This is a single-layer cake has sophisticated flavor pairings and yet it takes less than one hour to make.
Estimated reading time: 2 minutes
Chocolate Orange Almond Cake (DF)
Hi Everyone, I prepared this recipe for a visiting friend and since it is so easy to make, I was able to also prepare lunch and not feel pressed for time in the kitchen.
It does not create a lot of dishes to clean up, since it can be made using one bowl.
By using orange juice instead of milk, it is a lovely dairy-free cake option for those who have milk sensitivities.
Table of contents
Try using an 8 inch doily to make a delicate design in confectioner’s sugar
- For the all-purpose flour, I used Hodgson Mill, Non-GMO Project Verified Flour (Learn more about the Non-GMO Project Here)
- For the salt, I use Morton Kosher Salt
- For the almond extract, I used Simply Organic Almond Extract
Recipe Notes, Alternatives, and Thoughts
- You can decorate the cake with almond slices or candied citrus.
- Instead of a doily, get creative using intricate lace to be the “confectioner’s sugar stencil.”
The original recipe that inspired this Dairy-Free Chocolate Orange Almond Cake is called “One-Bowl Chocolate Cake” p.168 of the Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book.
Please note: I follow 1/3 cup of cooking oil in the book version versus the online version where it calls for 1/4 cup of cooking oil.
Our Other Recipes and Posts
Check out our Recipe & DIY indexes, visit our Home page to view our latest posts & categories, visit our Blog page to see our posts in consecutive order and, our Shop to see our favorite kitchen tools!
If you make this recipe and post a picture on social media, be sure to #lifeslittlesweets and link back to the post, thank you in advance!
Latest Recipes and Posts
- Maple Syrup Baklava
- Lemon Herb Baked Chicken Tenders
- Yellow Split Pea Soup
- Dill Dijon Garlic Baked Salmon
- January 2021 Coffee Time
If you make this recipe, and like it, please give it a rating in the recipe card below and let us know in the comments at the end of the post.
Thank you for reading and following along!
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 3/4 cup orange juice, preferably organic fresh-squeezed orange juice
- 1/3 cup Canola oil
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 large egg
- about 1 tablespoon of confectioner's (powdered) sugar
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9 x 2-inch cake pan. (*to go completely dairy-free, you can grease the pan with coconut oil)
- Using a large mixing bowl, stir together flour, brown sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt, making sure the dry ingredients are well blended. Add the orange juice, oil, and almond extract. Beat until just combined. Add the egg and beat for a couple of minutes more, then spread the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool the cake in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then remove the cake from the pan. Allow cooling before applying the confectioner's sugar over the doily.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Wilton Greaseproof Doilies, 8-Inch, White Circle, 16-Pack
- Pyrex Glass Measuring Cup Set (3-Piece, Microwave and Oven Safe),Clear
- Wilton Easy Flex Silicone Spatula Set, Your Go-To Tools for Mixing, Folding, Scraping, Cooking and Serving., Blue, 3-Piece
- Homestia Gold Measuring Cups and Spoons Set Stainless Steel 8 PIECE for Dry and Liquid Ingredients Engraved Meaurement Heavy Duty Baking & Cooking Utensils
- AmazonBasics Stainless Steel Wire Whisk Set - 3-Piece
- Wilton Aluminum 8-Inch Round Cake Pan Set, Multipack of 2
- Pyrex Smart Essentials 8-Piece Mixing Bowl Set
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 190Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 16mgSodium: 117mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 1gSugar: 19gProtein: 3g
Please note that the Calculated Nutrition is an estimate at best.