This Easy Cherry Pie with Puff Pastry Crust comes together in 50 minutes with ready-made ingredients and has a touch of uniqueness with a light and crisp puff pastry crust. Enjoy a delicious slice topped with ice cream, whipped cream, and fresh cherries! Check out all 9 #FoodieMamas Cherry Recipes in the roundup below!
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes
Table of contents
Easy Cherry Pie with Puff Pastry Crust
Hi Everyone, this Easy Cherry Pie with Puff Pastry Crust went over well at a recent family dinner.
A cherry pie is not something you see or make every day (at least I don’t at this point in my life now!) but just feels like a special and classic dessert that a grandmother would make or perhaps you might see at a roadside diner that has been there forever.
I just want to let you know, it is entirely possible to get a homemade pie that looks like you have been baking all day – come together in 50 mins – that is after you defrost the puff pastry of course which takes no longer than 30-40 mins.
So why make a pie like this, instead of just getting a pie from the frozen aisle of the grocery store?
I’ll tell you why: You can customize it exactly how you want it, make homemade touches with the crust if you want, cutouts, you name it!
Not to mention, you can say it’s homemade because you did put it together, with tons of love, of course – get where I’m going? 🙂
If you prefer to have some of the ingredients made from scratch, I link to recipes here on Life’s Little Sweets within the recipe card below.
It’s always good to have options!
This Easy Cherry Pie with Puff Pastry Crust goes amazing with coffee or tea!
I love puff pastry and have been interested in incorporating it into my desserts.
I used the baking time of 40-45 mins on the “Classic Cherry Pie” recipe on the back of the Ducan Hines Comstock cherry pie filling can.
I took inspiration from Food Network Magazine’s May 2016 issue that featured different ways to use puff pastry but not anyone recipe in particular.
#FoodieMamas Recipe Roundup
It’s time to check out all the amazing recipes from all the #FoodieMamas.
This is my 8th #FoodieMamas recipe round-up post and each month, one “FoodieMama” chooses a different ingredient.
This month Emily from The Best of this Life chose cherries; she has the delicious Gluten-Free Cherry Crumble Pie below.
We have 8 recipes in the roundup below, in addition to my Easy Cherry Pie with Puff Pastry Crust recipe, which makes 9.
This month is full of sweet cherry deliciousness!
Gluten-Free Cherry Crumble Pie – Emily Smith | The Best of this Life – Can you imagine this yummy Gluten-Free Cherry Crumble Pie with your breakfast coffee, I sure can!
Cherry Crumb Cake – Kaitie Lawlor | Fuchsia Freezer – This would be perfect to bring to a brunch or potluck!
Cherry Cheesecake Popsicles – Chrissie Baker – The Busy Baker – These Cherry Cheesecake Popsicles look so impressive, what a great treat as we head into Summer!
Cherry Ice Slush – Deepika Haldankar | Easy Baby Meals – This Cherry Ice Slush looks so refreshing and delicious!
Black Forest Chocolate Cherry Smoothie – Lucy Baker Brandes |Turnip the Oven – There are some amazing flavors happening here in this yummy Black Forest Chocolate Cherry Smoothie.
Cherry Almond Moroccan Inspired Couscous – Ali Randall | Home & Plate – Bring cherries into your lunch, brunch, or dinner with this fresh and tasty couscous recipe!
Cherry Vanilla Skillet Baked Oatmeal – Trish Bozeman | Rhubarbarians – I love a good recipe in a skillet and this Cherry Vanilla Skillet Baked Oatmeal looks so impressive and easy to make 🙂
Cherry Thyme Puff Pastry Hand Pies – Manju Mahadevan | Cooking Curries – You know I am a fan of puff pastry by now and these Cherry Thyme Puff Pastry Hand Pies are so cute and oh my gosh, I want one!
Thank you for reading this post, I hope you found some delicious recipes and new ideas to try out with cherries!
Do you love cherries? What are your favorite Cherry recipes? Please let me know in the comments below!
- Scalloped Potatoes
- Jiffy Cornbread Johnny Cake
- Green Bean Casserole
- Thanksgiving Menu 2022
- How to Plan Thanksgiving Dinner
- 1 (9 inch) frozen deep dish pie crust (I used Pillsbury's with success), if you want to make your own crust from scratch, you can use my crust recipe
- 2 (21 ounce/595 grams) cans of cherry pie filling (I used Duncan Hines Comstock Country Cherry)
- 1 puff pastry sheet, (I used Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry sheets, they come in packs of 2)
- Optional Toppings:
- 1 tablespoon (or more if desired) Confectioner's sugar for dusting
- Whipped cream, (I used Original Reddi Wip canned whipped cream but you can also use my Vanilla Whipped Cream recipe)
- Vanilla ice cream, , if you wan to make ice cream from scratch, you can use my no-churn ice cream recipe and modify the ingredients to your liking
- Fresh Cherries for garnish
- Defrost 1 sheet of puff pastry, this can take 30-40 mins, later, when it's done defrosting, unfold the pastry sheet carefully.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- Place 1, 9-inch deep-dish pie crust on a baking sheet, preferably with turned-up sides in case the filling bubbles over during baking.
- Fill the pie shell with 2 cans of cherry pie filling. TIP: If you want to add cutouts to the puff pastry, do them before placing them over the cherry pie.
- Place the defrosted puff pastry over the filled pie and fold over the edges.
- Using kitchen scissors or a knife, cut excess corners off the puff pastry.
- If you didn't do cut-outs, cut slits in the top (as shown in my pie).
- Bake for 40-45 mins in your preheated oven.
- Please note 15 mins before the pie is done, you will want to add an aluminum foil tent because the puff pastry is more delicate than regular pie dough and can burn at this baking temperature. I let it brown a little on the edges for added crispiness because that's the way I like it but you will want to keep an eye on it towards the end.
- When it is done, take it out of the oven and allow it to cool completely. Serve topped with a dusting of confectioner's sugar, vanilla ice cream, whipped cream, and fresh cherries!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. #CommissionsEarned #ad
OXO Good Grips Cherry and Olive Pitter, Red
Non-slip Silicone Pastry Mat Extra Large with Measurements 28''By 20'' for Silicone Baking Mat, Counter Mat, Dough Rolling Mat,Oven Liner,Fondant/Pie Crust Mat By Folksy Super Kitchen (2028, red)
5x Pizza Pie Server Cake Holder Transfer Triangular Spade Spatula for Cake Baking Wood Wooden Handle Shovel Stainless Steel
Pyrex Easy Grab Glass Pie Plate (9.5-Inch, 2-Pack)
Pyrex Glass Measuring Cup Set (3-Piece, Microwave and Oven Safe),Clear
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 269Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 22mgSodium: 150mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 1gSugar: 11gProtein: 4g
Please note that the Calculated Nutrition is an estimate at best.