How To Make Buttermilk – Ever wonder how to make buttermilk even if you do not have actual buttermilk? All you need is milk, lemon juice, or white vinegar. (makes 1 cup buttermilk)
Estimated reading time: 3 minutes
Table of contents
How To Make Buttermilk
Hi Everyone, I recently re-posted my first recipe and post on this blog, Gluten-Free Mocha Cake, with updated photos and it occurred to me that I should really have a dedicated recipe tutorial for How to Make Buttermilk.
I find Buttermilk improves the texture of baked recipes like cakes, cupcakes and muffins as well as pancakes and waffles, for example, these Strawberry Buttermilk Pancakes.
Isn’t it the worse when you are making a baking recipe or other recipe and it requires buttermilk, and you don’t have it?
Who wants to take the time to make a special trip to the grocery store to get buttermilk?
Some grocery stores don’t even carry buttermilk!
This tutorial is a quick fix if you find yourself in a bind like this – can you tell that I have in the past? lol.
- lemon juice
- wet measure
- measuring spoons
- spoon or small whisk for stirring
- How to Brown Butter
- Rice Pudding
- Food Processor Pizza Dough
- Bran Muffins
- Decaffeinated Dalgona Coffee
I think you will find this How to Make Buttermilk tutorial useful – especially for baking!
Our Other Recipes and Posts
- Easy Peanut Sauce
- Apple Bundt Cake
- Cornbread Muffins
- Lemon Mint Frappé
- Recipes Readers Are Making Now
- 5 Cinco de Mayo Recipes
- Irish Soda Bread
- Corned Beef and Cabbage
- Chinese New Year Recipe Collection
This post was originally published on 5/14/2018 and updated and republished on 3/11/2021
- 1 cup milk, can be whole milk, 1%, 2% or skim
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice , I use fresh squeezed lemon juice, you can sub same amount white vinegar
- Pour 1 cup milk and add 1 tbsp lemon juice, stir, let it sit for 5 minutes before using.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. #CommissionsEarned #ad
- Homestia Gold Measuring Cups and Spoons Set Stainless Steel 8 PIECE for Dry and Liquid Ingredients Engraved Measurement Heavy Duty Baking & Cooking Utensils
- Pyrex Glass Measuring Cup Set (3-Piece, Microwave and Oven Safe),Clear
- Cuisinart 719-16 Chef's Classic Stainless Saucepan with Cover, 1 1/2 Quart
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1288Total Fat: 55gSaturated Fat: 20gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 31gCholesterol: 217mgSodium: 1935mgCarbohydrates: 123gFiber: 4gSugar: 40gProtein: 79g
Please note that the Calculated Nutrition is an estimate at best.