe Variations:
- Color: You can add food coloring to the marshmallows, you would add the food coloring after adding the vanilla extract.
- Flavor: You can substitute another extract instead of the vanilla in the same amount.
- Shapes: You can use cookie cutters to cut out different shapes of marshmallows.
- For Chocolate-Dipped Marshmallows: Melt 8 ounces of your choice sweetened chocolate, in a double boiler (or the microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring in between until melted), dip each marshmallow, one at a time, into the chocolate and allow to dry on a baking sheet lined with wax/parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Chocolate-Dipped Marshmallows can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. #CommissionsEarned #ad
Victorinox Fibrox Pro Chef's Knife, 8-Inch Chef's FFP
Gorilla Grip Original Reversible Cutting Board (3-Piece) BPA Free, Dishwasher Safe, Juice Grooves, Larger Thicker Boards, Easy Grip Handle, Non Porous, Extra Large, Kitchen (Set of Three: Black)
Non-slip Silicone Pastry Mat Extra Large with Measurements 28''By 20'' for Silicone Baking Mat, Counter Mat, Dough Rolling Mat,Oven Liner,Fondant/Pie Crust Mat By Folksy Super Kitchen (2028, red)
AmazonBasics Silicone Baking Mat Sheet, Set of 2
If You Care FSC Certified Parchment Baking Paper, 70 sq ft (Pack of 2)
Silpat AE420295-07 Premium Non-Stick Silicone Baking Mat, Half Sheet Size, 11-5/8-Inch x 16-1/2-Inch (2 pack)
GoodCook Classic Candy / Deep Fry Thermometer, red
Cuisinart CTG-00-3MS Set of 3 Fine Mesh Stainless Steel Strainers
Homestia Gold Measuring Cups and Spoons Set Stainless Steel 8 PIECE for Dry and Liquid Ingredients Engraved Measurement Heavy Duty Baking & Cooking Utensils
Pyrex Prepware 2-Cup Measuring Cup, Red Graphics, Clear
KitchenAid KSM150PSER Artisan Tilt-Head Stand Mixer with Pouring Shield, 5-Quart, Empire Red
AmazonBasics Stainless Steel Wire Whisk Set - 3-Piece
All-Clad BD552043 D5 Brushed 18/10 Stainless Steel 5-Ply Bonded Dishwasher Safe Soup Pot with Lid Cookware, 4-Quart, Silver
Pyrex Grab Glass Bakeware and Food Storage Set, 8-Piece, Clear
Wilton Easy Flex Silicone Spatula Set, Your Go-To Tools for Mixing, Folding, Scraping, Cooking and Serving., Blue, 3-Piece
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 172Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 48mgCarbohydrates: 42gFiber: 0gSugar: 42gProtein: 0g
Please note that the Calculated Nutrition is an estimate at best.