Strawberry Buttermilk Pancakes: These buttermilk pancakes are thick, fluffy, moist, cake-like pancakes. They work well with fresh strawberries in the batter, on top only or both. Dulce de Leche is another flavor component in this assemblage that provides a smooth, caramel punch of sweet and it compliments the Greek yogurt well.
*This Strawberry Buttermilk Pancakes recipe was first published on 3/30/2015 and updated and published on 1/24/2020
Strawberry Buttermilk Pancakes
Hi Everyone, Greek yogurt is a tasty, versatile ingredient that can be used almost like sour cream in savory dishes, yet has a tartness that lends itself well for sweet flavor combinations. I used it recently as a snack with nuts, oatmeal, dried fruit and maple syrup, then the other night, I dolloped onto a lentil soup, so as I made pancakes this morning, I thought, why wouldn’t it work as an alternative topping to the standard whipped cream? Here’s to having traditional buttermilk pancakes in a fresh, new way!
RELATED: Easy Caramel (Dulce de Leche)
Strawberries can be on top or mixed into the buttermilk pancake batter, here, they are mixed in and on top.
Disclosure: This post contains some affiliate links which means I earn a commission when you utilize them. I only recommend brands and products that I like and enjoy using. Some links are just for educational purposes and sharing pages that I have found helpful.
Ingredients for Strawberry Buttermilk Pancakes
- Flour: Hodgson Mill Organic Flour, Non-GMO Verified
- Baking Powder: Rumford Aluminum-Free Baking Powder
- baking soda
- Morton Kosher Salt
- Kate’s Creamery Real Buttermilk
Alternatives and Ideas for this Strawberry Buttermilk Pancakes Recipe
- Try using whole wheat flour in place of the regular flour and brown sugar instead of the granulated sugar.
- Try whipped cream instead of Greek yogurt, or perhaps make this as a dessert instead of breakfast and serve it with some ice cream.
- Real maple syrup or Nutella make yummy syrup and spread options.
- Instead of strawberries, blueberries or another seasonal fruit.
This combination utilized the recipe “Buttermilk Pancakes,” p.137 of the Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book.
You can buy Dulce de Leche, but sometimes it can be difficult to find in the store. While this way is easy, it does take 3 + hours to make it, plus time for it to cool, so it is best to prepare it ahead of time. You can make a few cans of it at a time, and it will keep for months in the refrigerator and you can use it for so many things, for example, with coffee, a spread, in a cake or on top of ice cream, just to name a few.
Our Other Recipes & Posts
- Soft Strawberry Scones (V)
- Chicken Tetrazzini Recipe
- 5-Ingredient White Pizza
- Apple Carrot Raisin Chicken Salad
- Strawberry Banana Caramel Frozen Yogurt
- 21 Valentine’s Day Recipes
- Chocolate Caramel Dipped Pretzels
- Top 5 Recipes of 2015
- Check out our Recipe index and DIY index and visit our Home page to view our latest posts
If you share on social media, be sure to #lifeslittlesweets and link back to the post, thank you in advance!
- 1-3/4 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, , with extra for sprinkling
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, , slightly beaten
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk, (If you don't have buttermilk handy, you can make it using regular milk and add 1 tablespoon of either lemon juice or white vinegar per 1 cup of milk and let stand for 5 minutes.)
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil, , I use extra light olive oil
- *Optional fruit: chopped strawberries or another available fruit
- *Optional syrup or spread I used Dulce de Leche, , *See Recipe Credits below on how to make it.
- *Dollop of Whole milk Greek yogurt, , I use Chobani whole milk yogurt
- *Optional Sprinkle with granulated sugar
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In another bowl, stir together egg, buttermilk, and oil. Add egg mixture to dry mixed ingredients. Stir until just combined. It's okay if the batter is slightly lumpy. Add desired fruit in the batter or on top later.
- Using a 1/4 cup measure, scoop the batter onto a heated, lightly greased, non-stick, large skillet, cook over medium heat for 1-2 minutes, on each side or until desired browning is achieved. Serve warm with a dollop of Greek yogurt and desired syrup. Optionally, sprinkle with some granulated sugar.*Prep and cook time does not include the time to prepare the dulce de leche.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Lodge 12 Inch Cast Iron Skillet. Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Skillet with Red Silicone Hot Handle Holder.
Homestia Gold Measuring Cups and Spoons Set Stainless Steel 8 PIECE for Dry and Liquid Ingredients Engraved Meaurement Heavy Duty Baking & Cooking Utensils
AmazonBasics Stainless Steel Wire Whisk Set - 3-Piece
Pyrex Smart Essentials 8-Piece Mixing Bowl Set
Pyrex Prepware 2-Cup Measuring Cup, Red Graphics, Clear
Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls by Finedine (Set of 6) Polished Mirror Finish Nesting Bowl, ¾ - 1.5-3 - 4-5 - 8 Quart - Cooking Supplies
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 592Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 21mgSodium: 285mgCarbohydrates: 111gFiber: 4gSugar: 13gProtein: 18g
Please note that the Calculated Nutrition is an estimate at best.