This Roasted Radishes recipe has the healthy, spicy, root vegetable Purple daikon radishes, regular olive oil, Kosher salt, pepper and cumin. You can keep it simple or season them with your favorite seasonings. This recipe is vegan and gluten-free. Full video recipe tutorial included with step-by-step photos.
Hi Everyone, when I got these Purple Daikon Radishes from my organic CSA share box, I knew I had to have them roasted. Anytime you have a bunch of radishes or need to use up radishes, roasting them is always a great way to cook them!
This would be a healthy, seasonal Thanksgiving or Holiday side dish to offer at your table.
If you have a picky eater that doesn’t like fresh radishes, having them roasted is good to try because this process takes the edge off that peppery taste.
Why do I choose to use cumin in this recipe?
It’s totally optional, you can make this Roasted Radishes recipe with just olive oil, Kosher salt and black pepper.
I choose cumin because it’s a warm spice, great for the Fall/Autumn season, but doesn’t compete with the natural, peppery flavor of the Daikon radish, it actually compliments it.
You can customize this Roasted Radishes recipe with any of your favorite spices. I think thyme leaves would be a great compliment as well to try.
If you try a different spice with this recipe, let me know in the comments at the end of the post, I would love to hear what you try!
Daikons are larger radishes, almost or about the size of a regular potato, so cutting them up and roasting them is a perfect way to utilize them.
Using Radishes for Meal Prep
Roasting radishes is a great way to meal prep them because you can do a lot on multiple rimmed baking sheets and then use them on salads, wraps/sandwiches and as a side with meals throughout the week.
RELATED: Organic CSA Share Box Week 9
What does cooked radish taste like?
A fresh radish is crisp, sharp and peppery. They are great in salads, charcuterie boards and crudité.
Roasting brings out the delicious flavor and has a tasty texture in any radish or root vegetable, for that matter. The vegetable becomes soft inside and the flavor becomes less sharp and more palatable.
What is a Purple daikon radish?
According to Specialtyproduce.com:
Purple daikon radish has a typical root shape that is globular and tapers to a point. This variety of daikon can be recognized by its bi-coloring that is a violet purple on its exterior and a bright white to pale violet on its interior.
Do you need to Peel a Purple Daikon Radish?
You do not need to peel Purple Daikon radishes, I did not peel them for this recipe.
You can peel the Purple Daikon Radishes, if you want.
How do you cook radishes in the oven?
I outline how to roast radishes in the oven in the recipe card below (at the end of the post) with step-by-step photos and directions.
Here are some step-by-step photos of how to make roasted radishes:
Organic CSA Share Boxes
You can check out some of the seasonal, local, organic, vegetables that we get in our Organic CSA Share Box post series for some veggie inspiration:
- Organic CSA Box Week 1
- Organic CSA Share Box Week 2
- Organic CSA Share Box Week 3
- Organic CSA Share Box Week 4
- Organic CSA Share Box Week 5
- Organic CSA Share Box Week 6
- Organic CSA Share Box Week 7
- Organic CSA Share Box Week 8
If you make this Roasted Radishes recipe and like it, please rate the recipe in the recipe card below and let us know in the comments at the end of the post.
Thank you for reading and following along! I encourage you to check out our other recipes on our recipe search page.
RELATED: Butter Salt Thyme Honey Radishes
- 1 1/2 pounds (1 bunch) Purple Daikon Radishes, clean, tops and tails cut, cut into 3/4 inch pieces
- 1-2 tablespoons regular olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt, or amount to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, or amount to taste, plus more for serving
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper. Prepare the Purple Daikon Radishes and add them to a medium-large mixing bowl.
- Add the olive oil, Kosher salt, fresh ground black pepper and cumin to the prepared radishes. Stir to combine.
- Lay the seasoned radish pieces on the prepared baking sheet; arrange them so that they are not touching.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden or desired crispness is reached. Serve and enjoy!
- You can also use regular red radishes, French radishes, watermelon radishes or another variety available.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Calphalon 5-Piece Nylon Kitchen Cooking Utensil Set
- Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls by Finedine (Set of 6) Polished Mirror Finish Nesting Bowl, ¾ - 1.5-3 - 4-5 - 8 Quart - Cooking Supplies
- Pyrex Smart Essentials 8-Piece Mixing Bowl Set
- If You Care FSC Certified Parchment Baking Paper, 70 sq ft (Pack of 2)
- Nordic Ware Natural Aluminum Commercial Baker's Half Sheet (2 Pack), Silver
- AmazonBasics Silicone Baking Mat Sheet, Set of 2
- Silpat AE420295-07 Premium Non-Stick Silicone Baking Mat, Half Sheet Size, 11-5/8-Inch x 16-1/2-Inch (2 pack)
- Homestia Gold Measuring Cups and Spoons Set Stainless Steel 8 PIECE for Dry and Liquid Ingredients Engraved Meaurement Heavy Duty Baking & Cooking Utensils
- Maldon Sea Salt Flakes 1.5kg/3.3lbs Tub
- Totally Bamboo Salt Box, Bamboo Storage Box with Magnetic Swivel Lid, "Salt" Engraved on Lid
- Morton Salt Kosher Salt, 3 lbs, Pack of 2
- Aozita 17oz Glass Olive Oil Bottle - 500ml Dark Brown Oil & Vinegar Cruet with Pourers and Funnel - Olive Oil Carafe Decanter for Kitchen
- HÖLM 3-Piece Stainless Steel Mesh Micro-Perforated Strainer Colander Set (1-Quart, 2.5-Quart and 4.5-Quart)
- Gorilla Grip Original Reversible Cutting Board (3-Piece) BPA Free, Dishwasher Safe, Juice Grooves, Larger Thicker Boards, Easy Grip Handle, Non Porous, Extra Large, Kitchen (Set of Three: Black)
- Victorinox Fibrox Pro Chef's Knife, 8-Inch Chef's FFP
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 83Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 282mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 1g
Please note that the Calculated Nutrition is an estimate at best.