This Gnocchi recipe is a “from scratch” recipe using potatoes, flour, 1 large egg and salt. It’s simple, easy and so delicious, especially mixed with your favorite sauce and topped with fresh chopped herbs.
Hi Everyone, I’m excited to share this recipe, it’s actually a follow up to and based on another recipe on the blog, Sweet Potato Gnocchi. This Gnocchi recipe is made with regular white potatoes, they could be Russets, Yellow/Yukon Gold or Maine potatoes. I taught myself the way to form the Gnocchi shape which holds the pasta sauce nicely and included process photos in the recipe card.
This Gnocchi recipe is a total winner at our house because my husband and I both love it and since it’s similar to pasta, we can get the kiddos to eat it as well. I usually make this for a dinner meal but it would work great as a lunch meal too. 1 recipe of this Gnocchi goes pretty fast and if there are leftovers, they get gobbled up the next day for lunch.
RELATED: Easy Peanut Sauce and Baked Sweet Potato Fries Recipe
How many servings does this recipe make?
This recipe makes about 95 Gnocchi and it serves 2-4 servings, depending on how large a portion you want to give.
RELATED: 5 Cinco de Mayo Recipes
What Ingredients do you need for this Gnocchi Recipe?
- I used 3 small white potatoes that made 1 cup of cooked, mashed potato (no skins) for the recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt, plus more for serving
- fresh ground black pepper, amount to taste, for serving
- your favorite sauce, for serving
- fresh herbs (thyme, parsley and chives are all good) for serving, amount to taste
I love that this recipe doesn’t require too many ingredients and it’s super flexible. I’m writing this recipe post during the Covid-19 pandemic and we have been in self-quarantine now since mid-March in NJ and being able to make a nice dinner that everyone can enjoy, that’s perhaps out of the same everyday routine is just SO NICE. It’s a bonus that it’s totally homemade, yet actually very simple to do. If I can do it while near the end of my pregnancy with 2 kids under 6, while conducting e-learning/homeschooling for my kindergartner, you can too!
RELATED: How to Make Rice in a Rice Cooker
RELATED: Corned Beef and Cabbage and Air Fryer Recipes Collection
RELATED: Irish Soda Bread and Mocha Coffee
RELATED: Wacky Cake and Mocha Coffee
RELATED: 2-Ingredient Chocolate Sauce Syrup and Air Fryer Egg Rolls
RELATED: Marshmallows and Pop Tarts
RELATED: Sesame Chicken and Crème Brûlée
RELATED: Sriracha Mayonnaise and Carrot Pumpkin Soup
RELATED: Bran Muffins and Cake Recipes Collection
RELATED: Stir-Fried Ginger Garlic Broccoli
RELATED: Mint Pesto
RELATED: Edible Cookie Dough
RELATED: Recipes Readers Are Making Now (during the Covid-19 2020 pandemic)
RELATED: 8 Perfect Easter Recipes
Gnocchi Recipe Process Photos
Here are some photos of the recipe process:
RELATED: Hops Flower Tea
RELATED: Dandelion Fritters
RELATED: Steamed Broccoli Rabe Rapini
RELATED: Air Fryer Sweet Potato Chips and Caprese Pizza
RELATED: How to Roast a Chicken
RELATED: Egg Carrot Salad and Maple Recipes Collection
RELATED: Irish Coffee and Air Fryer Beet Chips
RELATED: Air Fryer Tofu and Strawberry Lemonade
RELATED: French Fry Recipes Collection and Cold Brew Hibiscus Tea
RELATED: Sweet Potato Recipes Collection and Lilac Flower Tea and Palmiers
If you try this Gnocchi recipe, and like it, please give the recipe a rating in the recipe card below, and let us know in the comments. Thank you for reading and following along!
RELATED: Homemade Zuppa Toscana and Lilac Flower Honey
- 1 cup white potatoes, mashed (baked, skins removed and mashed)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt, for salting water, plus more for serving
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper, for serving
- fresh herbs like chives, thyme or parsley, chopped
- Bake the potatoes for 1 hour in a preheated 350 degree oven, prior to making the gnocchi. (This is also a great way to use up leftover sweet potatoes!)
- In a large pot of water, bring salted water to boil.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the mashed potatoes, flour and egg until you have an evenly mixed dough.
- Over a floured surface (or pastry mat), divide dough into 3 sections with a dough scraper, roll the dough into long "snakes" and using the dough scraper cut into 1/2 inch pieces that resemble pillows. Now you can stop there or shape them into a traditional gnocchi shape by using your thumb and rolling it down the tines of a fork, so that there's a little impression the middle.
- Drop the gnocchi into the boiling water and when it rises to the top, remove and drain. This should only take 3-5 minutes, it cooks fast! Enjoy with your favorite pasta sauce or drizzle with olive oil and garnish with herbs (chives pictured). Salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!
- This recipe makes about 95 Gnocchi and it serves 2-4 servings, depending on how large a portion you want to give.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Victorinox Fibrox Pro Chef's Knife, 8-Inch Chef's FFP
- Gorilla Grip Original Reversible Cutting Board (3-Piece) BPA Free, Dishwasher Safe, Juice Grooves, Larger Thicker Boards, Easy Grip Handle, Non Porous, Extra Large, Kitchen (Set of Three: Black)
- AmazonBasics Stainless Steel Kitchen Dinner Forks with Pearled Edge, Set of 12
- OXO Good Grips Multi-purpose Stainless Steel Scraper & Chopper
- Non-slip Silicone Pastry Mat Extra Large with Measurements 28''By 20'' for Silicone Baking Mat, Counter Mat, Dough Rolling Mat,Oven Liner,Fondant/Pie Crust Mat By Folksy Super Kitchen (2028, red)
- Calphalon 5-Piece Nylon Kitchen Cooking Utensil Set
- Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls by Finedine (Set of 6) Polished Mirror Finish Nesting Bowl, ¾ - 1.5-3 - 4-5 - 8 Quart - Cooking Supplies
- Pyrex Prepware 2-Cup Measuring Cup, Red Graphics, Clear
- Homestia Gold Measuring Cups and Spoons Set Stainless Steel 8 PIECE for Dry and Liquid Ingredients Engraved Meaurement Heavy Duty Baking & Cooking Utensils
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 616Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 94mgSodium: 1452mgCarbohydrates: 114gFiber: 6gSugar: 2gProtein: 19g
Please note that the Calculated Nutrition is an estimate at best.