Making Instant Pot Lentils is so easy in our favorite pressure cooker, the Instant Pot. You can use these lentils to top salads, in wraps, or as a side with dinner. So easy, healthy, and delicious! (vegan option, gluten-free)
Estimated reading time: 4 minutes
Instant Pot Lentils
Hi Everyone, lentils are one of our FAVORITE foods.
They are legumes and so good for you.
It’s a bonus that they are also inexpensive, making meal planning and preparation easier for your grocery budget.
The neat thing about lentils is that they are so versatile and can be used in so many ways.
You can put them on salads, in a wrap, or as a side with dinner.
There are lots of ways to season the lentils too.
You can add your favorite spices (curry and cumin go well), garlic, use water or go for vegetable/chicken broth and adjust the salt and pepper.
- 2 cups green or brown dry lentils, rinsed
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 4 cups water, chicken or vegetable broth, adjust the amount of salt if you use chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, crushed and chopped optional, to add more flavor
- Instant Pot (I have had an 8-quart Instant Pot DUO, I currently have a 6-quart Instant Pot DUO)
We link to all of our ingredients and helpful kitchen tools that we use for this recipe in the full, printable recipe card at the end of the post.
If you make these Instant Pot Lentils and like them, please rate the recipe and leave a comment below, thank you for reading and following along!
Our Other Recipes and Posts
View these popular and related recipe posts on Life’s Little Sweets:
- Cinnamon Oatmeal Cookies
- Easy Breakfast Mug Cake
- Pan-Fried Tomatoes
- Homemade Carrot Ginger Soup
- Sweetened Condensed Milk Coffee
- Blue Butterfly Pea Flower Tea Recipe
- Perfect Snickerdoodle Cookies
- Tomato Basil Mozzarella Puff Pastry Tart
- Perfect Coconut Cream Lush Dessert Recipe
- Mason Jar Tiramisu Trifle
- No-Knead Oatmeal Bread
- Slow Cooker Recipes Collection
- Healthy Recipes Collection
- Easy Mushroom Orzo with Basil Pesto
- Rice Recipes Collection
- How to Make Half and Half
- Pan-Fried Fairytale Eggplant
- Wacky Cake
- Red Raspberry Leaf Tea
- Egg In a Hole Bagel
This Instant Pot Lentils recipe post was first published on 1/19/2018; It was updated and republished on 10/15/2020, updated 1/13/2021
To saute garlic (optional step)
- Put Instant Pot on saute setting and saute the garlic in oil until it's lightly browned, this should only take a few minutes. Press cancel when the garlic is adequately cooked (it should be translucent and lightly browned).
To Make the Lentils
- Add rinsed lentils to the Instant Pot and add the water (or the same amount chicken/vegetable broth) and salt (adjust the amount of salt, if there's salt in the chicken/vegetable broth). Cover the Instant Pot. Make sure the quick release handle is on "Sealing". Cook on the "Multigrain" setting and allow to cook.
- When the Instant Pot is done cooking the lentils, before opening the lid, make sure that the pressure valve has gone down (and/or the "quick release" handle is on "venting"). Open the Instant Pot and the lentils are ready to use!
- I have an 6 & 8-quart Instant Pot Duo
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- OXO Good Grips Soft-Handled Garlic Press
- Maldon Sea Salt Flakes 1.5kg/3.3lbs Tub
- Totally Bamboo Salt Box, Bamboo Storage Box with Magnetic Swivel Lid, "Salt" Engraved on Lid
- Morton Salt Kosher Salt, 3 lbs, Pack of 2
- Pyrex Prepware 2-Cup Glass Measuring Cup
- Homestia Gold Measuring Cups and Spoons Set Stainless Steel 8 PIECE for Dry and Liquid Ingredients Engraved Measurement Heavy Duty Baking & Cooking Utensils
- Instant Pot IP-DUO60 7-in-1 Programmable Pressure Cooker, 6qt/1000W, Latest 3rd Generation Technology, Stainless Steel Cooking Pot and Exterior
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 177Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 16mgSodium: 422mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 4gSugar: 1gProtein: 14g
Please note that the Calculated Nutrition is an estimate at best.