Gluten-Free Mocha Cake: This single-layer, gluten-free mocha cake is sure to please chocolate and coffee lovers alike. This cake is also made using one bowl which makes for easy clean up.
Update: Video added 1/14/2019; 3/30/2018 I updated the photos in this recipe, the original posting date was 3/12/2015 and this was my first recipe on this blog.
Disclosure: This post contains some affiliate links which means I earn a commission when you utilize them. I only recommend brands and products that I like and enjoy using. Some links are just for educational purposes and sharing pages that I have found helpful.
The original recipe that inspired my version is called “One-Bowl Chocolate Cake” p.168 of the Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book. Please note: I follow 1/3 cup of cooking oil in the book version versus the online version where it calls for 1/4 cup of cooking oil. For the frosting, my version is inspired by “Ganache” recipe, p. 186 in the same chapter.
Ingredient brands that I used
- Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour
- Morton Kosher Salt
- Kate’s Creamery Real Buttermilk
- Starbucks Via Italian Roast
- Frontier Co-op Organic Vanilla Extract
- Spice Islands Ground Cinnamon
- Wilton, 8-inch Doilies
These are the exact food grade edible roses I used from BMaker:
I know you will love this Gluten-Free Mocha Cake!
- 1 cup Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, I use Morton Kosher Salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk, I use Kate's Creamery Real Buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon espresso powder
- 1/3 cup Canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla, I use Frontier Co-op Organic Vanilla Extract
- 1 egg
Mocha Ganache Frosting
- 6 ounces semi sweet chocolate chip morsels, I recommend using the best quality available, you can also use dark chocolate
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, you can also use whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons butter, optional
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, I use Spice Islands Ground Cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 cup food grade edible dried roses, optional, for decoration, amount to taste
- broken dark chocolate pieces, I used Lindt, 70% chocolate, optional, amount to taste
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9 x 2 inch cake pan.
- Using a large mixing bowl, stir together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt, making sure the dry ingredients are well blended. Dissolve the espresso powder into the buttermilk. Add the espresso - buttermilk mixture, oil and vanilla. Beat until just combined. Add the egg and beat for a couple of minutes more, then spread batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. **While the cake is in the oven, I do the mocha ganache frosting.** Cool the cake in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then remove the cake from the pan. Cool the cake thoroughly on the wire rack. Spread mocha ganache over the top of the cake (there should be enough for the sides too, if you wish, though in my version I did not). Cool in refrigerator for 20-30 mins to harden the ganache so it will not stick to the doily.
- Mix 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon with 1 tablespoon sugar. Place 8 inch doily over top of cake. Using a tea strainer or sifter, sift mixture over the doily cut outs. Remove doily
- Sprinkle with edible roses. Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Greaseproof Doilies-8" Round White 16/Pkg
bMAKER Dried Rose Buds& Petals Red 1 Lb Food Grade Edible | Best for Tea, Baking, Making Rose Water, Crafting | Included Sample Bottle of Rose Absolute Essential Oil
Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls by Finedine (Set of 6) Polished Mirror Finish Nesting Bowl, ¾ - 1.5-3 - 4-5 - 8 Quart - Cooking Supplies
Homestia Gold Measuring Cups and Spoons Set Stainless Steel 8 PIECE for Dry and Liquid Ingredients Engraved Meaurement Heavy Duty Baking & Cooking Utensils
Wilton Cake Boards, Round Cake Boards for 10 Inch Cakes
Icing Spatula, 7.5" - 10.8" - 12.8" Offset Cake Spatula Set with Wooden Handle by 1Easylife, Professional Stainless Steel Cake Decorating Spatulas (4"-6"-8" Blade)
Ultra Cuisine 100% Stainless Steel Wire Cooling Rack for Baking fits Half Sheet Pans Cool Cookies, Cakes, Breads - Oven Safe for Cooking, Roasting, Grilling - Heavy Duty Commercial Quality
Ateco 612 Revolving Cake Decorating Stand, 12" Round, Cast Iron Base with 1/8" Aluminum Top
Wilton Easy Flex Silicone Spatula Set, Your Go-To Tools for Mixing, Folding, Scraping, Cooking and Serving., Blue, 3-Piece
Pyrex Prepware 2-Cup Measuring Cup, Red Graphics, Clear
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 390Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 45mgSodium: 256mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 2gSugar: 31gProtein: 7g
Related Posts from other blogs, you might enjoy
If you share on social media, be sure to #lifeslittlesweets and link back to the post, thank you in advance!
What occasion would you make this cake for? Let me know in the comments below, Thank you! Best, ~Sara xo