Mint Pesto is made with fresh mint which is then blanched and blended with pine nuts (or almonds), Parmesan cheese, fresh, garlic, olive oil salt & pepper. Enjoy this mint pesto recipe on pasta, as a spread on toast, with salad, or other recipes.
Estimated reading time: 8 minutes
Table of contents
Hi Everyone, this Mint Pesto recipe is what I start making as soon as my mint is ready to harvest in the early Spring.
It’s a great way to use up lots of mint since it’s usually so plentiful.
This Mint Pesto recipe is so clean and vegetal, I love having it on pasta for lunch or dinner.
It compliments vegetables, chicken, meat/lamb, or fish.
It also goes great on eggs.
I will put it right into a garden fresh salad as well.
What Diet Lifestyles Does this Mint Pest Adhere to?
This Mint Pesto is vegetarian.
It has cheese in it but you can make it vegan by using vegan Parmesan cheese.
It’s gluten-free (just check all labels to make sure there are no traces of gluten in them).
Also, this can adhere to Whole30, as long as all the ingredients are whole food ingredients.
What kinds of Mint do you use in Mint Pesto?
I use a blend of mint from my garden where I have Peppermint, Spearmint, and Mojito Mint.
You can use one variety or a blend.
You can also use other greens with mint-like parsley, kale, dill, and/or cilantro.
Use creatively whatever you have!
Let me know in the comments below what greens and/types of mint you use.
- Andes Mint Cookies
- Maraschino Cherry Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Christmas M&M Cookies
- Melting Snowman Sugar Cookies
- Donut Christmas Tree
If you try this Mint Pesto recipe and like it, please leave a recipe rating in the recipe card below and let us know how it came out in the comments below.
Thank you for reading and following along!
- 2 ounces (2 cups) mint leaves (can be any mint leaves, I use Mojito mint, Spearmint and Peppermint in my garden, you can cut it with other greens too, like parsley or basil, as long as it adds up to 2 ounces)
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded (or same amount Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil (or the same amount regular olive oil)
- 1/3 cup pine nuts (or substitute the same amount almonds or almond flour)
- 1-2 fresh garlic cloves, peeled, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, amount to taste (I would do 1/4 teaspoon to start and then taste it and adjust)
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, amount to taste
- To Blanche The Mint: Bring a medium-large pot to boil with salted water (about 1 teaspoon kosher salt). When it's boiling, add the mint and cook 1 minute or less (it just needs to be wilted). Remove and put on a plate covered in paper towels. Press the blanched mint to remove all excess water. *See notes on blanching.
- To Make the Mint Pesto: In a food processor, add all the ingredients and pulse several times until the desired texture is reached. You can also just leave it on for 30 seconds, and check it. You might need to scrape down the sides to ensure all the ingredients are evenly blended. Add more of certain ingredients to adjust to your taste. Serve right away or store in a lidded mason jar in the refrigerator (use within 1-2 days). Enjoy with pasta, bread or whatever you would like it with!
- Storage: store in a lidded mason jar in the refrigerator (use within 1-2 days)
- Blanching the Mint vs. Not Blanching the Mint: I always Blanche the mint (make sure to remove all stems or else it will be too strong!) because it makes the mint more subtle and less "minty" since mint can be pretty strong. It also reduces the chance of the leaves becoming oxidized (turning brown); the mint pesto will look more light green if you make it with blanched mint greens.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. #CommissionsEarned #ad
Cuisinart DFP-14BCNY 14-Cup Food Processor, Brushed Stainless Steel
Cuisinart CTG-00-3MS Set of 3 Fine Mesh Stainless Steel Strainers
Hiware Set of 3 Stainless Steel Skimmer Spider Strainer, 13.8 Inches, 15 Inches & 16.4 Inches, Wire Skimmer with Spiral Mesh, Professional Grade Handle Skimmer Spoon/Ladle for Spaetzle/Chips
Calphalon 5-Piece Nylon Kitchen Cooking Utensil Set
Homestia Gold Measuring Cups and Spoons Set Stainless Steel 8 PIECE for Dry and Liquid Ingredients Engraved Measurement Heavy Duty Baking & Cooking Utensils
Pyrex Prepware 2-Cup Measuring Cup, Red Graphics, Clear
HÖLM 3-Piece Stainless Steel Mesh Micro-Perforated Strainer Colander Set (1-Quart, 2.5-Quart and 4.5-Quart)
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 242Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 20gCholesterol: 6mgSodium: 217mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 4g
Please note that the Calculated Nutrition is an estimate at best.