Grinch Sugar Cookies are classic sugar cookies, tinted green with a red candy heart in the middle. Enjoy with or without coconut flakes. These delicious cookies are inspired by the beloved Dr. Seuss children’s book and movie, The Grinch. Enjoy these easy, fun, homemade, cookies during the holidays or throughout the year!
Estimated reading time: 4 minutes
Table of contents
Grinch Sugar Cookies
Hi Everyone, this past holiday season, I saw the most recent Grinch movie with my kids in the theater and after the movie, to extend the experience, we made some Grinch Sugar Cookies.
My daughter loved making these together after seeing the movie.
These cookies are based on a classic sugar cookie recipe that I have shared on the blog before.
They just have a little tweak with some green food coloring and a candy heart and presto!
They are now Grinch cookies!
Ingredients for Grinch Sugar Cookies
- 1/2 cup butter, (1 stick) softened to room temperature
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2-3/4 cups flour
- green gel food coloring
- red candy heart (sprinkles)
I made sure to link to my favorite cookie-making kitchen tools in the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
- measuring spoons and cups
- baking spatula(s)
- mixing bowl(s)
- wet measure
- rimmed baking sheet
- silicone baking mat or parchment paper
- cookie scoop to get perfect-size cookies
You can choose to roll some or all of them in coconut flakes or not, depending on your preference.
If you make these Grinch Sugar Cookies and like the recipe, please give a recipe rating and leave a comment below, thank you for reading and following along!
- Scalloped Potatoes
- Jiffy Cornbread Johnny Cake
- Green Bean Casserole
- Thanksgiving Menu 2022
- How to Plan Thanksgiving Dinner
Our Other Recipes
- Cocoa Almonds
- Cookie Recipe Collection
- Easter Saltine Toffee
- Lavender Simple Syrup
- Simple Syrup
- Homemade Carrot Ginger Soup
- Single-Layer Chocolate Cake with Edible Flowers
- Sugared Cranberries
- Curry Zucchini
- Easy Funfetti Sugar Cookies
- Edible Cookie Dough
- Bunny Butt Cupcakes Recipe
- Flower Ice Cubes
- Oatmeal Recipes Collection
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter for 30 seconds at high speed. Stream in the sugar and beat until creamed. Beat in eggs, cream of tartar, baking soda, vanilla extract, desired amount of green gel food coloring, and salt until combined. Beat in flour until combined.
- Using a medium-sized cookie dough scoop, place 12 dough balls per sheet with even spacing.
- Optionally, you can roll some or all of the dough balls in coconut flakes.
- Add 1 candy heart sprinkle to the center of each cookie.
- Bake 10-12 minutes, until barely lightly browned. Let cool 1-2 minutes, then transfer to wire rack and let cool.
This recipe is based on Lil’ Sugar Cookies
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. #CommissionsEarned #ad
Silpat AE420295-07 Premium Non-Stick Silicone Baking Mat, Half Sheet Size, 11-5/8-Inch x 16-1/2-Inch (2 pack)
Ultra Cuisine 100% Stainless Steel Wire Cooling Rack for Baking fits Half Sheet Pans Cool Cookies, Cakes, Breads - Oven Safe for Cooking, Roasting, Grilling - Heavy Duty Commercial Quality
Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls by Finedine (Set of 6) Polished Mirror Finish Nesting Bowl, ¾ - 1.5-3 - 4-5 - 8 Quart - Cooking Supplies
Cuisinart HM-90S Power Advantage Plus 9-Speed Handheld Mixer with Storage Case, White
Nutrition Information:Yield: 36 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 110Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 75mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 1gSugar: 9gProtein: 2g
Please note that the Calculated Nutrition is an estimate at best.
(I photographed these cookies back in November/December of 2018, first published on 3/18/2019 and updated and republished 12/17/2021)