Estimated reading time: 5 minutes
This Egg In a Hole Bagel recipe is an easy, savory breakfast or brunch idea. A simple egg in the middle of a bagel, fried on the stovetop in a cast-iron skillet.
Egg In a Hole Bagel
Hi Everyone, are you looking for a super, simple breakfast or brunch idea?
Try this Egg In a Hole Bagel!
It is often one of my easy, go-to breakfast recipes with only 2 required ingredients (the egg and the bagel:).
I love making it with a runny yolk but you could make it more cooked, depending on your preferences.
This is such a satisfying, yet simple breakfast to enjoy.
If you can get farm-fresh eggs to enjoy with this recipe, all the better!
I use a cookie cutter to cut out the middle of the bagel to allow the egg to sit completely in the center.
- 1 large egg
- 1 bagel, sliced in half, use a cookie cutter to make the middle of the hold larger to accommodate an egg
- unsalted butter or vegan butter substitute (like Earth Balance)
- Kosher salt, amount to taste
- Fresh ground pepper, amount to taste
- grated cheese of your choice, optional
- cast iron skillet
- cookie cutter
- plate, for serving
- chef’s knife
- cutting board
- Sourdough Graham Crackers
- Shortbread Cookie Recipes
- Maple Shortbread Cookies
- Honey Shortbread
- Sourdough Pancakes
If you make this Egg in a Hole Bagel recipe and like it, please give it a rating in the recipe card below and let us know in the comments below.
Thank you for reading and following along!
This post was originally published on 4/5/2020 and updated and republished on 9/10/2021.
- In a large cast-iron skillet on the stovetop over low-medium heat, melt butter, when the butter is melted add the bagel half (You can toast the other half in the skillet as well or add a 2nd egg in the 2nd half)
- Crack an egg into the center of the bagel hole, cook it until cooked to your desired preference. Season with salt and pepper, amount to taste. Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. #CommissionsEarned #ad
OXO Good Grips 15-Piece Everyday Kitchen Utensil Set
Gorilla Grip Original Reversible Cutting Board (3-Piece) BPA Free, Dishwasher Safe, Juice Grooves, Larger Thicker Boards, Easy Grip Handle, Non Porous, Extra Large, Kitchen (Set of Three: Black)
Victorinox Fibrox Pro Chef's Knife, 8-Inch Chef's FFP
Calphalon 5-Piece Nylon Kitchen Cooking Utensil Set
Lodge 12 Inch Cast Iron Skillet. Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Skillet with Red Silicone Hot Handle Holder.
13 Pieces Stainless Steel Christmas Cookie Cutters with Comfort Grip 3.5í plus a Rolling Pin for Large Holiday Cookies, Snowflake Cookies, Gingerbread Man Cookies, Christmas Party and Baking Gift
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 818Total Fat: 47gSaturated Fat: 25gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 461mgSodium: 1491mgCarbohydrates: 68gFiber: 3gSugar: 14gProtein: 31g
Please note that the Calculated Nutrition is an estimate at best.