Many of us have been told to not eat dirt. There are always exceptions and these Dirt Cake Cups are a fun way to break the rules. Perfect for a family-friendly get-together or child’s birthday party!
Estimated reading time: 3 minutes
Table of contents
Dirt Cake Cups
Way back in 1991 I was a senior in high school.
Everyone was required to take a semester of Speech in order to graduate.
It was one of those classes that everyone except a few nerds (like me) dreaded.
(I was also one of the few that enjoyed English class, which ended up being what I studied in college.)
Our first speech had to be a demonstrative speech and this allowed me to combine two things I really enjoyed: cooking and writing.
(A little foreshadowing, perhaps?)
I decided to demonstrate how to make these Dirt Cake Cups.
My speech was a hit because it was so well-written and entertaining.
(Or maybe it was because I shared it with everyone afterward, I can’t be sure.)
- 16 oz. whipped topping
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Two 3.9 oz boxes instant chocolate pudding
- 20 chocolate sandwich cookies
- 7 oz. package gummy worms
- 2 medium mixing bowls
- Hand mixer
- Rolling pin
- 1 gallon-sized zipper bag
- Ice cream scoop
- Twenty 9 oz. plastic cups (for serving)
You definitely can make one big dirt cake in a plastic flowerpot if you want.
But what I like most about these Dirt Cake Cups is that when you serve them this way, everyone just grabs their own, and clean up is super simple.
This is especially nice when you have a large gathering and the day is already crazy. I’m all about simplicity.
Hint: If you make these Dirt Cake Cups for a birthday party, the kids won’t even notice if you don’t serve them ice cream.
Pudding tends to do that! Another time- and sanity-saver!
Our Other Recipes and Posts
- Red Velvet Lasagna Dessert Recipe
- Red Velvet Cake Recipe
- Creamy Mashed Potatoes
- Apple Crisp
- Dreamy Lemon Lush Dessert Recipe
- Chocolate Lava Cakes
- Easy Cherry Cheesecake
- Coffee Affogato
- Strawberry Buttermilk Pancakes
- Matcha Green Tea Latte
Have you ever made a “dirt cake” recipe?
Please let me know in the comments below!
- Iced Coffee with Almond Milk
- Uses for Pasta Water
- Delicious Egg Recipes
- Popular and Delicious Winter Seasonal Recipes
- Popular and Delicious Fall Seasonal Recipes
- 16 oz whipped topping
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 3.9 oz boxes instant chocolate pudding, You will also need milk, depending on the brand.
- 20 chocolate sandwich cookies, e.g., Oreos
- 7 oz gummy worms
- Place half of the whipped topping, the cream cheese, and sugar in a medium mixing bowl.
- Mix well with a hand mixer and set aside.
- In another medium mixing bowl, prepare the chocolate pudding as directed on the box and chill for 10 minutes.
- Place the cookies in a zippered plastic bag and use a rolling pin to crush.
- In 9 oz disposable plastic cups layer the pudding, cream cheese mixture, pudding again, and then plain whipped topping. (Use an ice cream scoop for the pudding.)
- Chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Add the crushed cookies and gummy worms on top right before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. #CommissionsEarned #ad
Pyrex Prepware 2-Cup Glass Measuring Cup
Homestia Gold Measuring Cups and Spoons Set Stainless Steel 8 PIECE for Dry and Liquid Ingredients Engraved Measurement Heavy Duty Baking & Cooking Utensils
Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls by Finedine (Set of 6) Polished Mirror Finish Nesting Bowl, ¾ - 1.5-3 - 4-5 - 8 Quart - Cooking Supplies
Wilton Easy Flex Silicone Spatula Set, Your Go-To Tools for Mixing, Folding, Scraping, Cooking and Serving., Blue, 3-Piece
Nutrition Information:Yield: 20 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 248Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 15mgSodium: 114mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 0gSugar: 21gProtein: 3g
Please note that the Calculated Nutrition is an estimate at best.